Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
Unregistered-Bibii-Guest
Default M.A.X. - Stuck at 00:00 at high X amount of turns

Hey all,

It is very nice to see such website for old games -still- running and I hope someone can acknowledge me with some kind of troubleshooting/help with my problem.

Off-Topic (shortly ^^):
M.A.X., Duke Nukem and Raptor were my first 3 games in the past and instantly my favourites as well. They're awesome and I still get those nostalgia feelings, especially when playing M.A.X. and Raptor! Duke Nukem was a bit 'creepy' :').

On-Topic:
As you people already might know, M.A.X. gets stuck at opponent's turn at 00:00 around 200+ turns. Rightclicking units results in a flash screen, pressing esc > quit the game doesnt work etc. If I remember correctly this happened to me back in 2000 as well when I got the game back then (not sure whether original or copy). At the moment I am using DOSBOX 0.74 to play it. Everything works perfectly fine just the freezes at 00:00 towards high turns ruins the fun =\.

Around turn 200s to 300s I have been able to get past the freezings by reloading the game several times and everytime hoping it turns into a new turn. Currently I am at turn 318 and I see my last NPC-opponent still doing moves, though, this time it definitely doesnt turn into a new turn - 319 - anymore even though restarting it many times =\.

Does anybody has any ideas if there are any tweaks possible to get past past/remove the freezings? It would mean a lot

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for anybody attempting to help me out!

Kind regards,

Bibii

Old 23-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Attempt to found patches: v.1.04 at the Patches Scrolls found.
Downloading and checking:
Quote:
M.A.X Version History

1.04 Improved computer AI in single player modes. Fixed End-Turn Timer lock up.
*Search finished*
Old 24-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Unregistered-Bibii-Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Attempt to found patches: v.1.04 at the Patches Scrolls found.
Downloading and checking:

*Search finished*
Hey thank you for your reply!

I have downloaded the patch, though I dont know how to apply it unfortunately. I have unboxed it in my Max folder (with content such as maxrun.exe etc.).

Sorry not very known with applying such patches for games.

Regards,

Bibii

Old 24-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Unregistered-Bibii-Guest
Thumbs up

Correction/Edit (cant as guest) to my post above:

I have been too fast with adding a reply. I have read the patch.txt file and did what it said. When I opened the game it said v1.04 at the bottom and in-game it turned to a new round yippee!

Thank you very much!

Old 24-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Unregistered-Bibii-Guest

Another correction/edit:

It still freezes after the turn it recently passed (previous post), so it only fixed one turn. I am afraid I did something not correctly?

Old 24-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Well, it's as simple as "replace maxrun.exe", so it _had_ to work.

Strange then. :/ Either patch is no good, or you have wrong version (you did notice several patches for the different languages, right?), or maybe game is corrupted somewhere before patch.

Well, I see no other ways to help you, unfortunately. My only guess is - maybe try to start the _new_ game and hope for the best? Weak idea, I know.

Hmm, checking local, Abandonia forum, it seems that a) Game maybe is not stuck (5 minutes for opponent's turn recorded) and b) people here used DOS4G 2.01 instead "classic" DOS4GW.

But if you had problems with patch installing, replacing can be not very trivial task...

Ok, here are all possible files:

1. Modified 1.04 (must give you more memory, but hardly will help with freezing).

2. Original 1.56 (can be better than 1.04, and the maximum possible version too).

3. Modified 1.56 (must have more memory).

Download any (or all three) versions and test for yourself.