Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #71

I agree in general about the difference between X1 and X2, X1 had more thrill and excitement, while almost everything is the same on X2. However, it's the twists in the research tree that make X2 so interesting, as well as the use of Hand to Hand weapons (Which cleave through the lobsters like butter btw) For those who don't know it, calcinites are the key to H2H weapons, a corpse will be enough for the Vibro Blade, but a live one is needed for the others. The problem is that they don't always appear in the game

Old 31-01-2005, 01:33 AM   #72
Kevin

I remember the intro video was actually animated when I first played x-com 2 many years again. I the game I downloaded here has the intro as a slide show. Is that just the way it is now?

Old 31-01-2005, 04:18 AM   #73
Jman4117
Game freak

That version of the game is about 30mb I believe. Would take up a lot of extra bandwidth just to get the video.
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 31-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #74
albur
Lurker

xcom 1 is a litle better than xcom 2 but the best for me is xcom-apocalypse (xcom 3) you can do a lot of things you've never imagine. I recomend it for you all
albur is offline                         Send a private message to albur
Old 06-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #75
another_guest

Some people told me TFtD was too hard for them to complete - I never tried, as it looked way too much like UFO...
But a sort of cheat I've never run across on the internet so far, is to alter your soldiers:
use a hexeditor to open the "soldiers.dat" file; you'll see their names followed by a series of figures. Change any of those values that aren't 00 to CC (for an early saving). This will give you more time units, excellent accuracy, etc. Only throwing grenades won't work anymore since every possible place is out of reach. Maybe it's got to do with the throwing accuracy being too high.
Oh, and the reason why I'd limit to CC (theoretically you could go all the way up to FF, which is hexadecimal for 255) is that your soldiers will improve with time. Once they'd get above 255 for any characteristic, you won't be able to use them at all.
As for savings later in the game: the improvements of your soldiers compared to their beginning status, will be listed after their initial values in the file, so there only alter the first half of all values (or change them all to 66 -> together with the improvements that will give you about 200 for each characteristic).
I'm not 100% sure about the order in which the characteristics are listed in the file, I believe it was the same order as in the game when you look at the soldiers' stats, but if you want to be sure you'll have to try for yourselves...

Old 06-02-2005, 04:50 AM   #76
Jman4117
Game freak

The game isn't THAT hard...
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 06-02-2005, 04:44 PM   #77
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The game is easily twice as hard than the original but that's hardly a problem for me... :blink:

The real problem woudl be that it's also twice as long, so twice as boring...
Old 11-02-2005, 07:01 AM   #78
x-com maniac

the game ! X-com Wow awsome ...

the story ! great !

Old 14-02-2005, 06:56 AM   #79
DrGamut

ACK! I'm having a big issue in X-Com 1.

Can anyone help me?

The first time I played, I did terrible, scored negative monthly ratings every time, and eventually lost the USA to the aliens.

Second time around, complete opposite, 1000+ monthly ratings every month, taking down every sighted UFO and/or defeating their forces at land.

April 1999 comes around...suddenly the USA is buzzing with UFOs. I take down 2 larges and various smalls, but allow two very larges to conduct their business in Canada and USA untouched, big mistake. An infiltration mission succeeds and I lose USA. So I reload my save and redo April, this time I take out both battleships as soon as I can (after they land on the USA), and a large abductor as well. Another large ship manages to slip away before I can get it. This is on the 14th. So I fast forward to the end of the month to see what happens, skipping through completed research notifications and spottings of small craft (no terrorism site comes up, though it does if I don't fast forward). At the end of the month...

USA STILL GOES TO THE ALIENS.

What the hell is up? If I play too poorly I lose them? If I play too well I lose them? This wouldn't be such an issue if my base wasn't /IN/ USA.

...what do I do? =(

Old 14-02-2005, 07:30 AM   #80
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
...what do I do? =(
Asking in the right game thread might be wise...