Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

So i fired my old comp(P1 @ 166 Mhz, 96 RAM-don't ask me why i have so much-, 2 Mb S3 Trio Video Card-PCI of course-) yesterday and i tried to install Kyrandia 1.I installed it, ran the setup, everything went smooth.I started the game, the movie played until the bit were the narrator says something about malcolm stealing the kyragem, and wreaking havoc in kyrandia.Then it looks for something on the cd(i have the full game), and suddently i get this message:
"*** Hymem.sys Error (A7) *** Run setup and remove XMS and HMA usage.

Memory allocation error
Cannot load COMMAND, system halted."

Progress so far:
1.Reinstalled DOS - didn't solve anything
2.Removed some RAM cartridges - didn't solve anything
3.Tried fiddling with the hymem & emm386 command parameters, no success

Particularities:
The problem only appears to westwood games.I successfully played ufo, but i couldn't play Kyrandia 2 because of the same problem

Similarities:
I had the same problem when trying to run Kyrandia 2.This time the intro movie finishes, i enter a new game, zanthia says oh my god i have been robed(yes it's also the full cd version), and then it says please wait loading data from the CD, it checks the CD, then it restarts(there is no error prompt).

Misc:
1.I have enough memory to run it, so it isn't a case of not enough memory(i had 625(!) k base memory and enough XMS memory -imagine 96 Mb ram )
2.It seems to be some sort of cd rom -memory conflict
3.The cd is good, i ran the game flawlessly a few weeks ago

I leave this case in your capable hands :help:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 30-03-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
wallymian

Hi Omuletzu,
it seems like a weird problem with HIMEM.SYS and emulation of upper memory blocks usually set up by this command in CONFIG.SYS file: DOS=HIGH,UMB
Finally the game itself cry about not using XMS memory that's provided by switching parameters once again in CONFIG.SYS file. It's maintained by EMM386.EXE.

Please, attach here your actual CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.
I will read it through to find suitable solution otherwise your only chance will be emulation

/wallymian :bye:
wallymian is offline                         Send a private message to wallymian
Old 30-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What version of DOS are you using?

Also, is your CD-Rom driver working fine?
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 31-03-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

the ESS line is related to my sound card

My CD rom is working fine anubis(i'm using MSCDEX drivers, provided by DOS 7.1-the version i'm currently using)
I've attached the archive containing the two files
Old 12-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Move this line:

DEVICE=C:\ESSUTIL\ES1868.COM /A:0 /I:0

belove this one:

DEVICE=C:\DOS71\EMM386.EXE RAM

Make it DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS71\EMM386.EXE RAM

Also remove double path line in autoexec.

What game you having problem with?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Since this has been revive, please merge my two topics, eagle, as the other one contains relevant info regarding the subject...
Are you sure Anubis? Those lines were inserted there by my soundcard config utility...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Two problems: I don't know which thread is the second thread you are refering to and my Moderator powers are not powerfull enough to allow me to merge two threads together...

Edit: Anyways, I closed the other thread and here is what you said in it:
Quote:
yep it's me again.I didn't want to revive that topic, because i have some updates, so in case anybody can help me:
Because i couldn't find the solution, i tried to go about it the newbie way.Like this:
I said okay the problem can be of two causes:
1.Hardware
2.Software
So i set out to replace every hardware component that could affect the game.
So i switched the video card with an older one, i fiddled with the RAM cartridges, formatted the HDD, switched between ESS 1868 and 1869, to see if the soundcard is the cause, AND i even went through changing my motherboard, along with the processor... so having checked all the components that could influence the game(the source(or whatever it is called in english), and the floppy couldn't affect the game me thinks)
So here i turn to you(again).Hence the error is memory related, i need a DOS tool that scans the memory for bad blocks, or something like this.It is wierd though that both the start up memory scan AND the more thorough himem scan DO NOT report any errors.
Also i have searched through the extensive DOS help, and found out that emm(or himem, can't remember) has a command to block programs access to certain memory blocks.Now sometime in the past i got an error saying something like this (the idiot me didn't bother the note down the error ):
Emm386 has found an error in memory block xxx, where xxx was a memory block value.If only i would have noted that value down, the problem would have been solved now .Needless to say i tried to make that error come up again, but i failed.I even reinstalled DOS, in the hopes that the error would come again...
Also, did you look at the quoted guide at the end of this thread second post?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes, I am sure. First install memory manager, and then other devices.
Old 13-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

No problem, eagle, i'll just repost my message

Because i couldn't find the solution, i tried to go about it the newbie way.Like this:
I said okay the problem can be of two causes:
1.Hardware
2.Software
So i set out to replace every hardware component that could affect the game.
So i switched the video card with an older one, i fiddled with the RAM cartridges, formatted the HDD, switched between ESS 1868 and 1869, to see if the soundcard is the cause, AND i even went through changing my motherboard, along with the processor... so having checked all the components that could influence the game(the source(or whatever it is called in english), and the floppy couldn't affect the game me thinks)
So here i turn to you(again).Hence the error is memory related, i need a DOS tool that scans the memory for bad blocks, or something like this.It is wierd though that both the start up memory scan AND the more thorough himem scan DO NOT report any errors.
Also i have searched through the extensive DOS help, and found out that emm(or himem, can't remember) has a command to block programs access to certain memory blocks.Now sometime in the past i got an error saying something like this (the idiot me didn't bother the note down the error ):
Emm386 has found an error in memory block xxx, where xxx was a memory block value.If only i would have noted that value down, the problem would have been solved now .Needless to say i tried to make that error come up again, but i failed.I even reinstalled DOS, in the hopes that the error would come again...

I checked that thread now, eagle, and i didn't see anything interesting... this is not you standard memory error
I'll try that anubis, but i don't think it will solve anything, as the error is memory related... keep trying, i'll get back to you with the answer
Old 15-04-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
wallymian

Hi Omuletzu,
I sent you PM, please check it

/wallymian
wallymian is offline                         Send a private message to wallymian