Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #1011
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by iCezolation@Apr 22 2005, 01:51 PM
Mostly the fact is that aliens do a ground attack after I shot the third or fourth ufo down - arriving there, I kill about six or seven aliens and then suddenly the rest of 2 or 3 of them kill all my soldiers <_<
The other thing is that I never really know how to start right. The first steps I do are to build room for personell, then a chamber for aliens to keep 'em alive and another storage, followed by buying 20 scientiests. Then I let the first 10 scientists start to work on laserguns, during that time the first aliens were killed bringing more stuff to exlore - and that's where I already dunno what's the best to do next :-/
Buy Large Radar/Alien Contaiment followed by Personal Quarters and General Store.Also I recuit something around 10-20 scientist,4 soldiers and few engineers
My self I resreach plasma tech in the end,becouse I am fan of laser tech, but If you are newbie try to resreach plasma rifles first.
A little Resreach spoiler:
Alien Alloys=Personal Armor
UFO Navigation + UFO power source + Elerium + Alien Alloyes = UFO construction(better crafts and armors)
Navigator(Captured alien, on this rank)-Hyperspace Decoder(or something like that,best radar)
Etheral/Sectoid Commander(maybe also Sectoid medic...dunno)-PSI lab, and using PSI powers...
Etheral Commander= Location of Cydonia-Final Mission in the game
Also you can sell everything you can get from UFOs except elerium(selling this stuff would often mean suicide-it is fuel for better crafts and main component of better weapons...) alien alloyes(main component to craft any alien tech).I also dont sell Ufo power source/navigation so I dont need to build new one,when I want to build better craft.Keep only one exemplar of all other unresreached stuff.You will get pretty money from selling them.
Hope I helped
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 22-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #1012
iCezolation

Send a message via ICQ to iCezolation

Yeah thanks, the selling-stuff sounds very helpful. My mainproblem is that I'm a perfectionist, and I have the feeling that isn't very good for a game like UFO But I'll follow your tips and try to beat the crap out of those coneheads ... uhh, I mean aliens! :Titan:
iCezolation is offline                         Send a private message to iCezolation
Old 22-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #1013
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

After a while, I always end up with lots of alien alloys, so at that point it's wise to start selling that too. Otherwise it takes a lot of storage space; I don't think I've ever needed more than 2000 alien alloys, and the bigger ufos can easily yieldover 200 of it.

It's also good to research laser rifles as early as possible; except against some alien types, I even use laser rifles until the end of the game. Infinite ammo, no need for elerium, good accuracy and they do a decent amount of damage.

At the beginning, don't bother researching topics like alien food, alien entertainment. Researching alien corpses gives you some information on that particular race, but I'd suggest focusing on weapons first. Once your troops are decently equipped, you can look for the specific weaknesses of each alien race.
Old 22-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #1014
Filipsan

Quote:
Originally posted by iCezolation@Apr 22 2005, 12:51 PM
...Then I let the first 10 scientists start to work on laserguns, during that time the first aliens were killed bringing more stuff to exlore - and that's where I already dunno what's the best to do next :-/
Try to research laser rifles (they are really good for start..) and then grenades

I'm sure that in TFTD using grenades meant quick strategy

And it's also great that aliens in UFO have smaller inteligence then their brothers in TFTD, so they don't use grenades that much, so you can get pretty large amount of these killers from them
Filipsan is offline                         Send a private message to Filipsan
Old 22-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #1015
Jman4117
Game freak

Higher intelligence yet 65 million years less advanced...

Quote:
Etheral/Sectoid Commander(maybe also Sectoid medic...dunno)-PSI lab, and using PSI powers...
It's any Ethereal and Sectiod Leaders/Commanders for psi.

Quote:
Etheral Commander= Location of Cydonia-Final Mission in the game
Any Leader for the Martian Solution, then any Commander for Cydonia or Bust. (Commanders can be from a Battleship or Base.)
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 22-04-2005, 02:30 PM   #1016
Kearnsy
Games Master

I skipped laser all together. Researched Heavy plasma and I've never had any ammo problems. :whistle:

By the way is there a rank above commander?
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 22-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #1017
Old Lou

Hellow
use the rear wings of the skyranger at your advantage, you can snipe from there (you need flying suit to go up there of course). This tactic gave me good results when dealing with large ships
Use flying to place your men in the rooftoop of the ship and close to the entry door, looking at it, you'll get a good splinter-cell tactic that usually works for me
And make holes in the walls... sometimes it helps.
To deal with the deeply entrenched alien who reacts to everything that moves: use a rookie with a couple of armed grenades, sometimes I use to carry a small suicide squad (2 or 3 men) in the transport to deal with those situations.
Hovertanks are bullcrap in my opinion, a big waste of time, money and resources. Tanks are good to recon
Don't get hurt, Bye!
Old Lou is offline                         Send a private message to Old Lou
Old 22-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #1018
Kearnsy
Games Master

Another good tactic for those large ships is to clear the area and then line your guys up facing the door.
Use the reaction fire an some grenades to thin the alien numbers before moving in.
Just remember to spread out so that you dont get wiped out by an enemy grenade.
I found that I only use 1-2 men at the most and is great for rookies to improve. k:
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 22-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #1019
bahman
Abandonia nerd

Well I spent a couple of hours last night to play this game and didn't find it interesting at all. :blink: It is not attractive, you just wait for an UFO and after that folllow it then deploy your units and then bang bang... Is that all about this game...
bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 22-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #1020
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jman4117@Apr 22 2005, 02:07 PM
Any Leader for the Martian Solution, then any Commander for Cydonia or Bust. (Commanders can be from a Battleship or Base.)
It needs to be a commander you captured at an alien base.

Kearnsy: there is no higher rank than commander.

Tip of the moment: Skyrangers won't protect your soldiers inside from blaster bomb explosions, at least a lot of the damage passes through. And apparently it's possible to steer such a bomb through a shed window.