Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #31
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeXXL View Post
It isn't that easy as I'm forced to use it whether I like it or not.
Can't agree with you here, none can "force" you to use something you don't want.

I don't want it, I don't use Steam, simple as that. Period.
If others want it and use it, fine by me, as long they're happy with that system.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 14-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #32
KrazeeXXL
BORG

when I want to stay legal I must use it. Otherwise I have to look for other "solutions".

That is all.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 14-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That doesn't make much sense.
Old 14-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Marketers never allow common sense to stop them.
Old 14-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #35
KrazeeXXL
BORG

Thumbs down

my, don't pretend you're not knowing what I'm talking about. kinda ridiculous...

So it doesn't make much sense that I just can play a game like DX:HR with Steam? or have to use cracks or an illegal copy otherwise?

edit: if you're assuming that not playing the game is the option then... erm yea... just stop commenting... lol

as this makes no sense at all

@Eagle of Fire: there's a difference between a forum and a chatroom.

Last edited by KrazeeXXL; 14-01-2012 at 10:46 PM.
KrazeeXXL is offline                         Send a private message to KrazeeXXL
Old 15-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #36
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Yup. Which is exactly why you don't seem me posting often in the chatbox at the bottom of the forums...
Old 15-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #37
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Nah Krazee, you misunderstand me, I know exactly what you mean, but I think that doesn't make much sense. It seems like you're saying the equivalent of "these shoes don't come in my exact size so I'm going to steal them instead."

As in, that's the way the product is being sold, just because you happen to disagree with part of it does not mean you are "forced" into pirating the thing. It's a computer game, not a human right.

To be clear, I don't have any issue with the pirating thing, and that's really a discussion for another thread if anyone wants to have it, I can't be bothered having a massive derail about that, this is our mighty Steam Appreciation Thread
Old 15-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #38
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post

Steam, Games for Windows Live and other similar products are all the same as far as I am concerned. How they are handled doesn't matter in the slightest: you still need to be online for it to work.
Although Steam prefers to be online.
It's NOT a 100% requirement.

Once a game in the list has done it's first time setup through steam, you can play it while steam is in offline mode.

I use that on occasion when my connection is just too cr@p to load anything.

Requirements for offline play are:
- Steam must be allowed to store user credentials.
(My own laptop, so no problem of anyone else logging in on my stuff)
- Game has to be started while online @least once to set up and check for patches.
- your internet has to be out 100%.
(if steam detects even the slightest hint of a connection it will try to go online)

Also. On the 100mb use.
It's only using 50mb of RAM here. So that's 50% LESS then all of you say.
It is also just 10% of what Firefox is using on my laptop.
(above average amount off add-ons + a lot of pages open in tabs)

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 15-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

While it is true, you still need to be online to be able to get the games. To download them, which take time. That was the point and I think you yourself speak for it when you say that you play offline when your net connection is zero: if it is then you simply cannot get a new game either, right? Also, if you got a computer without the net on it (which should not be too rare for computers which are dedicated to run old games), you're boned.

That's a huge difference if you compare that to the "normal" way of acquiring stuff. Even online purchases like Ebay and similar, while also being an online service, allow you to simply do a quick visit anywhere (say, an internet café) and then eagerly await your stuff at home to install it normally.

Also, what does exactly mean"(if steam detects even the slightest hint of a connection it will try to go online)"? I'd be interested to have more information about that.

Quote:
It seems like you're saying the equivalent of "these shoes don't come in my exact size so I'm going to steal them instead."

As in, that's the way the product is being sold, just because you happen to disagree with part of it does not mean you are "forced" into pirating the thing. It's a computer game, not a human right.
Sorry, but your analogy is flawed at several levels.

If your analogy was correct then you would need to say something akin to: "shoe companies does produce my shoe size but they simply refuse to sell them to my country for whatever reason. All of them. So I am left either choosing nothing or trying to "steal" it from them since they store them right next door..."

Old 15-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #40
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Quote:
allow you to simply do a quick visit anywhere (say, an internet café) and then eagerly await your stuff at home to install it normally.
Seeing you are so prone to keep your personal info safe I'm rather amazed you even suggest an internet café.
In my opinion that's the best way to be hit by any info stealing virus or info stealing web redirects as you never know what anyone else has dumped or looked at on those machines.

Quote:
Also, what does exactly mean"(if steam detects even the slightest hint of a connection it will try to go online)"? I'd be interested to have more information about that.
If you start steam and your internet connection is trying to connect online any possible way. Steam will attempt to go online. (and fail totally)
So for offline to work finally you need to turn off the wifi and disconnect the net cable.

And one more note.
All those Digital services (Steam, GFWL, Origin, etc.) are aimed mostly for games that are rather new (between last 5~8 years @max) and are for multiplayer gaming. (with an additional single player story if you're lucky) And thus need internet on their own even IF you buy it off e-Bay, etc.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO