Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-08-2005, 06:27 AM   #31
Pung

What about buying 'used ship' as another option of getting 'cheap' ship? Did anyone ever try this? I found it really cheap to get large freighter for $13 mil (built on 1985)

Old 25-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #32
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Pung@Aug 25 2005, 06:27 AM
What about buying 'used ship' as another option of getting 'cheap' ship? Did anyone ever try this? I found it really cheap to get large freighter for $13 mil (built on 1985)
I use that quite often early in the game. Another advantage is that you get your ship immediately, you don't have to wait so many months until it's completed.
However, keep in mind that many of those used ships are in a bad condition, so it will cost you money and time to repair them. I never let any of my ships get below 90%, therefore I've never lost a ship to storms, only to collisions.
Plus, take a good look at the ship's characteristics: some are quite limited in terms of cargo capacity, others have a very short range or are really slow.
But early in the game it's a really good way to buy more ships.

As for the people who have trouble installing and running Ocean Trader: I'm sorry but I don't know how to run it for the first time either; I just tried until I got it working. After that, running _trader.exe simply opens the game without further notices popping up, so I can't see what you're talking about...
Old 28-08-2005, 05:23 AM   #33
demons19

When I click trade.exe, a dos box pops open for about 2 seconds and then closes, nothing else happens after that. I guess its hit and miss with XP
demons19 is offline                         Send a private message to demons19
Old 28-08-2005, 08:17 AM   #34
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by demons19@Aug 28 2005, 05:23 AM
When I click trade.exe, a dos box pops open for about 2 seconds and then closes, nothing else happens after that. I guess its hit and miss with XP
You should use Dosbox (download it from http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs )
On that page you'll also find the tutorial on how to use Dosbox.

And the exe to run the game is _trader.exe, not trader.exe

Hope this helps...
Old 07-09-2005, 07:13 AM   #35
Dave Sherwood

I have the game "Ocean Trader" and have enjoyed many hours startegizing and sailing twixt various ports. The game is good and a bit slow especially when you have a large fleet of ships. The interface doesn't help much with trying to remember what you have loaded and how much you paid for it, you have to keep switching between screens to see what this port or that port will buy or sell. It gets hectic trying to remember all this when you have 27 ships of various capacity and loading ability. Also, the ports that supply various commodities do not regenerate their stock fast enough.Here's a few tips. New York is always good to go supplying steel, Take out the maximum loans that you can and use this to buy the right ship and to give you operating capital (or you won't be able to fill the hold), Vary the commodities you carry EG (sugar, corn, steel. At the next port offload the steel and load copper, next port offload sugar and corn, load copper, take this copper to a port that needs it. Repeat this cycle with all your ships (except tanker and Passenger liners) with various commodities). My current score after 16 Years $6 984 548 210 and 26 ships, bank loans all paid up, now it gets really tough. I'll have to sell all my biggest ships (12) as there are not enough commodities to keep them going. stdave@absamail.co.za.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:11 AM   #36
pung

Hi another_guest, thanx 4 ur help. Ur right, it cost more money when we decide to buy 'second hand' ship. Btw, i had another tips to avoid taxes (that cost me 40mil$!!!, darn). NEVER...EVER...Ask loan from bank. Just keep trading (although ur balance may up to -12mil&). Eventually, it will rose up (eg, especially when you sold machines from New York to Maracaibo, or another developed country).

Old 10-09-2005, 08:42 AM   #37
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Sherwood@Sep 7 2005, 07:13 AM
My current score after 16 Years $6 984 548 210 and 26 ships, bank loans all paid up, now it gets really tough. I'll have to sell all my biggest ships (12) as there are not enough commodities to keep them going.
I try to avoid that by buying passenger ships. Sure, they take a couple of years and a lot of cash to build, but after that you don't need any cash on hand to buy goods. Just fill the fuel tank, insure the ship and start making huge profits.

Tip: New York - Vancouver is one of the best passenger routes in the game, as long as your ship's range is sufficient. In real life I can't imagine anyone paying some $15000 for this trip, but in Ocean Trader passengers just pay per nautical mile, even for weird routes
Old 16-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #38
Leo

:help:

If I want to save, it says: "Wrong file, can not be opened or something" , I got Windows XP, doesn't work in DOSBox either. Has anyone an idea?

Noticed comparable problem with "The Patrician", can't save too.....

Old 16-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #39
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo@Sep 16 2005, 06:16 PM
:help:

If I want to save, it says: "Wrong file, can not be opened or something" , I got Windows XP, doesn't work in DOSBox either. Has anyone an idea?

Noticed comparable problem with "The Patrician", can't save too.....
to save a game you must have a sub-folder named "gamesave" inside the game folder. i don' t know if the version of the game from this site creates it but in case it doesn' t, you will have to create it yourself. your games will be saved inside it. if there is already a folder with that name then, i' m sorry but i can' t help you.
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 20-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #40
Kim

Okay, it seems like all of your guys are very good at this game so I really need som help! I have tried all I can think of but I just don't get it... How do you offload? When I have to deliver something I sail to the right harbour but then how do I offload my wares? :crazy: