Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-08-2004, 08:37 AM   #1
Guybrush
Forum hobbit

After spending the last few years going to flea markets, bidding on eBay auctions and visiting wonderful sites like this one I have built up quite a collection of oldies. I've spent so much time gathering them up in fact that I've hardly had a chance to play any of them. Now that I've gotten something to keep me occupied for years to come I need something worthy of playing them on. I could just play them on my PC of course, but to be honest I just can't stand sitting in front of it very long. I thought it over and I think a laptop would be perfect. The older models are dirt cheap now and would be more than enough to play old adventure games and such. Which one to get though is the question. I have never owned one so I know very little about what to look for and what to avoid. The display should of course be clear and not have very bad ghosting. I suppose I should look for an Active Matrix type. I would probably run Windows 95 or 98 on it so I could boot into DOS for playing games that need it, and use Windows for things like ScummVM. Sound is one of the biggest issues I'm wondering about. Are there any laptops with a real SoundBlaster or other legacy chip that these games support? Do any of them have a headphone jack so I could play without disturing others? What about an addon sound card using PCMCIA? Adventure games need a good pointing device and laptops don't appear to be very strong in that area. There's the trackpoint, trackballs, and that other thing that I can't remember the name of at the moment. I would probably just get an external trackball mouse in any case so that's not a huge concern. I started to bid on a Zenith Z-Note with a Pentium 133 but figured I better shop around some more.

So anyway, what do you guys recommend for building a classic gaming jukebox? Would a laptop really be good enough, or am I just imagining things?

Oh, and Hello! This is my first post here.

--->> Poland Poland Speedway Fans... <<---

Jason Crump Speedway World Champion 2004

The coolest game on earth!! - NHL
Guybrush is offline                         Send a private message to Guybrush