Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #41
Japo
Autonomous human

There's a link to a page where you can buy it. Other than that would be non-abandoned piracy and you won't find that here.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #42
danicus

Hello fellow old time gamers,

I recently was going thru my collection of games and ran into the Caesar's II & III. I tried loading C2 and - nothing - like so many of the posts here (yes, I read them all 1st - many of you should try that, it would save a lot of space as people tend to ask the same question over, and over, and over. Other people tend to ramble on in their post and you wonder -what is the point, if any, of this post ... you know what I mean? Still other people are less than helpful just posting smart @$$ comments like "ah... try putting in the disc." Well, anyway ...). C2 gives you the option of adding it as a DOS game so I did that. Didn't try too hard to run it in DOS mode (I'd have to go and get DOSBox again I supposed, and didn't want to hassle w/ it at that moment).

No biggy. I'll just slap in good old C3 and try it. Well XP didn't like that either. (I tend to blame XP for a lot of things). Went out on the net and found this link at the Sierra forum - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;324767 - (it's a sticky there at Sierra- what a concept!?).

OK this is for C3... I know but, I tried what the link said and, I also turned off my anti virus program while installing C3 and -bahda bing - it installed no problem!

I went back and tried to install C2 again and it installed - no problem! So I don't know if it was playing around with the .cmd file stuff as suggested at MS, or simply turning off the anti-virus program during install that made it work (or both), but you peeps having trouble installing may want to try both ideas.

Sorry for the long post. Gotta' run now I have worlds still to conquer an' all... and apparently my plebes need me.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Danicus
danicus is offline                         Send a private message to danicus
Old 15-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #43

For the people who have the CD and can't get it to work on XP, try this:

1) Load the CD and choose "Explore"
2) Open up the 'HD' folder
3) Open the file named 'PS'
4) Hit the space bar

This is what I did and the game played fine, except for one thing...

I CAN'T GET THE SOUND TO WORK!

It just isn't the same without it... Anyone figure it out yet?

Old 16-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #44
Christian IV
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 15 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]248752[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I CAN'T GET THE SOUND TO WORK!

It just isn't the same without it... Anyone figure it out yet?
[/b]
I am having the same problem but I am going to try running it in Compatibility Mode
for 95 tongiht, I just loaded it up last night and it ran fine, on my new WIN XP SP2 system which is my main games testing system, and it ran just fine, but no sound yet.

I am going thru this thread and will look over at tiltmill who is doing CIV this year I hear.
post if you find anything on sound in XP and i will too.

Hello to everyone, I have been away for awhile, long time actually, had life challenges, but it is nice to see everything is well here. cheers
Christian IV is offline                         Send a private message to Christian IV
Old 17-08-2006, 08:34 AM   #45

I finally got the MUSIC to work... Still working on the the SFX... But here's what I have so far.

1)C2 likes to autorun and then quit and not work at all, forcing you to reboot and start over. When the install wizard asks you if you want to run sound/hardware tests, JUST SAY NO! It will say you failed all of the tests, and that you don't have minimum requirements, but you can still install it.

2)After installation, go to the C2 folder and choose "Caesar II Set Sound." Choose the configuration that will work for you.

This should get the background music working, which is actually just fine considering it changes with the mood of the game. At least you won't have to hear "PLEBS ARE NEEDED!" over and over...

Old 17-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #46
danicus

Odd I can get it loaded and even play in all the different modes, but can't see any walkers. I would trade this for the sound problems any day 'cause the "plebs are needed" gets real old --- real fast.
danicus is offline                         Send a private message to danicus
Old 17-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #47
Christian IV
Game freak

It worked fine last night in both XP and using DosBox and DeFend to load it, with Doxbox andDefend, it worked with all the sound and animations, which was great but a little choppy re speed. I was glad to finally be able to see all of it. I was able to play it fine on one of my older machines, a WIN 98 SE with Soundblaster Pro Snd Card and it worked perfectly on that too, with all the sound and the movement of the game was normal on that one. I am not sure why you hve no walkers, but maybe you did not have enough of what they needed to walk for. I never did very well, my people kept rioting in the Tutorial City and I could not get enough houses to last near the workplaces so I did not make enough to pay the Emporer's tribute.......i may try again soon. Good luck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danicus @ Aug 17 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]249236[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Odd I can get it loaded and even play in all the different modes, but can't see any walkers. I would trade this for the sound problems any day 'cause the "plebs are needed" gets real old --- real fast.
[/b]
Christian IV is offline                         Send a private message to Christian IV
Old 28-09-2006, 01:28 AM   #48
Elena

How many population is needed in order to get Prosperity 100%? I have 20.228 and Oracle says that I must increase my city's population. There is no space on the map :wallbash: .

Old 23-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #49
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If this game is anything like Simcity (and I think it is), then maybe it's not the population you need to increase but the ratio between population and other types of buildings?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-02-2007, 03:49 AM   #50

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elena @ Sep 28 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]257886[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
How many population is needed in order to get Prosperity 100%? I have 20.228 and Oracle says that I must increase my city's population. There is no space on the map :wallbash: .
[/b]
I don't think population has anything to do with prosperity. Getting prosperity to 100% requires having a whole bunch of palaces, and filling your coffers through taxes. Only culture is hardest to get to 100%, the others are all attainable.