forgot to mention the almighty SHIFT key for running/faster turn <_<

Old 24-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #22
BIOFAN

duh,
one more key for you :wallbash:

- D for diagnosis screen to heal yourself/reload energy

this should be the last one, i hope

Old 24-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #23

My problem is I don't know where the "CD" installed to... like where would the default path be? I don't know where to put the X folder and .BAT file, I don't know where the install directory is.

Old 24-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #24
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BIOFAN @ Jun 24 2007, 06:18 PM) [snapback]296123[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
no, there are also the installed files from "CD" (aka. the substituted drive S.
the problem with the ZIP archive is the included INSTALL.OPT file. there are wrong paths written.
you can look at it with notepad. its a simple text file. the wrong paths (C:\BIOF\ in this case)
[/b]
:tai:

THis is my mistake guys, i can't believe i missed this. There wasn't supposed to be this BIOF directory, only C: but i missed this. That is why you can't get it to work and it worked fine for me.

All right, the easiest way would be to simply erase every BIOF and BIOFORGE from the INSTALL.OPT and mount your BIOFORGE directory as c: in DosBox. You can open INSTALL.OPT with notepad.

This is how INSTALL.OPT shoul look when sound card is set to none

Dir=C:\X\BIO\BIOFORGE
TempDir=C:\
PlayDir=C:\gamedat
text=C:\X\BIO\BIOFORGE\monitors\text.flx
MsgPathE=C:\script\Emessage.txt
MsgPathF=C:\script\Fmessage.txt
MsgPathG=C:\script\Gmessage.txt
language=E
KeyboardExt=E
Soundvol=100
Musicvol=100
Gamma=50
ScriptDir=C:\script\*.*
Figures=C:\body
Items=C:\items
MusicPath=C:\music\music.flx
SoundDir=C:\sound
SPEED_FACTOR=2
_TIMETEST=1
subtitles=1
SOUND=OFF
SndPort=0
SndIRQ=0
SndDMA=0
SndCardId=0
MUSIC=OFF
MusicPort=0
MusicCardId=0

Now if for example your Bioforge directory is in D:\GAMES\BIOFORGE simply mount in Dosbox like this
mount c: d:\games\bioforge

then you can start install to set sound and after that run Bioforge.bat

You need to make virtual S: which is copy of X directory but that is done in BIOFORGE.BAT so you don't have to delete the subst S: because it is done from DOsBox.

I'M VERY SORRY, i will fix the problem right away, i just need to put this modified INSTALL.OPT in the archive, only it might take some time to upload
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 24-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #25

Biofan, I tried every key you posted in #20, but in the very beginning when the cyborg is lying on the bed, the only key that works for me is 'L'.
And I do have a numpad and arrow keys which work, they even work in the Load Menu in this game.

I did a full install from the CD in the X folder.
And I'm running Dosbox 0.70

Also, I don't see a mouse cursor when the cyborg is asleep, but I do see one in the Load menu and the difficulty selection.

Am I missing something or is the game not working right for me?

Old 24-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #26

And to add to that, I do hear music, the game runs smoothly. I see the Health monitor behind the Cyborg moving. And I see some blinking blue pixels on the evil-looking R2D2.

Old 24-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #27
BIOFAN

to complicate things further :w00t:, you can even let all this SUBST stuff aside and set DIR in INSTALL.OPT to the correct path
e.g. Dir=C:\BIOFORGE\X\BIO\BIOFORGE or as writen by marko_river Dir=C:\X\BIO\BIOFORGE if you choose to mount the install directory as C:
the you can start with BIOFORGE.EXE and forget any SUBST.

the only reason why i took the "fresh new install" approach is that "DOS newbies" might get confused up with config files and messy paths.

@GUEST: in the beginning you have to wait .. your cyborg is paralyzed so he needs a sec to wake up. this is part of the game!

PS: if you get black screens with music in dosbox after starting, it might be that your box is configured to "slow".
hit CTRL+F12 several times and wait. if it starts, tune your box for maximum pleasure :bleh:
i recommend the following entries in your dosbox.conf/dosboxrc:
Code:
[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=max
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000
for further tuning read the documentation @ dosbox.sf.net/wiki

PPS: if your game crashes like mine at the color puzzle near the end and you use dosbox 0.7, downgrade to 0.65!
that solved the problem for me.

have fun

Old 24-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #28

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marko_river @ Jun 24 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]296140[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'M VERY SORRY, i will fix the problem right away, i just need to put this modified INSTALL.OPT in the archive, only it might take some time to upload
[/b]
if you are going to fix the zip package, i suggest you repack a complete new TINY INSTALL with the fixed path entries in INSTALL.OPT.
go with the default install dir C:\BIOFORGE and point in the review page, that it MUST be copied to C:\BIOFORGE and remove the .BAT
this way the compressed .zip (at max) gets under 50MB (~15MB saved).
this way it should be working pretty straight forward.

just my two cent

Old 25-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #29
Sonicfan37
Forum hobbit

Ok, so I get that you need to wait for your robot guy to wake up... but for how long? I've been waiting for... a long time now. And should Numlock be on or off?

Oh, and simply copy and paste the install.opt text from the earlier post into your install.opt file for anyone who is having trouble getting the game to run.
Sonicfan37 is offline                         Send a private message to Sonicfan37
Old 26-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #30
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes, copy paste of install.opt will do the trick.

As for awakening, you actually need to wait for a few shake-ups (they are not earthquakes as you will discover later) that will awake him. After that you have to press buttons to get up, don't know which one exactly, i never had the problem with it.
I suggest playing on numpad but still don't know should numlock be on or off.

Also, i finished entire game in DosBox 0.65, i didn't know that there might be some problems near the end.

As for the cycles, i actually got the best results when lowering the cycles. I played it on PentiumIII and i always set default cycles to 5000. But in this case it was smooter in 4000 cycles. Don't know about faster computers.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river