Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

I opted in Google+ long ago, I can't remember the reason, probably none, although I expected that the change would be compulsory after a period, like it's now revealed. I just don't post stuff intentionally on it (don't use it as a social network), and I don't have any picture or personal information or even my complete name on it, and I already configured everything--yes by default it's like Facebook more or less, plus they also have your email, search history, etc.

I do have a couple of reviews of places on the map, because it helps other people, the same way that I also need them when I go to an unknown place. The difference is that previously it was possible to write reviews anonymously ("a Google user") and now you must log in. But this change happened much earlier than the YouTube one.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There is actually 1 good thing in this whole mess:
you get a free goggle-account.

(I needed anew for my coming tablet)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I think, you always could get free google account, twillight. At least, I didn't hear about anyone who had problems with aquiring one.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Red face

When I tried to get a google account via NOT a phone, it wanted from me SMS-confirmation, what means it is not possible as free.

BUT important stuff is, I just found out if you got this google-account-thingy on youtube you can click on the place your avatar supposed to be, when a menu-bar appears there you'll be able to find a "switch account" button, with what you can just change back to your god old youtube-account, and can forget about the whole misery.
It does keep the new google-thingy, but you no longer have to remain frustrated
Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

At least when you already have a gmail account, Google asks for your phone, to (among other things) be able to retrieve your gmail safely if you forget your password. But you can decline. I haven't provided my phone number for that use, although I guess there's no point in my case, because they already have it (I have an Android phone).
Old 12-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

More important stuff:
google removed all my subscriptions, tagged videos, EVERYTHING not own-stuff.

This is SHIT.

This makes me want to download stuff instead of cooperating this piracy.
Old 13-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #17
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Since this change every Youtube video I have watched stops loading at some point and the only way to fix this is to reload the entire page and use the seekbar to continue watching from where it stopped before.
Old 13-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
Since this change every Youtube video I have watched stops loading at some point and the only way to fix this is to reload the entire page and use the seekbar to continue watching from where it stopped before.
Confirmed.
Old 13-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
Japo
Autonomous human

Are you sure that's not because of changing from Flash to HTML5?
Old 13-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Oddbrother
Forum hobbit

YouTube did start establishing Google+ a long time ago before we were required to make the changeover. I didn't think I'd need it at first, so I didn't bother.

But when the time came to now requiring it, I didn't mind. It was easy to keep the YouTube username, avatar and subscriptions, and I'm glad they decided to give us that option.

The aggravation of having to re-learn a re-done system may be there, but the learning curve isn't as complicated as people claim it to be. It's pretty much like making the switch from Windows 7 to 8.

IIRC, if you had a YouTube app on your MID, you might still be able to comment without making the switch.

But from the looks of things, the word "Google" may not be used as a verb anymore.

To conclude, I'm okay with switching over to Google+. But I just don't expect to be using a dedicated page for an account/profile I simply use on YouTube.

Last edited by Oddbrother; 13-11-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Oddbrother is offline                         Send a private message to Oddbrother