Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #391
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Well, to be honest, as I was heavily using the Save Games Editor, I probably was not so affected by the game bugs... I just had to edit DB1 and DB2 save games...

Regarding DB3, my brother and I played on PS3. The game was not as difficult as it was in DB2, but it had many annoying “innovations” and “surprises” such as the random results of the blacksmith’s weapons, the need to collect magical papers or runes (I do not even remember the usefulness of such items), the very uninteresting (boring!) “side quests”, random changes of maps already explored (Lost in WebSpace ), etc.

Oh, and not to mention that Blizzard was very ruthless even in the very small or subtle changes of the characters so that the user was invited to withdraw permanently (banned) and through the back door... There would be something icy than Blizzard? Not even the blizzard would be so icy and cold that Blizzard itself... Absolute Zero!

I think there are far better RPG games than the old and tired Diablo franchise. I was even interested in the background stories of the game, but that was not enough to make the Diablo franchise sequels better...

BTW, I bought it, but then I was not even interested in playing the expansion of Diablo 3... Ugh! Waste of money...

Last edited by Mystvan; 09-11-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 19-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #392
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Fallout 2

Let's see what the GOG-version can do. So I started today a gifted/small frame 3/8/5/9/8/9/6 character I intend to level to 99, and do EVERYTHNG possible. Tags: speech, energy weapons, lockpick. I should have had steal instead of energy weapons probably, but I won't redo the whole temple thing for that.

Naturaly killed everything in the Temple of Trials, as well as deactivated all traps. This easily gave me my first levelup.
Stealing the temple key is the best option, as it nets you the same exp as speech, and also the item.
I barely have any weight capacity, but grabbed as much as possible, especialy the shovel. Also tricked Minoc to give a third spear. Somethow asking for the flint has some random factor, but whatever. Reload beats all.
Fixed the well, asked a buff for my unarmed skill (55% now), cleaned the garden - got healed after it -, rescued Nagor's dog, killed all gecko in the area and grabbed the available plants. Oh, also got the stuff from Elder.

I thought it'd be funny to do a throw-only character, with 1 INT to max all other stats, but nah. Still, sounds like a challenge. But could pick up 3 plant spike, and as they weight nothing, they are a keeper.

Got the direction to Klamath, so went there. I always arrive there at the start of the night...

--------------

Klamath
- went with Thor, but helped the Duntons, just to rescue Thor. Helping the Duntons is otherwise not possible! Don't forget tosteal a spiked knuckled form the Duntons.
- gave meat jerkey to dog
- properly refueled the still for 65$ (had random factor. The other pass gives 100 more exp, put you loose 30 karma in comparsion,andI bet negatively effects town reputation too). The random factor might be effected by town reputation/karma (that's why give meat to the dog first). As this is easier to do alone (sneaking through the geckos for quick exp), didn't get Sulik before finishing this.
- stole outdoorsman book from child (trapper town district)
- got key to rat area (drop key from dog to get a second key) and cleaned it (raat gking, fuel regulator)
- not getting the unarmed+melee because unarmed can be learnt aplenty first in San Francisco, and given karma is cheap to gain (or loose to an extent), I'll withold for challenge sake

Toxic Caves:
- rescued Smiley
- started to grow extra toe

Time to go to the Den:
- delt with the loan to Fred. I always give him 150/charge him only 50 to ensure the best result.
- unfortunately Derek only speaks with me during daytime (6-18 hours), and I arrived 10 minute too late, and the book doesn't appear until that. But Icheck, he'll speak.
- none can stand my speech skill, so I got into the church.
- delivered meal to Smiley from Mom.
- asked permission from Metzger, and freed Vic. With my zero STR, all hands are a help.
- read both small guns magazines I found, this made me pass midnight, so went and burried BOTH Anna's.
- found out Becky's still. Suggested she become the new supplier.
- helped Tyler against Lara. This provides better exp, and a special conversation option in Modoc. If you help Lara you get no exp, only 300$ more, and your karma will be too high.
- rolled to daytime and got the book from Derek
- scrapped (another) 1000$ and had free sex. Don't ask.
- as I had a dose of Jet, went back to Arroyo for the melee training. At the monent I'm thinking how I could get to SF ASAP, get the unarmed training from The Dragon, then lower my karma to -250 and get training from Lo Pan (I can only lower it at the moment to +86 by digging all graves - Den, Gologtha, Redding - and making Jo in Modoc to cut his finger off).

