Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Default Lottery

" they don't have it anymore, but there were forums on www.fightersgeneration.com that had a money system like that. They had weekly lotteries you could enter, and you could get weapons and items and each post would list the characters "inventory". Just for kicks we could have unlockable inventory items that are famous items from like, adventure games and stuff. that would be appropriate!"

That man is a genius!

I say we do it. And I will host it. (We could like change hosts every week)

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 29-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
zafo999
I get HYPE

Send a message via AIM to zafo999

Just wanted to expand on this with some of the highlights from a little brainstorm we were having earlier about ideas for doing something with the POE. Like having it so that once you reach a certain amount of POE, you would "unlock" things like custom colors and tags. As opposed to spending the POE like money. This was part of the chat:

trying to think of what else besides custom tags before I post though... would we be able to allow larger avatar sizes or maybe more space in the signature area? ... kinda lame but taht's all I got...

Maybe different colored layouts for the whole site. Like, what do they call that. Shells?
[29-09, 15:05] TheChosen Yeah. With enough POE's, you can customize the colours of your Abandonia.
[29-09, 15:06] Kugerfang With enough PoE, you can bribe the police!
[29-09, 15:07] zafo999 Maybe we can start up an extra section buried away somewhere that restricts access to people who haven't got a lot of POE. A VIP area or like a Country Club where they talk about how much better they are than everyone else
[29-09, 15:09] zafo999 they don't have it anymore, but there were forums on www.fightersgeneration.com that had a money system like that. They had weekly lotteries you could enter, and you could get weapons and items and each post would list the characters "inventory". Just for kicks we could have unlockable inventory items that are famous items from like, adventure games and stuff. that would be appropriate!
[29-09, 15:10] zafo999 1000 POE gets you a choice between the Tiki Erection Statue from Leisure Suit Larry 3 or Wirt's Leg from Diablo
[29-09, 15:10] zafo999 etc etc etc
[29-09, 15:11] TheChosen I was once thinking about suggesting a mud where people would play and use their POE's to buy stuff like weapons, clothes, beer and stuff like that.
[29-09, 15:12] zafo999 that'd be cool

Also, inspired by the forums at www.gameartisans.org, I thought that we could create special tags or trophy icons for the winners of competitions or tournaments. Each one unique to the contest it represents, so forum members could start to accumulate kind of a trophy shelf associated with their account.

I like the lottery idea but a system like that would require that the POE be spent instead of used as an "achievement" system which would be easier to implement.

Last edited by zafo999; 29-09-2008 at 02:27 PM.
zafo999 is offline                         Send a private message to zafo999
Old 29-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I like the idea, but at present it isn't possible to actually implement a system like that here - the site/forum integration is basically along the lines of "take two things that work and nail them together".

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
zafo999
I get HYPE

Send a message via AIM to zafo999

Yeah, most of that might be a little over our heads right now. But if I were to come up with small trophy tags for say, the Art Comps and the X-Com tourny, as well as a list of the members who should have these, would you guys consider throwing them onto the accounts? I know you can do that much with the boards, at least.
zafo999 is offline                         Send a private message to zafo999
Old 29-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

That's a different thing. And yes, it's possible.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman