Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #2801
ninjasan8

Hi everybody, I'm ninjasan8, I'm new here. I got UFO around a month ago, and I'm really hooked. I just started a new game, and I'm doing a lot better than before, and I have a quick question. I just finished my second month, and I have 8 soldiers with Plasma Rifles and Personal Armor. I have a pretty big base (80 scientists, 30 engineers, and a lot of other stuff). What would be a good move now? Is there something special I should do, like get a certain weapon, etc? Also, when should I build my second base? Thanks in advance for the help.
ninjasan8 is offline                         Send a private message to ninjasan8
Old 28-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #2802
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Nice job, Himo you should create a second base in another continent with a new squad...so you can cover a larger area...if you think it's early to do that, do lot of research first... k:
Old 30-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #2803
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

However building another base takes quite some money, so be sure to have perhaps some $ 5 million at hand before you do that.
For the location of the second base, like David86 said, make sure it covers another continent. Have a look at how much each continent/country is donating to you --> you should try to cover the big investors (typically USA, Europe, Japan) to keep them happy.

If I were you I would recruit a few more soldiers, just in case you happen to lose a few after some time.
Remember to recruit soldiers in your second base as well, and supply that base with decent weapons in case it gets attacked.

But you seem to be doing really, really fine if you already have plasma rifles after 2 months!
Old 30-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #2804
ninjasan8

Thanks. I went ahead and made the base in Europe, and later after two UFOs and a terror mission, I went ahead and probably prematurely made another base in Japan. Right now my first base is fully operational, my second can shoot down UFOs (working on the second hangar), and my third one... well, it's there. Thanks for the help guys (I'll be sure to pick up some extra soldiers like you said (one of my wounded soldiers has a 47 day recovery waiting)), I'll be sure to come back in the (near) future with more questions. Thanks again.
ninjasan8 is offline                         Send a private message to ninjasan8
Old 30-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #2805
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I leave guards in bases without ufo recovery capacity. They are usefull until you install taht fusion ball defenses with the grav shield.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #2806
cjblaze36

I have read through a lot of the previous bug issues w/ the game. I am not that computer savvy though and would like to explain my problem and if somebody could explain a solution in idiot terms for me I would appreciate it.
I downloaded the game from this site and I will be playing and the game will just crash on me. It is usually when I attempt to land at a crash site.
I had this game back in the day and have no idea where it is now and just recently found out about abandonware, so if I could get to playing it would be a dream come true.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #2807
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Unfortunately, it crashes for no apparent reason every now and then. Nothing can be done about that, I'm afraid.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #2808
roadwarrior

is there any "good" way to slow down the windows version of this game cause time passes by so fast and in combat when you move mouse it moves like its on fire or something.
and i have tested dos version of this game but that is too slow and "buggy" or
"laggy" and i know how to speed it up (ctrl+f12, ctrl+f8) but its no good :wallbash:
any suggestions?

Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #2809
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

for slowing down the windows version- lookup for CPUkiller or mo'slo. there are few others slowing-down programs as well.

for the dosbox- set "core= dynamic" in your dosbox.cfg
and also, try using frameskip
Old 03-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #2810
Bahut

I'm not tech savy and I got the game to work by clicking the yellow colored icon in the UFO Enemy Unknown folder. The other one titled "Gold Edition" shows up all garbled.

It seems to work, except it constantly alt-tabs itself out to the desktop. I tried closing all windows and that seemed to help start the game. Except anytime my interceptors engage a UFO it alt-tabs to desktop. It does the same while trying to do a mission.

How can I get it to stop minimizing to desktop ? It isn't crashing... just constantly minimizes to my desktop, then I have to click on it to open it up again... but the game continues to run which makes me either lose UFO's with my interceptors or die horribly :P
Bahut is offline                         Send a private message to Bahut