Next stop is Modoc, no doubt about that.

NOTE: By a second look, I could have taken 2 from charisma, and put it into endurance, as the only thing that demands 10 CHA is an otherwise nonfunctioning perk (Cult of Personality), which you can even get, AND then get the improved implants. No need to worry about companions, as youcanadd +1 to the pool by the Magnetic Personality perk.
Also in theory you COULD just go, dig graves right leaving Arroyo, get -250 karma, get to San Fran for the evil unarmed traing - but this sounds stupid, you could with the same effort grab the Enhanced Power Armor if you're at that, eh? Btw, this is the same reason I don't like Modoc. That thing is in the way, you're supposed to just stumble into it - but where's the fun in that? You could just do the Navarro trip with the same effort, basicaly. Oh, man.

Last edited by twillight; 28-11-2018 at 07:38 AM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #393
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Bio Menace

mission 1, level 1: the main problem is getting used to the controls,as this is one of those games where up and jump use two buttons for any weird reasons. Tip: if you run out of ammo no worry,you have Infinite Ammo Basic Gun too.

level 2: this level is hardcore a bit. First problem is, the screen move old school, aka. when you reach the edge, not dinamic. Second: there are enemies shooting atyou bouncing projectiles, and it inclued some random factor, so they are VERY annoying. Some stuff also blocks your shots, just to make your life harder.
The key is to get to the top of the first tree, as somewhere there is a Temporal Invincibility item.
I also should look up some manual as those landmines are totaly useless, it'd be useful to switch to the grandes.
Tip: behind a tree jumping from the ground is a dose of super ammo. It can help, but as there's only 20, so it's very limited.
Note: there are some enemies jumping around meele,so keep your eyes open.

level 3: there are a crapton of items to collect, so you'll need a couple of goes. The colour code I have no idea where is, but the solution is 35241. I'm not sure about the Jumping Rockets, I feel you should be able to run close then duck to avoid them... But grenades or super ammo can destroy them too. The super ammo is better, as there was a rocket at the end I could not eliminate by grenades. Those green slugs also are not effected by Infinite Ammo, only super ammo and grenades.

level 4: the explosives are very limited, so pay attention if you go for max. score.

level 5: this is an enjoyably heavy level. There's also a secret level thingy above the rotating spiked rod. I found out the colour-coding solution: there'sa tiny box with the colour - only problem they are not distinct enough for me in such small size. Also: the maximum amount of lives is 9, so if you loose a couple, don't worry. Especialy as there's only level-saves.
The secret level had a megaton of extra lives.

6th has some falling platforms leading to some alternate route, but I could not manage that. Pro Tip though: although you die in water,m there are temporary platforms in the water under the skulls. Easier start thatway.

7th: it's a gauntlet, meaning there are respawning enemies and crap. Do NOT try to walk into blown up tanks, they case damage/instant death.

There are 2 bosses. For the skeleton aim for the head and try to dodge the hands. They hit you when they fall, but also just by flying aorund.
The final boss of this mission has a door you can teleport to a platform through and throw grenades, avoid its fire... Still not cakewalk, but very much ok. Thi introduces the next mission.
Unfortunately youcannot carry over levels your equipment,at least not in the GoG-version. Also you can not have more than 4 HP-bar. But the maximum lives seem to overflow, so that balances out. Also, as you can't carry over equipment, justsave and reload every level for a full heal

------------

Huah! Mission 2 is definitely harder. It starts with a tree-level what is annoying, although there are fewer platforms at least. When reached the ant level with wooden houses I got lost a lot, and for a looong time the start of the level is Infinite Pit With Temporary Platforms,aka. you have to reload if you fail anywhere, and it is easy to fail.
There's also boss, absolutely impossible to not loose a life or two, so get used to saving your progress. I wonder if I save ata waypoint that'd be saved or not. Should try.

