Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
swiss
who's not Swiss

Hi folks,

I am going to get myself a notebook for Christmas but I really don't know what I should buy.

I definately DON'T want to have any ACER or ASUS thing those look disgusting. And the display must not be larger that 15.4 inch ...

Currently my favourite is this amazon Samsung R50:
Samsung R50 WVM 1730 III 15,4 Zoll Notebook (Intel Centrino 1,73 GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD +/- RW DL, X700, XPHome)

Second choice would be a Toshiba ....

What do I need to play games on it? Is a Radeon mobile X700 with 128 own memory OK?

help :help:

swiss
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 20-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Why don't you want ASUS? Acer is rubish but ASUS has the best quality products out there and the best after sales support possible. If you want a reasonably priced games laptop go for the ASUS A6Va, Pentium M730-770, centrino platform, 512MB-2GB RAM, X700M 128MB and comes with free two year global pick up and return warrenty.
It's the best deal out there.

review
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2628

Looks aren't everything and in my book they are very little. That said the A6Va doesn't look bad its simply not flashy.

About your gaming question. For high graphic levels the X700 128MB is the minimum. It can run all of todays games at high levels and will be a reasonable performer for the next year or two. A step down from there, the X600, is also good for right now but it will age more rappidly. Things to watch out for are the GF6200 and everything that is integrated, these do not allow you to play even current games at high graphic levels, if at all.
Since you are not in the market for a desktop replacement laptop the X700 is what you need to look for. It is as high as you can go with a laptop that is under 3KG.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 20-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
swiss
who's not Swiss

hmmm ... sounds nice ... but ...

I need a notebook which looks good! I have an Apple Powerbook G4 and it would just look like crap if I had a standard black notebook next to it. I know that this must sound a bit weird but : Looks do count much for me!

this one: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1451G 15,4 Zoll WXGA Notebook (Intel Centrino 1.73GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD+-RW DL, W-LAN, XPHome)
also sounds and looks good ...

What's it gaming with the X700 and a 1.73Ghz Centrino ?

Currently I have a normal PC with an Athlon XP 3200+ and a Radeo 9600 XT-4 256MB. Will a notebook be much much slower or just a bit ?
Old 20-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The Notebook as discribed will be ALOT faster then your current PC. Also check my edit of my first post about graphics.

I can't help you if you prefer looks, you'll have to decide what you like on your own. If you have a notebook selected just show it and I'll hepl you with the technical aspect of it.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 20-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
swiss
who's not Swiss

as I stated before I really fell in love with this one:

notebook
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...5Fencoding=UTF8
tech-spec
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/tg/stores...3830138-3898148

and you think that even this one is faster than my current PC ?
Old 20-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_Ferrar...aptops/prod.asp

I don't know, those Acers look pretty nice to me.

And yes, you are weird.

Also, I always considered the Toshiba laptops beautiful.
Still, I would never decide on a laptop on its beauty factor.

It could look like a pile of muck, if it performed well, and it was cheap, I wouldn't care at all about it. :-)

efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 20-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That is a nice price for a laptop with that feature set. I don't know how well Samsung products are in terms of build quality and support as they are not active on the Dutch market but there is nothing wrong with it. The "AV Station Now" is a nice feature and one almost unique.

Yes this laptop is faster then your computer, when playing games. The CPU is slightly faster and the GPU is a lot faster (about 40%, but has less memory). Just remember that you will not be able to get good batterylife when running at high speed.
If you are doing CPU intensive processes like encoding video the difference will not be dramatic. The Athlon XP line is the AMD counterpart to Intel's PIII while the P-M is based on the P4.
There are other (more important) factors that affect speed however and depending on how much memory you have in your PC the effect is more or less pronounced.
Old 21-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
swiss
who's not Swiss

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Nov 20 2005, 07:39 PM
I don't know, those Acers look pretty nice to me.

And yes, you are weird.
1. I think that one look most crappy of all acers ... :bleh:

2. right ... nothing I can do about it ...

Thank you both for your comments ... I made up my mind and it'll be the Samsung - the only thing I need for complete happyness is the money ... let it be december soon and I get my xmas-extra-money from my boss ... :Brain:

Old 22-11-2005, 06:50 AM   #9
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah money, that always remains the problem doesn't it?
Old 22-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Yeah to me money is always the biggest problem.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98