Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #91
ostrichfarmer
Lurker

I figured out the problem already. It seems that my school only allows download less than 50MB. In usual case, download larger than 50MB will results an error page "request is too large", but it seems that somehow it manage to download it, but only up to 49.9 MB. Sigh.... I really want to play this game...so badly.
ostrichfarmer is offline                         Send a private message to ostrichfarmer
Old 20-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #92
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you can try to use a download manager which splits the downloadable part into a couple of separate sessions. try flashget or something like that
Old 23-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #93
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Ostrichfarmer: you've got PM (not sure whether it reached you correctly, as the settings for allowing private messages seem to have changed)
Old 22-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #94
djpeterson83
Default Fragile Allegiance: Error Whilst Opening _MA\_MA : No such file or directory

Sorry to dig up an old and dying thread, but I've been all over the internet trying to figure this one out and have only seen one other person with this problem (earlier post).

I have Windows 7 64-bit so am stuck with using DosBOX 0.74. I have the original legit game CD and made my mounts in DosBOX as below:

mount c c:\games
mount d d:\ -t cdrom

I then navigated to d: and ran INSTALL.EXE. I installed the maximum to C:\FRAGILE and everything completed nicely.

Next I navigated to c:\FRAGILE and typed FRAGILE to run the game. Fragile began to run and allowed me to create a game. When I'm in the game, I can see my first asteroid and even go to the asteroid city planner view. However, when I click on the construction icon, I get the following error and crash to DOS:

Error Whilst Opening "_MA\_MA" : No such file or directory

After doing some investigation, it appears that _MA stores the video files for units and the like. Thing is, there's no _MA\_MA as a file nor sub-directory.

I haven't tampered with my installation and this is probably my 5th attempt at getting this to work - all resulting in the same problem. Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 30-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #95
Casteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeterson83 View Post

Error Whilst Opening "_MA\_MA" : No such file or directory

After doing some investigation, it appears that _MA stores the video files for units and the like. Thing is, there's no _MA\_MA as a file nor sub-directory.

I _just_ downloaded the game from Abandonia, as of 30-August-2010. The _ma\_ma folder and file _are_ in the archive. Make sure you are correctly installing the game and mounting the disks as instructed.. also, make sure, and absolutely sure, that _nothing_ is accessing any of the game files outside of the game (and DOSbox).. This includes virus scanners, and is especially important when loading/saving games--While hacking the save files, I've discovered that if anything outside of DOSBox and the game has any file open, including a virus scanner while it's scanning the files, it often causes Fragile to have major fits and die a horribly dramatic death.

Note that I have not yet installed or tested the abandonia archive, only verified that the file exists in the archive. My local installation of the game is from an ISO image I made of my original game CD. I'll be installing the Abandonia version sometime next week, and I'll post tutorials and help afterwards, as well as any other findings and differences which may help people with problems..
Casteele is offline                         Send a private message to Casteele
Old 22-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #96
zippyriver

Exclamation Manual

I have had FA for a long time, I got it in a jewel case offering. I pulled the pdf off of the cd. hope it works with your acrobat version

The rar is 3mb so I can't upload it. Admin can email me for it if they want.

I have two problems with the game. Sound don't work (remember this is a cd, not a rip). And I would like to turn off all of the useless opening screens.

editoops: XP

Last edited by zippyriver; 22-09-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: additional information
zippyriver is offline                         Send a private message to zippyriver
Old 22-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #97
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeterson83 View Post
I have Windows 7 64-bit so am stuck with using DosBOX 0.74. I have the original legit game CD and made my mounts in DosBOX as below:

mount c c:\games
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
Wrong virtual C:\ mount for Win7 64
Read and apply:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=22241
This will avoid you lots of read/write related problems.
Win7 is very protective about what your programs do on the C: drive.

Also under Vista ànd Win7 you really should use a CD image with imgmount directly in dosbox, not your real CD drive.
Can be an ISO or a BIN/CUE for mixed CDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casteele View Post
.... also, make sure, and absolutely sure, that _nothing_ is accessing any of the game files outside of the game (and DOSbox).. This includes virus scanners, and is especially important when loading/saving games--While hacking the save files, I've discovered that if anything outside of DOSBox and the game has any file open, including a virus scanner while it's scanning the files....
No, really not, no.
See above, when your mountings are correct you won't have that.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #98
GenPun
Default same problem

Hi I've read all the previous posts to this thread and am still having the same problem and think it could be something to do with my pc now but will give it a shot here first if anyone can help.
I run the game as normal but I keep getting the insert cd message. Problem is that I DO actually have the disk for this and am still getting the message. The only time I can run this game is through DOSBOX not windows. I have XP.

I've tried everything and am considering consigning the disc to the trash can if you guy can't help!

Old 15-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #99
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Dump an image of the disc to your hard drive and use the DOSBox command IMGMOUNT to mount it. This can sometimes work around issues with mounting discs in real optical drives.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #100
Taurich

Much apologies for necroing this thread, also for not registering. I'm only likely to post this one question though so...

I'd downloaded this game from another source a few years ago (used to play K240 on amiga when I was a kid). Anyway the problem is this, certain animations have been removed from my build of the game, when the game goes to display a few particular building animations the game will crash out with the message "Video file format wrong"

I'm wondering if someone will be able to tell me how I go about disabling animations altogether, I'd much prefer a still picture rather than a CTD

I'm on an extremely limited download allowance per month, so I'd prefer not to have to download the entire game, I just need a quick n dirty fix for this annoying problem.

Please help, I need the challenge of multiple alien races, K240 is too easy for me these days