There was a robot-boss. It's dumb. Just jump on the platforms, and when it is far jump lower and shoot. It helps that you can move the screen to see more with the pageup/down buttons.
On the level after that was a curiosity. Some beam transforms you to a slug. It CAN attack, despite how it feels. Try to mimic the AI-version's attack: jump in the air before striking for more effectiveness.
Then there's this "empty" level. Suspicious, eh? Don't leave after you put the crystal in its place but go back to the beginning. The secret level will make you loose a life, but will give back 4, so it's ok.

Need more life? Find a level which has "extra life" item, get it, save, reload, and you start with the extra life on you AND in the container again!

Note: seems the difference between difficult settings is the maximum HP-bar only. So as I play on Normal, 4 HP is correct.

The final level of Mission 2 is excelent. Isn't insenly hard, but makes you use all kinds of proper tactics, like duck&cover, move-the-screen-just-a-bit, hit&run, and even a well-places invincibility potion. Tip: the tanks at the start take 2 grenade (and sometimes a bit of ammo).
The final enemy is a bit tough, but there's a moveable block which gives you a safe place if you don't know where the boss is (because like falling down). The boss is not effected by the "target out of range" feature, so will follow you wherewere you are on the level, which is kinda amusing feat.

Last edited by twillight; 04-12-2018 at 10:48 AM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 04-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #394
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Wow, mission 3 is hard! If you do this on anything other than Beginner, all respect! I challenge you: do it on hard! I bet you won't be able to finish the first level!

There was a level (fourth?) with a gazillion robots flyin in a pattern. Friggin annoying as touching them was instant death, even if you were in the state of iinvulnerability by a hit from a regular enemy. Hint: don't walk the ground level when you don't have to.
After that came a miniboss, some robotank. It was interesting. You get a hint how to start at the previous level from the hostage, so go and pick up the stuff. Then onward with brute force!
The level after was boring. Youcan't make two steps without spikes, or those small, shooting snakes not attacking you, what makes progress tedious, thus boring.
The next level after that is hard, because of Invulnerable Enemies and Limited Supplies. Some enemies here can be only hurt by plasma (that single shot weapon), or grenades, and you probably won't be able to dispose all of them. At the start do a trip to the top shooting everything with normal ammo (you can grab the machinegun, it uses the base Infinite Ammo only no pause between shots). When that's done go back, and grab the plasma charge. Now start to eliminate the slugs you encounter, this'llmake your life much easier. Hold onto your grenades. On the other side of the map you'll start to encounter some etheral-goblins - that's where you have to learn ASAP how to grenade them down. They are fast, and come in groups, so they are very inconvenient.
There'll be some remaining slugs, especialy on the right ends - don't bother them, jump through, or wait grabbing a ladder until they pass.

The NEXT level has no healing, but fortunately the enemy is limited. There are pink caterpilars (basic enemy), those grey runners, some bots shooting but not moving, some mining carts (fast knee-high thingies), and a crapton of rockets.
To survive use the grenades only to remove any rockets standing by. Use your gun to eliminate all other threat. Don't bother with the left side, no key item there. If you have some HP left you can go for loot there too of course.
To get out you have to jump on that reactore core, then jump to the edge of the map. That was annoying.

Ah, done it! On the last level I learnt those pesky instant-death robots CAN be destroyed! Or just the programmers realised how unfair they made this. I almost did it first go w/o destroying them, but the last ring towards the exit was crap.

The final boss suffers the same problem as the caterpillars on their level: you CAN stand in a safespot and shoot from there. As this thing is ranged, you'll still use up a couple of lives, but whatever. Easy-peasy, old fashioned style!

-----------

Hard mode is even harder!
You pretty fast should just try to get over most level instead of a fullclear. You start with 4 HP (after save&reload), but you can only regenerate to 2. Enemy has double HP. Explosives and ammo only come in half packages.
Against the skeleton boss good to know thatyou can go around until you start shooting, so grab the stuff outside, then go and grab the gun on in the throne room, then climb up and get the minibot, which only lasts until you get hit, so make the best of it.
Start on the laft platform, and start shooting when it goes up. Don't forget to throw grenades when you can hit it with 'em. Jump and grab the ladder when the hands get close. Otherwise good luck, I lost 3 lives here.

