Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #71
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

That's surprising, because the version we have is most definitely working.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-08-2006, 03:01 AM   #72
lowlylowlycook

Before I post I just want to say that it looks like abandonia has a great community going here.

First, for those that would like to use the manuals to answer any copy protection questons, the home of the underdogs (their new .info home that is) has the manual and journal with the page numbers added.

Secondly, I sort of ignored the ability to modify your characters stats so while my chars stats are pretty dang nice compared to your typical AD&D char, they are not quite as extreem as they might be. Since I'm decently far into the game I'm thinking of finishing with them as they are then starting Death Knights with a new party, maybe also changing around the classes to take better acount of the race limits.

Will I be missing a great deal by doing that? I guess I could always import the chars to transfer items if necessary.

BTW I have:
Human Knight
Human Ranger
Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
Q Elf W Mage/Cleric
S Elf R Mage/Cleric
Kender Cleric/Theif
lowlylowlycook is offline                         Send a private message to lowlylowlycook
Old 14-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #73
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Okay then. My party's levels are the following:

Human Knight: Level 5
Qualinesti Elf Fighter/Cleric of Mishakel: Level 4/5
Silvanesti Elf Mage/Cleric of Paladine: Level 5/4
Qualinesti Elf Mage/Cleric of Majere: Level 5/4
Silvanesti Elf Mage/Cleric of Sirrion: Level 4/4
Kender Thief/Cleric of Kiri-Jolith: Level 5/6[/b]
You probably are not high enough a level yet. The XP gain is always distributed evenly, and because you have so many multi-classed people then you level up way slower than a "normal" party...

By the way, Elves are usually really weaker than other races. That must also play a big role in why you get your arse handed back to you. If you allow me some criticism, you have too much casters in that party and not enough fighters. A normal party should consist of:

One Knight (preferably Human)
One Fighter (preferably Dwarf)
One Thief (preferably Kender)
One Mage (preferably Elf)
One Clerc (preferably Elf)
Last char at your choice (I usually choose Paladin because they both heal and fight good).

If I feel advanturous, I also consider multiclassing my spellcasters clerc/mage like you did, but as I already said by doing so you level slower with time.
Old 14-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #74
lowlylowlycook

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Aug 14 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]248563[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Last char at your choice (I usually choose Paladin because they both heal and fight good).

If I feel advanturous, I also consider multiclassing my spellcasters clerc/mage like you did, but as I already said by doing so you level slower with time.
[/b]
These old D&D rules are full of odd, unbalanced, and probably unintended effects. Since the amount of xp needed for levels grows exponentially, multiclass chars are normally only 1 lv behind single class chars. Except for the fact that eventually, at high levels, the xp needed levels out. Then they fall further behind. If you add in the level cap for each game in the series, and for each non-human class then things get pretty complicated :wallbash: . But you are right in that you need probably 3 good fighters to hold the front line and I think multiclassing has a lot of advantages for casters. In my own case I think I went a bit overboard in clerics even though it helps to recover from downed chars without having too many camps interupted.
lowlylowlycook is offline                         Send a private message to lowlylowlycook
Old 17-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #75
Stauf1186
Lurker

Hey, new here to Abandonia, great site by the way. Anyway, having a problem with CoK. I can get all the configurations set up to save, but it doesn't seem to want to read from there. I can make my characters, but for some unknown reason, it won't load them into the game. I can see the .who files for the characters in the directory, but it won't read them. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Stauf1186 is offline                         Send a private message to Stauf1186
Old 17-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #76
SailorCallie
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to SailorCallie Send a message via Skype™ to SailorCallie
Cool

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Aug 14 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]248563[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
Okay then. My party's levels are the following:

Human Knight: Level 5
Qualinesti Elf Fighter/Cleric of Mishakel: Level 4/5
Silvanesti Elf Mage/Cleric of Paladine: Level 5/4
Qualinesti Elf Mage/Cleric of Majere: Level 5/4
Silvanesti Elf Mage/Cleric of Sirrion: Level 4/4
Kender Thief/Cleric of Kiri-Jolith: Level 5/6[/b]
You probably are not high enough a level yet. The XP gain is always distributed evenly, and because you have so many multi-classed people then you level up way slower than a "normal" party...

By the way, Elves are usually really weaker than other races. That must also play a big role in why you get your arse handed back to you. If you allow me some criticism, you have too much casters in that party and not enough fighters. A normal party should consist of:

[/b]

IIRC, the Paladin class doesn't officially show up until Death Knights of Krynn, so I should have another Knight in the party, or something.

BTW, I should be using single class PCs instead of multi-class ones.
SailorCallie is offline                         Send a private message to SailorCallie
Old 24-09-2006, 10:59 PM   #77
Defacer

[b]does anyone know how to slow the game speed down? I've tried the in game option and its still too fast. during combat u can't see any effects or status changes because it goes to fast.

Old 24-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #78
SailorCallie
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to SailorCallie Send a message via Skype™ to SailorCallie
Cool

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Defacer @ Sep 24 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]257187[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
does anyone know how to slow the game speed down? I've tried the in game option and its still too fast. during combat u can't see any effects or status changes because it goes to fast.
[/b]

Ever use DOSBox? That might help.
SailorCallie is offline                         Send a private message to SailorCallie
Old 31-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #79
Mr Blondie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SailorCallie @ Sep 17 2006, 12:34 AM) [snapback]255500[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>
<span style="font-family:Times New Roman">EDIT: Don't quote quotes like that.[/b]

Old 21-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #80

i remember playing this. THought i would have to get an old computer to play it again

I kinda cheated then , gave everyone super stuff
Not this time though, i want to go through on Vet mode with just 4 guys made 5 at most

p.s. what is average donation?