Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Default Knights of Honor

Anyone else play this game? Only only recently discovered how trade routes work, so i could ACTUALLY MAKE MONEY! This means i can actually govern my kingdom and have an army!

I started my most recent game as Ireland in the High medieval age, and in that period Ireland starts with Cork and Munster, but Ulster is in English control. Instead of warring, i just started making money and improving my cities, and i had an economically powerful Ireland in no time Then I allied with Scotland, and gave them money in their war against England. In Europe France was decimated and now a vassal state, but then instead of declaring war on France, who was being ransacked by England at the time, I declared war on England, and captured Ulster, thus uniting Ireland, then I peaced England.

Then, as I re gathered my coinage and my military, I invaded The now-english controlled Aquitaine (im sad, I expected it to be called Gascony) which is on the South-western coast of France. After capturing it easily, I peaced England again, regathered my forces, and then invaded Cornwall, in south western England, and sieged it for a while, but then as a English army came to relieve the siege, I had to attack, and won with lots of casualties, but then the English left.

PROBLEM
So, I now have all of Ireland, a piece of England and a piece of France. Ireland is one of the Major powers in Europe! Only 1 problem; for what ever reason my soldiers WILL NOT ENTER CORNWALL when I tell them too! This is troubling cause if they run out of food i gotta send them all the way BACK to Ireland to refill there food, and I can't garrison the city with a Marshall! Not that it matters; France is Too weak, England is too weak, Scotland is my best friend, Brittany is a close friend, and Wales only declares war if England does, and I can insta-peace it if they do! Infact, Ireland is the second most powerful nation in Europe, next to Germany! Yay! So war isn't really a problem, but still, i bet a rebel army will pop up eventually, and if my troops are away, then they'll be able to pillage my countryside, not that it matters, Cornwall only makes Fish :\

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 27-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
ysorian
Uneducated Member

I also play this game and u dont hafta send ur troops all the way home for food, just pillage someone elses farms?

I love it when u can get a spy workin.... i was playin Highlands, married my prince off to a French wench... turned my prince into a spy, infiltrated France, assassinated the king and took over an entire country without having to send my troops anywhere!

Another game had a spy as the most experienced enemy marshal, that enemies king died without heirs and even tho my spy was locked up by some other country he became king! I paid his ransom, then made him hand over the country to me lol.

I always play the earliest time period, on the middle difficulty, at the moment i started as sicily. I now control all of the italian peninsula, all of north africa, all of spain and am pushin into france.

i cannot for the life of me understand why u cannot replenish in an already captured city? cant say ive ever had that prob :-/
Old 27-04-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

No, the problem is my troops won't go IN the city :\ I tell them to move, and all that happens is they stand outside of it >< Ill just invade Kent, it's the last English controlled place in the English Ilses (ironic) other then that they've been pushed to Normandy and modern day netherlands! Ha! Now im thinking of starting another game as the Papal States....though you prolly cant issue a Crusade, can you? My only problem with the first period is at the start of the game, Ireland sucks, cause the miolitary is weak and the english provinces constantly declare war on you, it took me like an hour just to unite Ireland only to then fight a pitched war against the english provinces for it Til i finally invaded england and took over places like York then the foul english provinces stopped bothering me.

I find the best thing to do is to just get your kingdom power up. No one attacks you once your at 4 or 5, and if you do it like i did (when i had the 3 irish provinces) it wasn't too expensive, BUT it took a while to replenish my peity.

We ate the horse.
Old 27-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Pex
Game Wizzard

I've looked up the game and it looks really good. I wonder how I never heard of it before, considering that it's a type of games that I like... Unfortunately, the local stores do not seem to have it in their offer (at least not when I checked it online).
Old 27-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

This looks really cool. Do you know Europa Universalis or other games by Paradox software, is this something like it?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/europa-universalis
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=15719
Old 27-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
ysorian
Uneducated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubb View Post
No, the problem is my troops won't go IN the city :\ I tell them to move, and all that happens is they stand outside of it >< Ill just invade Kent, it's the last English controlled place in the English Ilses (ironic) other then that they've been pushed to Normandy and modern day netherlands! Ha! Now im thinking of starting another game as the Papal States....though you prolly cant issue a Crusade, can you? My only problem with the first period is at the start of the game, Ireland sucks, cause the miolitary is weak and the english provinces constantly declare war on you, it took me like an hour just to unite Ireland only to then fight a pitched war against the english provinces for it Til i finally invaded england and took over places like York then the foul english provinces stopped bothering me.

I find the best thing to do is to just get your kingdom power up. No one attacks you once your at 4 or 5, and if you do it like i did (when i had the 3 irish provinces) it wasn't too expensive, BUT it took a while to replenish my peity.
I could never figure out how to increase my kingdom power :-/ i could make it go down easily enuff tho lol!

You have to have a knight as a highly experienced cleric and then he may be elected as Pope when the old one dies, then u can issue crusades! it happened for me once, so i sent a crusade into a country to soften it up then declared war and took it for myself lol

It also took me a while to get the hang of it but i am now fighting all my own battles, except for against rebels, too easy. Sieging is hard tho :-/
Old 29-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Too get kingdom power up, you click on the black circle beside the bar with your current power in it. It costs peity and money, but once it's at 5 it's good, my kingdom power racks Ireland a wopping $55 dollars on it's own, at 5! Also i was disappointed that you cant play the Papacy...

BUT in my new game as the Highlands, I've conquered York and Northern Ireland, and am goona try and Coup france, assassinate the royal family then kill the king, so my spy can become king and France will belong to me!

We ate the horse.
Old 30-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
ysorian
Uneducated Member

Spies are such a pain in the arse, it takes forever for them to be hired and then depending on what they are hired as, then u get the options as to what they can do... although the pope thing i was talkin about he was originally a spy, hired by a foreign country to be a cleric and he eventually became pope. funny
Old 30-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Hm....if only i could get rid of all my merchants and make everyman a Marshall and go to war with everyone though my man power would be gone! honestly i'd be nothing if it weren't for caputigin Ulster, cause the highlands man power comes back waaay to slowly to fight a war...now i have all of York, ill invade Wessex next, then East Anglia, then Wales, then Lothian, and all of England will be mine, THEN i'll invade Normandy!

I won't turn on my Irish brothers though...Think ill invade Cork, give it to Leinster, then after acquiring suitable estates, I'll also give Ulster to Ireland and make ireland my best bud. We'll chill together and down a few brewskies

We ate the horse.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

I'm playing now, it looks good. I took Pamplona, I wanted to focus on developing but I was at war with Leon and they refused my white peace offer so I conquered it whole. The war unrest will go away soon right? Now I'm cool with everyone, I have a trade agreement with Cordoba, and "Spain" (Catalonia) is scared to death of me, she will sign anything, not that I have any use for that? She's at war with Cordoba and Burgundy, poor bastards, they won't last, can you think of a way for me to profit from this without getting in too much trouble and decreasing my power?

"Italy" (Lombardy, WTF there was no such kingdom at that time right?) conquered a couple of French provinces and turned the remains into her vassal LOL.

I guess a lot of people have figured this out, but the first thing I'm spending my one marshal's experience in is the pick that makes him learn faster. Doing some math it turns out that the extra experience has completely paid out the 3 points expense before level 7, and after that you're getting twice as much experience for free.

What can you say about fighting units? I could train only peasants and spearmen during this war. I was disappointed because in my experience the latter don't turn out to be better than peasants overall, despite the huge cost difference; but I still keep a couple of spearmen companies around to own the knights.