Second you need help with is The Gauntlet, or whatever the name of the level is. It is where jets throw exploiding miniature bots at you, and there are 2 tanks on the way,and a lot of stompers.
Frist back to thelift to get some mines. They are only good against the stompers, and those jump around at random, but whatever. Then get the restof the stuff. Using your 4 HP run in, lay down 2 mines so the stompers kill tehmselves and not follow, and SHOOT the tank until it is dead. Let's hope it won't shoot you too many times, no minibots fall on you, neither will the ground under your feet burn... Ye, this is pretty much random and thus frustrating. Get to the waypoint ASAP, do your best against the stompers,and runaway the minibots (in theory you can run under a stomper, but only if it jumps high and does not turn back).
Run ahead like madman, and when you see the 2nd tank or something, start unloading allyour stuff (any remaining bullet, and grenades). Let's hope it blows up before you die. After that run past the minibots to the end. Beware, there's a stomper at the very end. If you beat that, wait until the occasional minibot self-destructs, and run to the portal (after freeing the hostage of course).

EDIT: The Queen Bee is bloody impossible. You have no ammo, it spawns infinite minions what are too tough on hard diff, you can't even reach all supply... So I just pressed "cat" for infinite ammo. Repeatedly.
But the Act2 final boss is easy. First grab the ammo under, then finish off the tanks with your remaining lives. Use grenades primaly. After that grab the invulnerability potion, and run through everything, hop the top, get to the endboss recruiting the minibot along the way,and just shoot it standing on the barrels.

Last edited by twillight; 10-12-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #395
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Bio Menace Hard, Mission 3

Turns out you CAN do lvl 1 - the trick is you must be so hardcore to know about the secret stash. It's right above the last waypoint, contains an invulnerability potion, so you can run through the corridor of death.
lvl 2's key is to not explore. Use the grandes to remove uncomfortable mines, and be aware that everywhere turrets are layed, DUCK (and cover). When it comes to the stationary guard bots always check how far you can go w/o getting hit, and if you can see a blip of 'em, kill 'em. Note that you must wait the entire blowup animation or it'll remain there throwing bombs until that happens. Preserve your HP, because on the top floor you'll have to face one full frontal.
For lvl 3 you must do an S-route. That my hint.
For lvl 4 again do not eyplore, stick to finding the key. Do not use any speacial ammo until you absolutely have to.
Against the Goliath start with a jump to the switch, then go and gather supply. From the end of the top floor you can destroy a tank through an unmoving platform, just slosly drop on it grenades. I had 4 left when its delayed explosion animation kicked in. Then go back to the moving platform, and when you see the goliath run to the bottom of the stairs, duck and start shooting. Then immediately jump back to the top of the floor, because the normal tank is coming and that is the safe spot against that.

lvl "Mutant Attack" is bloody timewaster, because you have to wait. A lot. The green lizard-instects block your shots, which is annoying, the green slugs are even more so. Still, wherever you can leave the slugs alone, your resources are limited. Use only mines against them.
Beware of the spider-balls as they jump and like to jump one floor down mobbing on you. A horde is especialy dangerous with their hard-HP -> use autofire if you can. Main enemies are snakes though. You'll fast learn whatyou must do, there's only 1 place I try to give advice. You must be friggin lucky this to work. There is a smallish platform with 2 snakes with 2 moving platforms at it. You should in theory wait until they are on the right side (both of them), then jump to the left and put down 2 mines, not on each other. If you die, oh well, more important to kill the buggers. If you're done, try to get out by the platforms.
There are also places with large amount of monsters. Let's hope all visible ones get out on one side of the screen, then cautiously hop down and start to go the other way clearing your pass, so if you definitely have to you'llhave space to fall back to. Otherwise do NOT try to open every door and pick up everything and kill everything, this level is too dangerous.
Not to mention the next one where bloody cyborgs come against you. The fun in thatis, they shoot, you can't jump or duck their shots, and they appear in the middle of nowhere. Sure, fun. So you better have some lives to loose for that (I currently have 7).

