Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-12-2004, 03:31 AM   #1
UberDave
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to UberDave Send a message via AIM to UberDave Send a message via MSN to UberDave Send a message via Yahoo to UberDave

I just got a Toshiba e400 Pocket PC running Micorosft Windows Mobile 2003 second edition. This is my first PDA and so obviously I was curious about playing classic games on the go. So far i've been overjoyed with my sucsess so I thought I would start a thread to share what I had learnt and see if anyone else knew any tips or tricks that they would be willing to share.

ScummVm for the pocket PC is the best thing ever. yup. ever. I've been on several long plane flights lately but playing Beneath a steel sky and Flight of the amazon queen (talkie versions) has kept me more than entertained.

PocketNes is also great, infact i've found emulators for loads of systems Zophar's Domain is a great resource and we all know the score with roms Only proble mi've had so far is that I can only press one button at a time on my Pocket PC, some emulators allow you to map keys on screen but this always slows the game down unaceptably, anyone know a way round that? I've even managed to get a Playstation emulator to work!

A sierra Game emulator is also available from sourceforge Sarien from Sourceforge Kings quest and police quest bring it on.

Ok so Lucas games, sierra games, all types of emulators and remakes of loads of classic games are available (including worms world party!!) my only dream is to get DosBox up and running at an acceptable speed. I've been doing some research and so far i've found a handful of commercial and freeware dos emulators that will happily run an 8086 or an 8186 proccesor at about 6mhz, this is fine for the real old games but i'm dying to get a bit more power out of my handheld. Playing red alert or syndicate would be too amazing. Better than sex. Ok maybe not but it would be amazing! So anyway i've found this link mamaich.kasone.com which seems to hav eit all figured out, it involves installing several seperate applications and then finally a direct DosBox port. I'm gonna try this out and see if I have any luck. I'm a bit scared cause this seems to be too good to be true. I'm going home tommorow (x-mas family stuff almost over!) so i'll give it a go and see if I have any luck.

Let me know if anyone else out there is doing any pocket pc gaming.

Peace

k:
UberDave is offline                         Send a private message to UberDave
Old 29-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
Data
retired

that dosbox overthere is relatively old

the latest version 0.63 has some special cpu core that should be faster with pocket pcs and alike.

It would be nice to know how well it runs though as oneday i might have one myself
Old 30-12-2004, 01:39 AM   #3
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Anyone with a symbian UIQ-phone can use EScummVM.. works like a dream.. - Proven by Myself and Kosta
Old 01-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
UberDave
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to UberDave Send a message via AIM to UberDave Send a message via MSN to UberDave Send a message via Yahoo to UberDave

ok i've been playing for a couple of days trying to get DosBox running on my pocket pc and I haven't had any luck. Nyidiot Virtual Display isn't supported on Windows Mobile 2003 SE yet which is just one of the programs necessary inorder to get DosBox to finally run. Oh well hopefully some updates will be available soon. I'll post again if I hear anything.

Happy new year

Old 01-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I know nothing about pocket PC... But do you have WinXP installed on it?

If not, that's why it's not working... :angel:
Old 01-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
UberDave
Forum hobbit

Nope i'm afraid you can't get WinXP for Pocket PC. Funnily enough though some crazy people have got Windows 98 running on a pocket pc using Bochs. Follow this link if your interested.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
mika
Games Master

Hey, have you found a GBA emulator for pocket PC at all?
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 02-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #8
UberDave
Forum hobbit

Zophar's Domain

Follow this link for GBA emulators, I haven't tried them yet, let me know how you get on with them.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
xoopx
Hero Gamer

i believe someone sells a controller thing attachment for pocket pc gaming
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 02-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
UberDave
Forum hobbit

I've been looking for something like that, i've found ipaq ones but nothing that will work with my pocket pc.

I think I could make one though and write a driver for it, i'll see how bored I get this term at university!

if anyone see's a toshiba e400 compatible controller let me know thanbks.