Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Descent to Undermountain

Descent to Undermountain

status?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 19-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Wicky
the little viking

hah, Decent to Undermountain brings back good memories. I bought this game many years ago on the day it came out, just to find out it is the worst piece of game evar!! Or at least in the worst 5 games. I was so angry that I tried to give it back for a refund after like 3 minutes of playing it, but they wouldn't take it back (no refund for software)
So I can remember I made a running gag out this game. When my friend came over for a visit I suddenly gave him this game as a present. He was like, whoa really a full PC game for free? And I just smiled a little on the inside. So then a few days later I met my friends (the one with the game was also there) and he suddenly gave this game as a present to the next guy. He must have catched the trick lol so the other guy didn't have any idea why he would get a full PC game for free and was very happy, but my friend and me just looked at each other and smiled.
Morale of the story, this game has been "gifted" on to the next guy in our group many times and it was like a running gag, simply by imagining the astonished look on their faces when they see how bad this game is!

So please, do not upload this game. It will make the average score of all games on abandonia drop by 50%
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 19-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

hahaha, well then, we will consider that... although it should appear sooner or later, I guess later is better in your opinion
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 19-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Not protected. Not found for sale. Approved.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

DTU needs a nuclear powerplant to run in DOSBox. Seriously, I could only make it move at decents speeds on a DualCore laptop But it runs, at least. And it's still butt ugly. Even in SVGA. Other then that, no real problems, besides the game being BAAD.
Old 20-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Wicky
the little viking

Here are a few quotes from what gaming magazines and other people think of Descent to Undermountain.

gamespot: How could the company that produced Fallout also be responsible for one of the lousiest games to come down the pike?

wikipedia: Bugs, embarrassingly weak AI, the unappealing and shoddy nature of the graphics, and several other issues have lead to...

youtube: features DTU with a video with the beautiful title: "PC released worst game ever", including comments that contain words like: suckage, horrible, ripage, WTF, crappiness, incredible disappointment.

What is so funny about Descent to Undermountain? Well, I won't bore you with details, I can only tell you: YOU try to think about any bad thing that can happen when developing a game, and I promise you, that it is there in DTU! lol
For example, Interplay licensed the "Descent" Engine because of it's multiplayer capabilities. That was one of the first engines to support games over internet. Then DTU was hyped as the best multiplayer game ever! Needless to say, that multiplayer was ripped 1 week before the release.
But the descent engine was also well known for it's weakness to display organic living beeings, which was not uncommon for a space shooter with only vehicles and ships. But of course, Interplay had no space ships to display, only ... "organic beeings" like orcs trolls goblins etc.

Want more? Well, DTU has been developed by three different developement teams. The first programmers wrote 1 year on it, then Interplay was not satisfied and gave it into the hands of another group. Who, after a another year were forced to give it into yet again to another developement team. These had only one month to finish the game, but complained that they could not see any sense in the code and had to rewrite the entire game from scratch!

Some more reviews from other magazines:

PC-Player (germany): Descent to Undermountain is unattractive, confusing, plastered with graphical bugs and despite of it all, remarkably slow. Very well planned, but ruined by disastrous gameplay.

Computer games magazine: Ugh, enough already.

PC-Action: We got used to slow, pixelated and colorless graphics. Even linear paths, unlogical riddles and hardly comprehensible calculations in the background are common among RPGs today. But Descent to Undermountain tops them all! The combination of all those are beyond our comprehension...

Mobygames even claims: Descent to Undermountain was THE game that inspired laziness in the game industry.

But of course any given game cannot only have negative points. There must always be at least 1 positive to say about. And DtU has it: The uninstallation.
After removing this game from your harddrive, make sure you format it 5x with alternating patterns to make sure the game is gone. Then, unplug your harddrive and blow it up with 1 pound of dynamite. Pick up the small debris parts and throw them into the wastepaper basket. Use a blowpipe to melt the wastepaper basket at 2000° celsius...
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky