Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Today, I am installing a new game to my computer. I'm about sure the game will probably be pleasant enough to warrant the purchase, just as I am sure I will probably only play it a while and then get bored of it and that there is only a small chance that I ever get to play it "to the end". But I'm okay with that, just like I been used to since several years to forget about "innovation" and "originality" in new games...

But today, it all changed. When I opened the box, I fiddled with what was inside, opening the smaller box inside the bigger one to get all the goodies, glanced at the manual (which is already a good sign since it seem to be quite big) then took the publicity and registration card aside since I never even look at these. Then, when I took the carefully wrapped CD case, knowing that I would as always have to fight my way thru the wrap so I could finnaly take the CD out and place it in my CD-Rom... It striked me.

There was a little red plastic "wire", for the lack of a better name, almost invisible to the left of the plastic wrap around the case. All I had to do with it was to tear it at one side of the CD, pull on it, and it was over. No fighting, no tearing, no need of another instrument other than my nails and teeth, nothing! And the most stupid part of this is that I've seen similar things years, if not a douzain years ago on completely different products. All what was needed was for someone to actually think about it, and package it that way.

At that very moment, I could not stop myself about thinking that it was the best inovation in PC gaming I've seen in a long, long time...

I'm so ashamed of the PC gaming industry, I think I'm going to go to my bedroom to cry in fetal position.
Old 22-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

Uhm, innovation? :P
I don't know about other places, but it's been quite common here
Old 22-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Unfortunately... LOL

I don't know about your game, but last two games I purchased came in new plastic boxes, similar to DVD/PS2 movie/game boxes, but much ticker. This allows multi CD/DVD games to be places inside. I have to say that I love this packaging.

What game did you get?
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 22-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well, I like the idea that you got a printed manual with it! That's a real rebirth! USually I just get .pdf manuals on the disk and need to print them out for easier usage
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Best innovation since sliced bread, is that?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Feb 22 2006, 07:23 AM
Well, I like the idea that you got a printed manual with it! That's a real rebirth! USually I just get .pdf manuals on the disk and need to print them out for easier usage*
I'm with Seb on this. I can't stand it when a game only comes with a PDF manual! I don't have a laptop (well, I do, but it belongs to my employer and stays at work unless I'm on-call), so how am I supposed to read a PDF in bed? Or on the toilet? No, I don't wish to use half a ream of paper and several pounds of toner to print it out. Game companies that don't include paper manuals are just plain cheap.

(I was pleased to discover that Civ IV came with a hefty manual and a poster with all sorts of useful info on it. Thanks, Sid!)
Old 22-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Civ 4 came with a hefty but rubbish manual I found - it's poorly written, and insults my intelligence by putting things like "right click" in inverted commas ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT! Arrrgh! Besides, half of it's no longer accurate after the patches
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 22-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

All Sid's games come with great manuals.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 22-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@Feb 22 2006, 02:04 PM
Civ 4 came with a hefty but rubbish manual I found - it's poorly written, and insults my intelligence by putting things like "right click" in inverted commas ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT! Arrrgh!
In the version of the manual I have, those things are in brackets ([right-click], [mouse over]) each time they're mentioned, which I found very bizarre. I haven't read the whole thing yet, so I don't really know how useful it is.

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@Feb 22 2006, 02:04 PM
Besides, half of it's no longer accurate after the patches
No doubt. Not much can be done about that, though.
Old 22-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Lucullus
Super Freak

That's where the readme file is in function. After each update you get the option to see the readme file to find out what changes have been made and what part of the manual to ignore
Lucullus is offline                         Send a private message to Lucullus