Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > The ISO Cellar > B
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
Axiom
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
You know you actually edited out the one thing that would have helped people help you. Luckily I read this in my email and I know what your mounted drive is, it is G.

mount d g:\ -tcdrom

That will mount the drive with the image mounted. Your normal C drive mounts are untouched.
Sorry about that, I am in China and sometimes abandonia doesn't work quite right for me... but that is another thread.

Anyway, so

mount d g:\ -t cdrom worked! from there I type d: then install. The game takes me to a set up screen and the game is set up to install. the default install location is <3:\sierra\birthrt and when I try to change the directory, I can change the sierra/birthrt part but not the heart <3. Then when I try to install I get a message it cannot create <3:\sierra\birthrt

Any ideas?
Axiom is offline                         Send a private message to Axiom
Old 13-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Sorry about that, I am in China and sometimes abandonia doesn't work quite right for me... but that is another thread.

Anyway, so

mount d g:\ -t cdrom worked! from there I type d: then install. The game takes me to a set up screen and the game is set up to install. the default install location is <3:\sierra\birthrt and when I try to change the directory, I can change the sierra/birthrt part but not the heart <3. Then when I try to install I get a message it cannot create <3:\sierra\birthrt

Any ideas?
Did you also mount one of your directories as the C: drive? Since it requires a HDD install, you also have to mount a directory on your real hard drive to function as the virtual hard drive. Like mount c: c:\mygames\ or something.
Old 13-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Axiom
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
Did you also mount one of your directories as the C: drive? Since it requires a HDD install, you also have to mount a directory on your real hard drive to function as the virtual hard drive. Like mount c: c:\mygames\ or something.
Hmm, not sure I understand.

so I would have to type the following;

mount c e:\-t cdrom

and then

mount c c:\birthright

then

c:

install

Should that work?

the game is in a folder on my c drive, the daemon tools drive is e

By the way thank you so much for taking the time for helping me out with this. I do tech support at the company I am at so I know its sometimes a pain to help newbs
Old 14-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

No, it's wrong, you're mounting two different things to the same drive letter C, so the second one will overwrite the first one.

First make the folder "c:\dos" in Windows. Then launch DOSBox and enter "mount C c:\dos", then "mound D e:\ -t cdrom". Then (with the CD in the tray) enter "D:" and then "install".

If you install it to "c:\sierra\birthrt" in DOSBox, in Windows you'll have it at "c:\dos\sierra\birthrt", because "mount c c:\dos" means that you mount "c:\dos" as "c:\" inside DOSBox. The c: disk inside DOSBox is different from the one outside in Windows, it can be anything.
Old 14-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #15
Axiom
Forum hobbit

Sorry about the double post... this is kind of what i meant... sometimes this board acts super weird for me
Old 14-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Axiom
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post

sigh, sometimes I see a reply to this, and sometimes I don't. Curse you Great Fire wall!
Old 29-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Axiom
Forum hobbit

Just wanted to say thanks to the folks here for helping me to get this game working!

Many thanks!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Lothyr

Thumbs up

Hello Fellow Iso Cellar Visitors:

Thanks to the folks who made this and other old games available.

I had bought Birthright many years ago, but due to a poor PC at the time, the game lost interest for me {bugs, etc.}. 15 years later, I am back in Anuire(sp?) and loving it. That game, although poorly rec'd, has a huge value for me just based on the huge amount of text that can be perused. Just interesting reading imho.

So, I just wanted to leave a few tips on setting up Birthtright: The Gorgon's Alliance on a newer machine for those who might have a similar rig to me.

Graphics on a Wide Screen LCD:

I tested out several options, and this one gives a pretty good interface:

1) If you can, set your monitor to 4:3 aspect
2) Birthright was originally 640x480 {4:3 aspect} - my widescreen was set up as 16:9 but when I want to play Birthright I switch to a resolution of 1280x960...after changing aspect to 4:3 - it is not the BEST but we're talking DOS graphics...Black borders on East/West sides of my screen.
3) open dosbox's config option batch file and enter w/e settings you need, in graphics, if your setup is like mine, this worked very nicely:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=0x0
windowresolution=0x0
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

machine=svga_s3

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

The graphics end up filling the screen area that they can and have crisp graphics much as if the game was at original resolution...

If your having trouble mounting the game:

Autoexec:

mount C c:\0dos
mount D F:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd \sierra\
birthrt

Of course you would need to install the game to a folder called 0dos on your c: drive, after mounting the game ISO via Daemon tools or w/e as a D: virtual CD drive...as far as I am aware, the DOS version of the game doesn't allow use of the Character Editor that Sierra still has available on the Help page

The Chared.exe requires a Windows NT version of the game, and as I am running DOS, this is not working for me as yet, if I find the solution I'll post back here...

The details on the graphics I give credit to an Indian fellow who posted a YouTube video about setting up Dosbox to use a widescreen LCD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo1PaNf3y7Q
Lothyr is offline                         Send a private message to Lothyr