The remaining levels are simply boring. Thereare plenty of waiting for the right time, or simply grinding down the enemy HP.
The finalboss is similarly frustrating, as you only have a chance if the conversation is triggered. But that's only possible the first time you load the save after starting the game. I'm neither entirely sure of its pattern, but the basic is to keep your distance, so you can jump when it crawls down - otherwise just crawl yourself. The random enemies are frustrating enough along, but the boss itself has a pretty large range (maybe all across the level), so you have to keep it on screen, what is stupid. Also there are mines.
Either way, I'm officialy done with this.

Last edited by twillight; 11-12-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #396
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Baldur's Gate Solo Kensai Part 1

Not sure if I'll bother, but couldn't resist making the character.
The funny thing with it is, you are practicaly cut from the shops, as their prime use was to provide armor and bow/other missile weapons.
Btw, not sure why throwing knives and axes are not count as missile weapons. I don't think I'd use them.

And while kensai/mage (mage with a couple of pips in weaponuseage, but loosing the ability to wear robes, which hurt in BG2/ToB) or better kensai/thief (which doesn't sound that much better than swashbuckler, but whatever, it is a big cheat with Use Any Item and traps either way), I'll stick with pure kensai. I'd actualy do a thief/kensai with points in detect traps, but this is not possible of course.

Btw, the "kai" ability work 1 min IN GAME, so it's not that useful as it sounds.

To make this useful anyway, here is some tips:
- I always do Evil alignment for its benefits. As the shop turned out off-limits (can't even wear helmet, not sure why. Should only armors be banned) scrapped all gold (to loot one of the containers in the inn attacked - but not killed! - its owner in the room to make it go away, avoiding the police), and bought 1 reputation. So with my minmaxed character (WIS 3, CON/STR 19, DEX/CHA18, INT 9 - so I can use wands) had enough reaction to get the +1 dagger. I'd like to specialise primaly in daggers for this one. After the rep-gain did Phydia's quest and the witzard's quest too (the others have stat-independent rewards)

- as had only like 29 gold left, left Candlekeep.
- of course fighting the Ogre With Belts is out of option for the moment.
- used Kai to dispose the assassin at the Inn. I think the "hardest enemy" goes by exp-value of killed thing.
- in the Fedelpost Inn's 1stfloor all siderooms are off-limits except the middle on the left. 2nd floor is free-for-all, except the toom of the noble.
- I started with 1 point in long swords for slashing damage, 1 in onehanded weapons for its benefits, and the remaining 2 in daggers.

In Beregost:
- open containers are free to loot
- inside the Inns commoners don't alert the guards if you loot locked chests (Algernon on the other hand does, but he also walks around, so just wait)
- there's a trapped chest in a house with 2 woman on the ground floor,and a child on the upper
- if the guards yet to appear when you leave the scene, you're free to go. Even if they're summoned if you never return, your reputation is unharmed
- in Kagain's shop the bin right next to him is forbidden (you can of course run for it)
- there's an open chest at the right block with the smith, but it is empty, and you can run for it to avoid problems
- with 19 STR there's only 1 chest you can not bash open (neither the expensive gem in Candlekeep), still you can get a handful of money.

Your prime objective at this point is,after reaching clvl 3, to scrap enough money to buy the poisoned dagger, what is hilariously strong. You'll also spend money constantly on healing. The best source of coins for now is the diamond-in-nook, the ring of wizardy-in-nook, and the +1 ring from Mirianne. Also, finishing any quest independt from traveling time is a good source of income (I usualy don't like traveling days just to pass down a quest).

There's a +1 longsword at the smith (bash the chest open at night), but as slashing damage is demanded in BG1, Iwouldn't sell it until you find a replacement just to avoid trouble.
But you might also try to kill Basilus. He's usualy "for later", but with this character being fast (lower attack speed, with dagger you definitely attack first) you have the advantage against solo spellcasters. Beware though against the hobgoblin group the same place - your lack of armor makes them very dangerous to your health, so this time they are the ones who have to wait.

Nashkel:

- the peasants houses are supposedly off-limits, with the exception of the norther house's farherst chest. You stillcan run away of course.
- STR 19 does not bash open one of the chest in the miner's wife's house.

Last edited by twillight; 03-01-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #397
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Blair Witch Project Volume 1

I found this adventure game. Sure, it has some shot-em-up part, but I could never bother for that, but even with the advanced puzzles it never was unfair (no pixel-hunting, sierra-logic, or any some such).
Watching a playthrough just doesn't feel the same thugh.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #398
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Baldur's Gate Solo Pure Kensai Part 2

- in Nashkel Carnival the tent with the potion merchant is off-limits for loot (can flee), and one chest is stronger than 19 STR.
- on the sidenote, Kensai HAS armor in a sense. They gain as class-ability -2 AC, what is equal with wearing Leather Armor, without any damage type weaknesses.
- finally managed to kill Zergal. Needed clvl 6, or clvl 5 + minor healing (baalspawn ability) to not die.
- before finishing the Nashkel Mines clean up everything you can, especialy that particular area. As paralyzing enemies (ghouls, crawlers) are your bane for the no armor penalty, avoid them like plague. Protection from Undead scrolls are your friend in great need.
- the assassin-group at the exit of the mine has two annoying mage, so better being a potion of invulnerability (with some luck you can get away without it though, clvl 7). The potion of 21 STR found at Mulahey can also help. Oh, and better not forget to buy the Shield Amulet in the Carnival. I bet I'll even need to shop-recharge it at times.
- found the info that Teven (Larswood, 1500x2200) and Raiken (Peldwale, 4200, 500) do not appearif you don't immediately fight the Nashkel Mine Exit ambush group. Also true for the North of Beregost area bandits (their leader runs away before dying no matter what).
-at this point (tome of CHA used, exactly 20 reputation) decided to buy the Kazgaroth-items (and the sleep wand, and a couple of protection spells), then "get" Algernon's cloak. The reputation will come back eventualy, and the main shopping is done with this.
-against the group of red wizards a potion of magic blocking served perfect. Too bad such useful supplies are so rare. Have to think. Hulk weant smash.
- Teven has good ranged support, so that's a charge of shield amulet.
- Ba'ruk has annoying ranged support: a charge of Kazgaroth amu suggested.
- in the tome of CON a potion of mind focusing as usual. The use of kai was enough to dispose the golems, although a potion of defense sounds obvious.
- be on the surface in Ulcaster only during daytime to avoid ghouls. A potion of stone form was enough for me to dispose the undead special skeleton warrior on the surface, and helped during the first half of the dungeon.

- the "protect the cow" quest did not appear
- the hobgoblins in Ulcaster had no boots

----------

In the Bandit Camp used a charge of shield amulet when it came to the boss outside sorrounded by archers. The guy can be lured away, the archers don't like to move, but the charge last very long, so long I could loot everything and still lasted when entered the boss tent, where used a potion of firebreath (with 19 STR you can even find 2 in the camp, there are 3 chests though which did not unlock yet). This killed the melee troops. The mage feared me, but I had enough HP (before entering drank 3 healing potions to make use of the shield-charge), still, a Kazgaroth-charge I used to prevent his spells after. And that was it.

Maybe worth mentioning at this point the following areas are not cleared:
- the basilisk area
- Gullykin + dungeon
- the ankegh area, and anything north from it

- the archeological site (doomsayer) quest is not taken
- the Cloakwood Forest and Baldur's Gate obviously
- the TotSC areas

Currently being clvl 8, planning to reach clvl 9 before leaving BG1.

- it's stupid thing I only found it out now, but in the ankegh-area get to the ranger, get the "kill ankeghs" quest, kill the nearest ankegh (more if unfortunate), then immediately report back. You don't have to kill any more for the quest to be "done". Too bad this doesn't prevent random ankeghs spawning.

