Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

I was thinking on how cool it would be if abandonia would have a sister site dedicated to emulation purposes. Does anyone else agree with me?
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 AM   #2
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I dont think we cant do it, but if we can, il support it! k:
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 02-11-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
Morrin
Underground

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burger Meister @ Nov 2 2006, 01:57 AM) [snapback]264911[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I was thinking on how cool it would be if abandonia would have a sister site dedicated to emulation purposes. Does anyone else agree with me?
[/b]
Yeah, definetly, but using torrents for example is less the effort, than downloading them one by one.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

We've actually been pondering about that idea for some time now, but it is slowly becoming apperant that it will never happen, sadly. At least when it comes to NES and SNES.

I've had long debates with Nintendo about the possibility for such a site, where we work close to them and have strict rules for which games we can host on the site (and which games would only get a review), but Nintendo is very clear. No sites will ever get Nintendo's permission to host any ROMs for either NES or SNES. Which, by AB's rules, means that all these games are forever and ever considered Protected (and since Nintendo is an ESA member, that makes the games ESA Protected as well).

Which leaves Amiga and so on. I can't really say much about that, as I have absolutely no idea about Amiga, and never owned one myself. In fact, I don't think I have ever played a game on an Amiga. Actually, I don't even know what an Amiga looks like.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Then lets go for it! Amiga, Commodore, Spectrum...etc.. emulator site!

And Tom, altough im younger than you, I have owned Amiga, I have played Amiga and I have seen Amiga.

EDIT: And same goes with Commodore.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 02-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

That Leaves:

-Game gear
-Amiga
-Commodore
-Spectrum
-Master System
-Genesis
-Wonderswan
-Neo Geo
-Neo Geo Pocket
-Turbo Graphix
-Turbo Graphix 16

There's most likely more...
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 02-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Nov 2 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]264981[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Which leaves Amiga and so on. I can't really say much about that, as I have absolutely no idea about Amiga, and never owned one myself. In fact, I don't think I have ever played a game on an Amiga. Actually, I don't even know what an Amiga looks like.
[/b]
Erm, Tom, the box scan you provided for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is a scan of the Amiga version. Unless you bought it just because you liked the picture, you probably have seen an Amiga.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 02-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I borrowed it from a friend
He's got alot of boxes, so I grabbed all I could to scan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burger Meister @ Nov 2 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]264987[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
That Leaves:

-Game gear
-Amiga
-Commodore
-Spectrum
-Master System
-Genesis
-Wonderswan
-Neo Geo
-Neo Geo Pocket
-Turbo Graphix
-Turbo Graphix 16

There's most likely more...
[/b]
That's quite a list, actually. Okies. How many of these systems are dead and buried? I.e. which of these systems can you not buy today? I think Commodore 64 is dead, isn't it?

The problem is the following, you see. If the system is still sold somewhere (anywhere), then all the games for that particular system would be illegal to host on the net. Well, more illegal than games for a dead system (It's still copyright theft).

Why?
Quite simple really. Let's take an example with the aforementioned Indiana Jones game for Amiga, and assume that the game is no longer sold, but that the Amiga is.

I am a gamer, and I would like to play that particular Amiga game. I do not own an Amiga, but I know that Abandonia hosts Amiga ROMs for me to freely download. So I head over there and download it and a suitable emulator for my computer. By doing that I am harming the sales of the Amiga system. What I should have done would be to buy the system from the store that is selling it, and then gone on Ebay or simillar and bought a used copy of the game.

By playing games on a system it was not designed for, you are seriously harming the sales for that system - why buy consoles, if you can play all the games on just one system?

For that simple reason we can not host ROMs for active systems.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Nov 2 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]265041[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
For that simple reason we can not host ROMs for active systems.
[/b]
actually you just said that we can but its not nice and harming for systems
Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Nov 2 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]265041[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The problem is the following, you see. If the system is still sold somewhere (anywhere), then all the games for that particular system would be illegal to host on the net. Well, more illegal than games for a dead system (It's still copyright theft).
[/b]
You can find any of these systems 2nd hand on GameStation, eBay, or Game. :bleh:

If you mean buying them new, then you cannot buy the Spectrum. Amiga, and Commodore anymore.

I have noticed as well that links for Amiga and C64 versions have been added to the game pages.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo