Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-02-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Tobias S?rensen

I love Dungeon Keeper. It's my all time favourite game. Unfortunately, my father has changed my computer from having windows95 to windows XP, and now, I cannot run the game anymore. Is it now impossible for me to ever play the game again? Or is there a solution, which will allow me to play it still?
I hope someone is able to help me...

Old 19-02-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
FreeFreddy

Well, I'm able to play the game in Windows using the file Keeper95.exe and Deeper95.exe. The only problem I encounter there is that the game slows down extreme heavy after playing a bit, but that happens only in the first 4-5 levels and almost doesn't happen later in the game. I think this happens only because my PC is far too fast for the game, and it's kind of isn't speed-optimized for the new-generation PC's like other new games of that time. And you have only to save the game and restart, and it runs good enough again.

Should it be possible that you can't play the Windows version of Dungeon Keepr Gold on WinXP, try to play it with the keeper.exe and deeper.exe under DosBox and see if that helps. Though you should know that the game would need quite a fast PC for playing fast enough in DosBox, I would say at least P4 2 if not faster Ghz. After all, it was pretty slow on my 486 DX2 66 Mhz which DosBox emulates...

Old 21-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
JustAHuman

I have downloaded DK from Home of the Underdogs, but I cant play it. When I start the game, it is loading ok, but then I see the image of CD with question mark on it and the game needs cd. I dont get it, is this a cd rip version or not? :blink:
JustAHuman is offline                         Send a private message to JustAHuman
Old 21-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
FreeFreddy

In the main folder of the game there's a file called keeper.cfg. Open it with Notepad (Win98) or Editor (WinXP) and change in this line:
INSTALL_PATH=E:\KEEPER\
the path of the CD drive to the path of the folder where Dungeon Keeper is in / installed. For example:
INSTALL_PATH=C:\GAMES\DKEEPER (if it's the folder where you copied the game over)
Then the problem should be gone.

Old 21-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Dreadlord
[BANNED]

I looked at this thread for a last resort, but it seems you're advice worked, thanks man.
Dreadlord is offline                         Send a private message to Dreadlord
Old 21-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
FreeFreddy

You're welcome. Have fun with the game.

Old 21-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
hackr_virus_05
Lurker

Thumbs down

OK, to run Dungeon Keeper in Win XP, load the CD image to DAEMON and when mounted in a virtual drive run windows program combaility wizard and run it for Windows 95 thats i have to do or, if it allows you to (with the CD image i don't know i don't use it) install it for dos and run it in DOSbox!
hackr_virus_05 is offline                         Send a private message to hackr_virus_05
Old 24-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
zezaekrael

Is it just me or has anyone noticed: DK Gold isn't a DOS app, nor are there DOS exectuables on the DK Gold CD or image. Trying to run it in DOS box or a DOS window is not going to work.
zezaekrael is offline                         Send a private message to zezaekrael
Old 28-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #9
Ross

Do not double post. In this case you started a new topic asking the same and one minute after you ask in another thread (this one). This is considered as spam. Look at your started topic for answer(s) - Eagle of Fire

Old 28-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by zezaekrael@Feb 24 2005, 05:19 PM
Is it just me or has anyone noticed: DK Gold isn't a DOS app, nor are there DOS exectuables on the DK Gold CD or image. Trying to run it in DOS box or a DOS window is not going to work.
If you mean the version from HOTU, no idea. I never downloaded it, no need as I have the game on CD. Though if there're no DOS executables, there have to be Windows executables wich should run at least fine in Windows XP...