- in Tenya's house is a locked chest (unbashable with 19 STR I mean)
- the zombie-infested farm also has a locked chest
- same for the halfling village in Gullykin
- in the Firewine Dungeon (or Ruins) went in close to the mage (after defeating the ogre mage), and let it kill itself, and the two nearest smash-monsters (ogrillions, maybe golems). Same place was so crowded with fire arrow kobolds, a shield charge went in it. Against the assassination-group a charge of Kazgaroth was used because of their mage.

- crap, made a mistake. First: that sword-in-thechest at Beregost's smith is a bastard sword. Second: should have invest 1 point in bastard swords instead of long swords for the +3 weapon advantage (not that I'd happily go to Werewolf Island, that is).

- in CWF1 the chest is locked
- in CWF2 against the miniboss used apotion of stone form to avoid being eaten, 2 potion of fiery burning to decimate the spiders, and an antidote. Always have an antidote with you with this character.
- CWF3 only has like 2 baby wyvern, so they won't kill you, even if you didn't prepare. Still a good warning
- went back to buy that prot. from petrification scroll at the Carnival and go for basilisk hunting. Actualy, only want the new girdle, but if I'm there... You actualy only need to use Korax here. Make a circle down, as in the southeast (even marked on some maps) are a group of basilisks. Then make a big circle avoiding the adventurers, and aim to the Mutaman. Keep Korax out of it, let the mage charge you. Right there are 2 basilisks, and in the northwest corner 2 more. Around this time will Korax run out of HP, if not, then time, so if not dead, slash him down before turns hostile. Another hint for the adventurers: their wizard is pretty useless, the cleric is the dangerous one.

- for CFW4 useda potion of stone form. The extra thac0 this characterhas, rly goes a long way. And to be honest, have to tell, noticed half the monsters only work in gorups, as they can only hit you with like natural20 independent from AC.
- at CFM3 used up another shield charge, because who wants to enter to a room with full of soldiers unprotected. Not me, that's for sure. With boots of speed,yada-yada-yada passed ALL rooms now, and while some chests were locked, founda dose of potion of mirroring, and maybe even a prot from undead scroll? Can be a cursed thing, have to identify. Would be supercoll though.
- fortunately only 1 battle horror got activated on CFM4. As inside the mine found an 50% MR potion, used that to avoid being fried by the boss-mage.
- went to do the Doomsayer, and a potion of defense definitely helped, also drank a potion of heroism just to be sure although might not have been absolutely needed. No prot from undead proved to be necessary.

Last edited by twillight; 08-01-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #399
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

One good thing is that GOG.com has made Enhanced Editions available for both the Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale series.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #400
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Baldur's Gate Solo Pure Kensai Part 3

- in Ulgoth's Beard the rule is, if they see you, better not touch it. There's also a locked chest at Mendas, and in the inn.
- buy the cloak of displacement, it'll help against the ankeghs on the ice island. So you don't have to swap in the boots of avoidance, and you even get +0.5 attack (making it 3) from the boots of speed. Oh, and if you go there, bring a prot from magic scroll, because that's always how I do it.
- against the 4 mages in BG-W 2 charges from that energy ring solved them.

You know, the "sections" of the game really does feel. There's a definite "re-planning" halt after reaching the Friendly Arm Inn, then when you try to do delay to go to the Cloakwood Forest (darn lot of travel), then when you reach Baldur's Gate.
In BG I especialy hate the timed quests: the geas/being poisoned crap, the rob-the-museum quest for starters. And don't even start with the chain-quests (the mages conquest, the stolen nymph, anything involving the umberlee temple etc.). And there's the Helm/Cloak of Balduran what is just bloody hard...
At least at this pointI can finaly wear the Claw of Kazgaroth as all the poisoning enemies (spiders, wyverns) are done. It's mostly melee, or damaging spells from now on. Of course could check out Durlag's Tower if I wanna... I wonder if I could beat that demon... Probably not, atlkeast would have to use some throwing daggers toi get rid of the cultists...

My problem with the Enchanced Edition is, their additional content, I mean expansions. Siege of Dragonspear, and whatever more they added. They add stuff where it does not belong. More exp and item between BG1 and BG2? What for? The strength/difficulty-curve is already built for the story, so it makes things too easy. Probably.

Back to the playthourgh:
- Sphene Gems are a rarity. Found none outside BG. The Umberlee head priestess had one on her (killed during the gease/poison quest). In theory the seer refers to the gemfrom the basilisk, so it is in theory a quest item, not a gem. Whatever.
- aganst the mob at Gorpel Hind had to use a potion of speed (kill order: cleric, mage, archers, melee). While that lasted ran against the ogre mage assassins with some charges from the Energy Ring. That worked.
- for looting around the city of BG is a nightmare. What container you may or should not touch is entirely random, so it's mostly falls back to whatever you open, prepare to run away through an entrance to prevent the soldiers showing up. Boots of spees recomended for this.
- I'm mostly done with the place, only the helm of balduran, the Iron Throne, and the Other Merchant League Infestation remains. Here is a tip: if you realy want to try to open every single chest in the city of BG, first solve ALL possible quests (18 STR from a potion should bash open every building for the very least), then quaff that 25 STR Violet Potion from the Nashkel Carneval, and makea run for it. Even if a section would take 1 ingame hour, you'll have 24 ingame hours to spend. And as every bitchy section has chests unbashable with 19 STR, this is sure the place to use that thingy.
- against the sewer-ogra mage's crawlers of course a dose of potion of freedom was required. These things realy come in small quantity.
-a potion of defense made life easy at Degrodel. This still lasted, so went to the Iron Fist, where in the first round disrupted things with a fireball potion (whatever the proper name), then continued with an aganzanar's scorcher potion.
- time to go to Candlekeep. Items to bring there: put down Claw of Kazgaroth somewhere if you have 20 natural CON, so sleep-heal is possible. 1 dose of Storm Giant STR potion. 1 dose potion of mirrored eyes. The antidote potion you got during the Lathander's Geas quest. Ring of Free Action.

----------

So, done everything till theDucalPalace, for the Longtooth dagger. Then went to Durlag's Tower.
- getting in was no problem. And inside can sleep-heal.
- I actualy have 4 more prot. from undead scroll (2 used until now making it 6 in the game), so using one to avoid the ghasts. I'm not sure why I even bothering - ah yeah, the tome. The scroll lasted through the upper levels, and the first bottom level.

- note: battle horrors do not count as undead! (and half the supposed monsters tend to not appear occasionaly, what is good if they're ghasts)
- at this point I realised I odn't want to go TOO deep, or I'll have to figure out how to deal with the cult and the demon back in the city. Lol on me. I also don't remember what weapons I could use against the biggest-meanest werewolves.
- against the dwarven guardians (level -2) drank a potion of defense (just to be sure) and a potion of heroism (because I had plenty). Drank also some healing potions to be sure of it, and to preserve the 3 oversized pack of healing potions.
- what would be good to have, are items on the 5th floor: flametongue and the Cloak of Shield
- ah. Now I know youdon't have to bother with the ghasts, and the teleport at level -3. Now I know where the other connecting passage is. If you want to bother the ghasts,a scroll of prot from undead is reasonable though. Or you canpass with a potion of fire res (or wearing the ring, or casting greenscroll) as there are fireball traps on the ground and enough space to manouver.
- level -4 is a nuisance. If you want to clear it, here is what you'll need:
a) a charge of shield amulet to dealwith the skeleton archers
b) greater ghouls are not holding you, and the "sirens"around Bala's Axe do not charm you
c) in the air room a potion of defense is highly advisable. The fire room contains fire, obviously. To deal with the slime you need some fire damage potion. Strange fact: it dies from cold too. cold = negative fire dmg? Might be a bug, so be sure to use fire damage on it when near dead.
d) on the chessboard you need a potion of invisibility, and a potion of absorption.
*for the cold room took a shield amu charge along casting the special abilities (this was one of the rare cases where Kai is ok, but mostly talking draw upon holy might). Also some healing potions (I hada 5-pack on my belt). The air was left latest, took a potion of speed for that.

Last edited by twillight; 10-01-2019 at 10:01 PM.