Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #11
radiv
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Aug 28 2004, 08:25 AM
Windows 98 supports up to 10 GB, or perhaps 20, but I guess, it's 10 GB.
Windows 98? This is definatly fixed in Windows 98 SE...
Got a PC with a 30GB HDD... And anyway, use the Win98SE if you are concidering 9x/ME.
radiv is offline                         Send a private message to radiv
Old 28-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #12
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

I just went to eBay and bought a desktop instead of a laptop because they were
too expensive. I really don't like windows, but i desperately need it for one thing: I use it to transfer large games on a USB stick because I copy them from my other PC that has Internet connection. But i think what you need is a good desk and a comfortable chair. I don't really know if that can fight the ability of a laptop to be taken everywhere.

P.S.: Sorry for my poor english. i'm german.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 28-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #13
dragonLancer
Super Freak

Send a message via MSN to dragonLancer

ok today your lucky day LOL jk well anyway I have been lookin for new comp. for few years now, and i know 2 #1. a Gamer Xplorer-64 9000 or #2 a Assasin comp. from Vicious PC (this is the one i want) if you look it up they have a normal computer from Assasin or you can get a all game worthy laptop with 15.4 wide screen and mobile athlon 64 processor plus a ATI Radeon 9700 pro video graphix card. If you need any more info on either of those comp. just ask and i can help :guns:

--------------Dragonlancer

If anyone wants me I'll be in the Angry Dome!!!

----------------------------------------------------------
dragonLancer is offline                         Send a private message to dragonLancer
Old 28-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #14
xoopx
Hero Gamer

mac mini n__n
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 28-02-2005, 11:47 PM   #15
dragonLancer
Super Freak

:blink: what?

dragonLancer is offline                         Send a private message to dragonLancer
Old 28-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #16
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
The older models are dirt cheap now and would be more than enough to play old adventure games and such. Which one to get though is the question.
The question here is how old the model you think about should be. As the price purge is far less than with desktops, the newer models (say 1200MHz upwards) aren't too cheap. It is often a better alternative to buy a new one. For your purposes a 800MHz pentium should be enough. 600MHz will also do it, but with limitations.

Quote:
The display should of course be clear and not have very bad ghosting. I suppose I should look for an Active Matrix type. I would probably run Windows 95 or 98 on it so I could boot into DOS for playing games that need it, and use Windows for things like ScummVM.
Cheap displays, especially if older tend to loose some brightness. I'm thinking of the first TFTs that came to market, mainly 11" and 12" as they were common for that time. I would recommend to get a laptop with a 14" display at least. Other common problems with older laptops are defective cd drives, as the complete drive (I mean the optics and mechanics, not the housing) is implemented into the drawer and pulled out every time you put a cd in. Second the contacts between display and laptop (they are built into the hinge) become bad, so the screen begins to flicker. These things simply wear off by time. If I would buy an older laptop (2-3 years), I would be sure to get one of some major brand (Toshiba or Sony, HP perhaps). These are often built more stably.

Quote:
Sound is one of the biggest issues I'm wondering about. Are there any laptops with a real SoundBlaster or other legacy chip that these games support? Do any of them have a headphone jack so I could play without disturing others? What about an addon sound card using PCMCIA?
Most laptops have legacy chips built in, as sound normally is no big issue with these devices. I never had problems with any of them, but you might find it difficult to get proper drivers for older os.

Quote:
Adventure games need a good pointing device and laptops don't appear to be very strong in that area. There's the trackpoint, trackballs, and that other thing that I can't remember the name of at the moment. I would probably just get an external trackball mouse in any case so that's not a huge concern.
Get one. The built in devices are just annoying, especially for gaming.

Quote:

I started to bid on a Zenith Z-Note with a Pentium 133 but figured I better shop around some more.
For Win98 this is pretty slow. I would install a combination of DOS and Win95b, though Win98 is much better as it comes with USB support. Better try to get some more cpu power.

Otherwise a laptop is a great thing, you'll love to play in the garden or do some networking at a friend's without having to drag two cases and a bag around the neighborhood. k:

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 01-03-2005, 12:13 AM   #17
dragonLancer
Super Freak

I still think he should go with the assasin you can find it here

www.viciouspc.com

Old 01-03-2005, 02:52 AM   #18
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

I just got a pretty good deal on an Optima Centori notebook. For $1,640 (AUSD) I have a 15.4 widescreen, 512 meg ram, 64 meg IBM graphic card, RW DVD, 60 gig hard drive, firewire, ethernet, wireless and a 1.5 M Celeron Processor. I've tried the notebook with high end games like Sentinel which requires 128 meg ram video card and a Pentium 2.00 ghz processer, and the Optima aced it. They say that a notebook with shared vid memory can't play latest 3D games, but I've had no trouble so far. When you plug in external multimedia speakers, the sound is better than on my desktop which has an expensive sound card, separate amplifer and four full sized speakers.

I'm happy dancing. The only thing that bothers me is the quality of the screen display. On games and movies it looks great, however, in night time scenes, or where it's dark, it's harder to see details. And there don't seem to be any controls for altering the contrast, only the brightness. Maybe I'll find ways to tweak these things tho'.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #19
Morbid_Pathologist
Forum hobbit

well im using a Pentium 4 3.06ghz laptop, also using DOSBox v.063, the site hasnt updated in ages =(

but i can run games like crusader:no remorse (i have the actual cd, videos work too!, whee, bad acting) and quarantine fine.

the laptops alsog got, 40gb hdd (im using a 160gb external hdd) 15'' screen, 512mb ddr ram, 64mb Geforce Fx 5200 (i dont play many new games, it gets the job done)

all i need now is speakers to plug in then i can listen to the sounds of command and conquer really really loudly
Morbid_Pathologist is offline                         Send a private message to Morbid_Pathologist
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 AM   #20
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

You might want to watch it with some newer games. Morrowind, for example, does not "officially" support any mobile video chipsets. Of course, there's a large gulf between what Bethesda says won't work and what actually won't work.

Mobile chipsets are different, as far as I know (and it's not much) from desktop cards, but not by a whole lot. So just be a bit careful.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt