Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #11
Tiger-Heli

THANK YOU!!!!

DosBox is AWESOME!!!! The sound is better than it was on an actual DOS box 15 years ago.

Thanks to everyone for pointing this out to me!!!

VDMSound worked for the ADLib and Roland sound drivers, but not the PC Speaker one, but it was fairly choppy with the drivers it supported. DosBox was silky smooth.

I found one odd thing - not that it matters much.

F-117A loads a file with the MPS Logo - The file is called MPS_LOGO.EXE. I found the background music for it (through the PC speaker) annoying, so I renamed it to MPS_LOGO.EXE.BAK. Under WinXP and when using the VDM shortcut with this file disabled, F-117A doesn't display the logo, but starts with the intro "movie". With DosBox and this disabled, F-117A skips the movie also and launches directly to the Select Pilots screen. (Not that it matters as I would bypass the movie anyways, but I thought it was kinda odd).
Tiger-Heli is offline                         Send a private message to Tiger-Heli
Old 16-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #12
Tiger-Heli

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrek@Nov 15 2005, 02:42 PM
Yes, you can...
Sweet!!! Thanks for the walkthrough, Shrek.

I would have been adding those lines to the actual batch file rather than the dosbox config file, but I can figure out what to do from your post.
Tiger-Heli is offline                         Send a private message to Tiger-Heli
Old 16-11-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger-Heli@Nov 16 2005, 02:50 PM
Sweet!!! Thanks for the walkthrough, Shrek.

I would have been adding those lines to the actual batch file rather than the dosbox config file, but I can figure out what to do from your post.
If you add the line to the batch file, it will not work... because all the commands given after the DOSBox command will only take effect "outside" the DOSBox and not "inside" as you would pretend. The "mount" command (and others) must always be placed at the DOSBox.conf file. You can, however, skip the last two lines ("f-19.exe" and "exit" in the given example) and run another file instead ("config", "setup", "setsound" or whatever).
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 16-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #14
Tiger-Heli

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrek@Nov 16 2005, 03:06 PM
If you add the line to the batch file, it will not work... because all the commands given after the DOSBox command will only take effect "outside" the DOSBox and not "inside" as you would pretend.
Yep, I got that from your first reply. Anything that DosBox does has to be in it's config file.

It's just cofusing (at first) writing a batch file (Dos commands) to launch a DOS emulator (well, PC emulator) that will then run more DOS commands k:

I've got it now, I think. Thanks again for the assist!
Old 16-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #15
Data
retired

you can create a shortcut as well... (that specifies the the -conf whatever.conf)
Old 17-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #16
Tiger-Heli

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger-Heli@Nov 16 2005, 01:43 PM
With DosBox and this disabled, F-117A skips the movie also and launches directly to the Select Pilots screen.* (Not that it matters as I would bypass the movie anyways, but I thought it was kinda odd).
I renamed MPS_LOGO.EXE back to default and DOSBOX shows the logo but not the intro movie.

I have a theory why this is happening, but I haven't tested it yet. The Microprose games normally run at 720x530 resolution. I used the default DOSBOX install which runs at 1024x768. I suspect the movie will not auto-set to this resolution.
Old 17-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I think it's incorrect. Most DOS games will run at 640x480, and this is default DosBox display resolution.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #18
Tiger-Heli

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Nov 17 2005, 02:21 PM
I think it's incorrect. Most DOS games will run at 640x480, and this is default DosBox display resolution.
It was incorrect, the game does run at 720x530, but DosBox auto-switches the resolution, so it is set to that anyway. But I don't know why it happens in DoxBox only though.