Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #101
Jerry123

Hi Japofran! IE7 sandbox behavior is enabled by default on Vista (the only Windows where you can have this). You should see a message like "Protected Mode: Active" in the righthand corner of your IE window. If you see "off", then that means you are currently running some plugin which requires full access to your drive.

More about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_7

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...6676&SiteID=17
Jerry123 is offline                         Send a private message to Jerry123
Old 21-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #102
Japo
Autonomous human

Ah OK I have IE7 but WinXP. Anyway that's not sandboxing, that's running the browser with limited rights. I already do everything including of course Internet browsing, except the necessary installations and such, from a limited user account, it's not the default setting in XP but I created it long ago (it's very easy, just go to Control Panel and click-click), everybody should do that in Vista as well as in XP, but most don't.
Old 22-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #103
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
The HIPS systems sound interesting :amused:
Especially the CPU firewall thing. But I guess it would be bad for me. I am a litte paranoid already. If I head to deal with tons of reports and warnings from such a program, I would probably be too afraid to switch on the computer at all.. Just looking at the windows error report log makes me nervous.

But in the meantime, Id like to share my findings with www.sandboxie.com

In short, the software is amazing. I had a few older games lying around which I wanted to try out again anyway. So the list is more or less by accident, but still interesting, I think:
Alien Vs. Predator
Alien Vs. Predator 2
Red Faction
Red Faction 2
Quake 2

They all run flawlessly within Sandboxie. Should work with more modern games, too. Technically, it is all the same.

Take care to install them within the sandbox, however. It is quite easy: Once Sandboxie is installed, you get an explorer extension (right mousebutton) which says "run sandboxed". You then run the setup.exe of the game or application or whatever and it installs.

The software thinks, its installed inside your Progams directory, registry and everything. However it is just sitting inside the sandbox. Once you empty the sandbox, everything is gone. Really nice.

You can have problems with games which install their own system files, however. DirectX would be an example. But that is usually easy to overcome: Just install the software they need not-sandboxed before installing the game.

A DirectX installer should then recognize that the needed version is already installed, and let you finish the rest of the installation of the game.
Sounds very interesting, i am going to give it a try!
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 13-04-2009, 03:56 AM   #104
Juanca
Eternal Player

Yes YEs yes , Russ I am necromancing this thread.....:tongue:

Well, I am doing this because AdAware Se is no longer supported with definitions since a couple of weeks and I would like some advice on a good antispyware for free that doesn't take too many resources

Right now for proteccion I have Avira antivir 8 (not the las version which is 9), Comodo Bo clean, Comodo firewall, and windows xp's firewall, I run on windows xp sp2. For browser I use firefox sandboxed.
I don't care very much if the antspyware is not a live resident, but a care more on the completness of the definitions, how accurate it is, and low resources demands.

Any suggestion?
Sri Aurobindo
Old 13-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #105
Wicky
the little viking

I only use Zonealarm Firewall and that's because my PC is for gaming and I don't want any resource eaters.
I had a few times problems, then I google for a removal tool.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 13-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #106
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i believe he wanted an ad remover. i suggest spybot search and destroy. no crap, free, no million background processes, just spyware detection and browser protection, with worldwide mirrors on different universities and different organizations

by the way get rid of comodo firewall, comodo "bo" clean, and avira, now that you locked you're holes in different topic you're not under a thread
Old 14-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #107
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
i believe he wanted an ad remover. i suggest spybot search and destroy. no crap, free, no million background processes, just spyware detection and browser protection, with worldwide mirrors on different universities and different organizations

by the way get rid of comodo firewall, comodo "bo" clean, and avira, now that you locked you're holes in different topic you're not under a thread
wow so you really mean that I don't need the comodo firewall? And about the bo clean and the avira, you never know, you can download some file and it could be infected even if your holes are closed, right?
....I must admit that until now I have never found any thread on my computer, or detected any virus (only false positives)
Sri Aurobindo
Old 14-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #108
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if you have the security holes locked, you shouldn't need a firewall for daily threads
Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #109
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Antivir, Spybot S&D, and Spywareblaster. Occasionally, I'll run a-squared. I used to use AVG but didn't like the new version. And I used to use Ad-aware, but it stopped working for some reason so I uninstalled it since I never really used it anymore.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #110
Xhumed
[BANNED]

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is getting good reviews, the free version only does manually activated scans and needs manually updating which is no big deal and you can pay for real-time malware protection and auto updates but if you also run AVG free version 8 that has a real-time resident shield which I find works well and it also has a link scanner that tells you if any of the sites returned by a google search have anything nasty waiting to attack you if you go there.
Be aware that AVG 8 needs windows SP3 installed on XP, it wouldn't install until I installed SP3.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

AVG Free anti virus.
http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...s-free-edition
Xhumed is offline                         Send a private message to Xhumed