Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #21
Arthur Dent
Lurker

Exclamation

This game was fun when it was the only game I owned. But it took so long to accomplish anything that my enthusiasm soon dwindled and became annoyance.

I reccomend playing this if you have a problem with low stress. Docking is sure to raise your BP a few points.

BTW: This is a great site. I have enjoyed it immensely and thought it high time that I stop freeloading and start contributing. (first post)
Arthur Dent is offline                         Send a private message to Arthur Dent
Old 07-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #22
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

back those days, elite managed to entertain me for a looooong time!
although controls were kinda hard to handle, one was getting used to
it with increasing practice.
basically, the "plus" version brings nothing new, except the graphics.
but nevertheless this is a big plus if compared to the original version.
if course, when one has played privateer or freelancer, this old relict
seems quite out of date. but i still has some magic to it, if you have
loved it in the past.

i can remeber playing elite: frontier 1 & 2. these introduced landing
on planets and some other features, but somehow those sequels
were not very revolutionary. to be honest, i'd be enjoying playing
elite plus more than the frontier parts.

anyway, it's a matter of taste - up to now, freelancer is the worthiest
predecessor of good old elite.
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 07-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #23
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Strobe@Jan 7 2005, 07:01 PM
anyway, it's a matter of taste - up to now, freelancer is the worthiest predecessor of good old elite.
I've heard a lot about X2, and just purchased it used the other day from Amazon. Haven't gotten it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. The emphasis supposedly is on open-endedness: you can concentrate on mining, or building factories, on being a pirate, on being a bounty hunter, etc. I know, this seems a lot like other similar titles, but I'm told it really has tremendous depth and there's absolutely no rush to follow the plot.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 08-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #24
goblins
Game Wizzard

well there was a version that updated the graphics and refined the controls called elite - the new kind - need to do a google search and some links are no longer active but you will find it.
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 08-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #25
Guest_PrejudiceSucks

Nah, X2's nowhere near as good as Freelancer. Although there is a point in Freelancer where you can reach until you get followed by the Bounty Hunters EVERYWHERE YOU GO!

Even just coming out of like, New Leeds docking port, oh good gravy, 9 or so Bounty Hunters. And because I'm carring loads of silver, assorted pirates too.

Still, good game, despite the fact that you basically have to run away from everyone after you get to like level 9-ish.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #26
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest_PrejudiceSucks@Jan 8 2005, 12:18 PM
Nah, X2's nowhere near as good as Freelancer. Although there is a point in Freelancer where you can reach until you get followed by the Bounty Hunters EVERYWHERE YOU GO!

Even just coming out of like, New Leeds docking port, oh good gravy, 9 or so Bounty Hunters. And because I'm carring loads of silver, assorted pirates too.

Still, good game, despite the fact that you basically have to run away from everyone after you get to like level 9-ish.
I'm afraid I don't understand. I have played Freelancer, and I do agree, it is extremely unbalanced. It also demands that you follow the plot (in a variety of subtle and unsubtle ways). How is this good?

X2 has clunky combat, but--from everything I've read--a very refined economics system, and absolutely no pressure on the player to advance the plot. I'll tell you right off, I'm not a twitch jockey: in any combat that requires learning a great many moves and showing quick reflexes, I'm bored stiff. I'd just as soon resolve it automatically.

So it would seem that X2 is better for me, just as Freelancer is better for you. Or how do you figure otherwise?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #27
Guest_PrejudiceSucks

Yeah, I suppose you're right. In Freelancer it is actually possible to ignore the plot, by starting a LAN server up and allowing 1 new player to join. After that, you can load Freelancer up and play it plotless.

I find it really useful, as now that I'm level 10 on the SP, I basically have almost no chance to do anything useful, and I've had to learn a whole load of new trade links, due to not being able to land on any of the old planets.

X2 is a good game and yes, to be honest it is less unbalanced. I think that I just don't like it as much, due to the fact that to get anywhere, you need to use the Time Accelerator (I think it's called that).

It's nice that you can set up your own factories, though.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #28
Sandboy

Docking is undoubtedly the most troublesome aspect of this game, I can't count the number of game overscreens I got until I got the hang of it. The trick I find is to stop next to the face of the space station with the entrance tunnel, turn away from the station toward the planet (there is always a planet opposite the entrance to a station), accelerate toward the planet a little way, stop and turn back toward the station. This takes care of a lined up approach, now the difficult bit.

Accelerate toward the entrance, slowing to a minimum speed just before you reach it. Now, as you come to the revolving entrance remember this- your aim for the actual entrance is less important than rotating your ship to be flat on to it at impact. Many times I have hit the middle of the entrance at a slight tilt and have been killed, yet if my ship is flat on to the entrance I have succesfully docked even If I actually hit the wall just above the entrance.

A tip for those of you who, like me, aim to buy an auto docking computer (at 1500 credits or so). If you sell your staring lasers and missiles you can increase your starting credits from 100 to around 650. This will leave you a bit valnurable but the increase in capital will make trading easier, faster and more profitable. Once you get rich you can buy your docking computer, military lasers, missile defence system, etc, etc.

I hope this is of help and I also hope that people can look beyond the outdated graphics and see just how huge, free and fun this game is.

btw, I first played elite (the black and white, line drawn one that is) on the BBC Master when I was 7 years old!!!

Old 12-01-2005, 12:40 AM   #29
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

i found a link where "elite - the new kind" which goblins mentioned can be
downloaded.

here

but from the screenshots i can tell that elite plus has even better graphics
than the new kind, imo. so i didn't try it out.

but i'd be interested in X2. i've heard quite alot about this game, mostly about
it's openendedness, which was highly promoted. but in that respect freelancer
is equal to X2. of course, you've got to follow the plot first of all, but after you've
finished the main story, you're still free to continue the game in various directions.
in fact, this does not include building own stations and such...

but sadly enough, i've got a nasty bug in my version. i can't level up anymore
although i've reached my level requirements (certain amount of credit worth...)
so i'm kind of stuck! (if anybody happens to know something about avoiding this
but, plz help me out!)

ok, now back to topic... :whistle:
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 12-01-2005, 02:06 AM   #30
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

but i'd be interested in X2. i've heard quite alot about this game, mostly about
it's openendedness, which was highly promoted. but in that respect freelancer
is equal to X2. of course, you've got to follow the plot first of all, but after you've
finished the main story, you're still free to continue the game in various directions.
in fact, this does not include building own stations and such...

That's one difference--building your own stations, factories, auto-trading ships in X2. Another is the ability to lead a fleet. A third is that you can't upgrade your craft past several specific points in Freelancer until you do series of plot missions, while in X2 you can build up your ship as much as you want until you feel ready to move ahead.

My copy just arrived, today. I'm busy reading a few guides to the economy and such.