Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #881
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Well this is interesting news! Seravy has done a deal with Slitherine (the new MoM license holder working on a new MoM game) and Caster of Magic is now a buyable ‘officially approved’ Master of Magic addon on Steam & GoG! Naturally Seravy has promised to continue doing more amazing improvements to the mod now that he’s receiving financial reward for his hard work. Caster of Magic is already amazing enough as it changes & improves MoM so much but my god if he ever finds a way to exceed the 4 enemy player limit I’ll have his baby lol!

Announcement thread:
https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/...d.php?tid=9846

The only downside is all previous copies of CoM have been wiped! Don’t think I’ve grabbed a copy since 5.6, which must have been a while back as he’s now up to 6.0 lol!

EDIT: Sure enough here they are! They’ve gone live!
https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_m...aster_of_magic
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ster_of_Magic/

EDIT 2:
I just realised.. Master of Magic wasn’t even on steam until now.. they’re doing a joint release of both MoM & CoM on steam! Wow!
https://steamcommunity.com/app/11463...4292532351222/

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- MovieTV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation
Blake00 is offline                         Send a private message to Blake00
Old 01-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #882
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Oh and more good news. Slitherine have setup an official Master of Magic forum! And they've kindly moved my ever growing MoM2 wishlist thread into there too.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=590

Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Emulation
Old 03-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #883
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Also, now you can choose to play original, Community patch or CoM (if you bought one).
Old 31-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #884
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Yup, kinda sucks that disc owners like me have to rebuy the game again.. but I've done it as showing support for these rereleases and addons increases our chances of the official sequel happening hopefully!

WOAH!!! The good news keeps coming for MoM fans. After years Implode has returned from his self imposed exile (think kungfu movie where the bad guy bests the good guy so the good guy climbs up a mountain and learns better kungfu with some old guy with a grey beard who never speaks and then the good guy comes back and kicks the bad guys ass lol) and released a new version of his HD Multiplayer remake of Master of Magic with for the first time FUNCTIONING AI!! This is the moment many like me have been waiting/hoping for.. hopefully people try it and give him some feedback!

Announcement: https://mom.pjj.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9815

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/momime/files/

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation

Last edited by Blake00; 05-03-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 31-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #885
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Hmm, sounds interesting certainly. Thanks for posting it here. Think I'll wait still a bit though, until an improved version will become available, as some things I've read in the announcement show it's in the process of twiddling yet and not an all-around satisfying (at least for me) release.

Particularly that the AI doesn't know how to load units into boats yet, that's an exploitable weakness, imagine you start off on an island, enemy will be severely limited in reaching you. Lords of Magic, which I liked back in the day, had the same kind of lame AI problems.

That the AI gets the same amount of big cheating advantage as in original is also not something I (entirely) like as it is, I'd have preferred still a bit smarter AI with some less amount of cheating advantage. Smarter AI is a lot more fun to compete against, than cheating AI where one could feel compelled to get some cheating advantages as well, and / or exploiting game glitches or AI weaknesses.

But that looks pretty interesting, I'll be sure to keep my eye on progress of that work.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 05-03-2021, 05:36 AM   #886
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Hmm, sounds interesting certainly. Thanks for posting it here. Think I'll wait still a bit though, until an improved version will become available, as some things I've read in the announcement show it's in the process of twiddling yet and not an all-around satisfying (at least for me) release.

Particularly that the AI doesn't know how to load units into boats yet, that's an exploitable weakness, imagine you start off on an island, enemy will be severely limited in reaching you. Lords of Magic, which I liked back in the day, had the same kind of lame AI problems.

That the AI gets the same amount of big cheating advantage as in original is also not something I (entirely) like as it is, I'd have preferred still a bit smarter AI with some less amount of cheating advantage. Smarter AI is a lot more fun to compete against, than cheating AI where one could feel compelled to get some cheating advantages as well, and / or exploiting game glitches or AI weaknesses.

But that looks pretty interesting, I'll be sure to keep my eye on progress of that work.
Yeah still lots of work to be done. Implode is still busily working on it, even today I can see activity so it'll keep getting better and more complete.

Anyway more big news guys! Looks like Seravy's Caster of Magic 2 (possibly renamed to 'Caster of Magic for Windows' now probably by Slitherine lol) is coming out of private beta and going public on steam soon.

What is also very interesting is that it says on the announcement that it supports custom resizable windows and presumably resolutions! I'll try to confirm that since that would be awesome news as Seravy had zero interest in higher viewing resolutions when I last talked to him about it (eg he was gonna keep it at 320x200 still lol). Maybe Slitherine or all his beta testers kept pestering him about it and he found a way to do it lol. Either way it's great news. Modern resolutions plus full 13 Wizard slaughterthon games are gonna be epic! Have wishlisted! Before anyone asks no it is not multiplayer lol (try Master of Magic - Implodes Multiplayer edition remake for that).

https://steamcommunity.com/games/114...00754907446252

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation
Old 14-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #887
Lorensadert

This is one of my favorite games. Glad many people love her too.
Lorensadert is offline                         Send a private message to Lorensadert
Old 30-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #888
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorensadert View Post
This is one of my favorite games. Glad many people love her too.
Agreed! I've probably put more hours into MoM than even Civ.. and that's saying something cause I've played a lot of Civ lol!

Big news! Seravy's new Caster of Magic 2 (or Caster of Magic for Windows as Slitherine are calling it) has been officially released on Steam, GoG & Slitherine's own store a few days ago! Sadly my hopes for modern resolutions were dashed (it just stretches 320x200 in a window) so Implodes fan game above is still the only one that does true HD stuff, however CoM has so many other benefits eg a gazillion bug fixes & balance changes, super smart AI opponents, more spells, more buildings, more advanced game modes & options, and best of all NO MORE 5 PLAYER LIMIT!! So umm 14 Wizards going at it in one game? Yes please!

Feel free to drop by the Master of Magic fans Facebook and Discord groups to discuss. Seravy himself is kindly answering questions and bug reports on the discord too!

I know some people aren't huge fans of CoM's changes but maybe Slitherine will take Seravy's new engine source and do a 'MoM for Windows' one day too. Probably wishful thinking but you never know!

Familiar but not quite the same

14 Wizard carnage incoming

Cool new options

Looks the same but apparently the new combat AI is naaaasty

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation
Old 07-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #889
Blake00
Abandonia nerd

A little late to the party with this even bigger news but OMG lol.. After 25 years of nothing it really is an amazing time for us diehard Master of Magic fans! There I was a few weeks ago getting excited about Seravy’s new Caster of Magic 2 for Windows release and then something even more amazing got officially announced, as we finally have confirmation of the Slitherine mystery MoM project I’ve posted about here before! Slitherine are working with Thea series creators MuHa games on a Official Master of Magic Remake!!! MuHa are a small indie studio so sure enough it's nothing AAA however the new remake already looks and sounds pretty good! I can already see people complaining about the hexes and lack of multiplayer but neither of those bother me. You can find the announcement videos (they've remade the old intro!), some nice pictures, and game info on their new Steam and GoG pages!

But I'll stick a few here too!

Trailer/Intro:

Dev Interview:

Blake's Sanctum:
- Emulation
Old 08-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #890
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Well, they made two Theas. This alone is a good recommendation.