Yes 36 85.71%
No 4 9.52%
Give me a moment please 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #21
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ah, so it would be something like the Unpopular Game of the Week? (Might want to find a slightly more positive way of putting it, though. )
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 14-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #22
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well, not the unpopular, more like overseen, forgoten...
There's be no need of putting a game like X-com on there again - except if we'd wanna see which game out of top 10 most popular games would actually get more votes (X-com, Civ II, Settlers II, Alone in the Dark...).

Otherwise it would be great game gems, that we have, but are being overlooked (like Pirates, Stunts, Supremacy,... - these are just examples)
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 14-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #23
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

But wouldn't people ideally have to have played them in order to vote on them in a poll? And if people had played them, they wouldn't be overlooked, would they? So we might end up having polls in which very few people voted, so the Game of the Week would be based on 10-15 votes at most...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 14-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #24
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Look at it this way. If we get many votes - the games in question weren't overlooked, but a clear opinion would be stated - is Caesar II beter then Centurion (OK, maybe bad examples, because both are ESA)... this would mean recycling a popular game reminding people of the fact we have it (some propaganda for the site).

If there are only a few votes, then the games were really overlooked, so it's a good thing to remind people of these underated gems.

Also if people vote without playing the game, they'd have to decide for a game either based on the review or the screenshots (or both), so a reviewers work was not in vain - not to mention, the game would be brought back under the spotlight for a while.

I started thinking about this after opening the thread for Hidden Agenda (the game was added a long time ago, but I don't know why, there was no game discusion opened). As soon as it was opened a few replies were made. So the game became slightly interesting again - even after so much time. But obviously it wasn't interesting enough before, because no-body posted that the link was missing.

I think this idea would be useful - if not we can always drop it. And the votes so far speak clearly for the idea.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 14-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #25
punch999
The true Shadow President

I voted yes by a mistake b4 I saw that it would detract updates.

NO for me raffles has a huge point
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 14-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #26
bruno
Home Sweet Abandonia

i like the idea of sebastianos, to make the game of the week.
Some person may dasn´t like to see games already in here, with news, but if the news said, no the best of the week but the best of some category.

For me the best of the week , it is only with the games of the last week. :whistle:
bruno is offline                         Send a private message to bruno
Old 15-11-2005, 04:14 AM   #27
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Hmm, you have a point LF. It would have to be something different then "The Game of the Week", because that really implys that it's one of the games added in the last week and that would be senseless - all the game of the curent week are still visable in the news section anyway.

What about - We recomend you to try XXX game - or something like that?

And Punchy... this replacing the regular update for the Sunday shouldn't be a problem at all. There have been several situations when the daily updates were seriously endangered anyway and I think a Sunday's news for an overlooked game would be much better then simply skipping an update for a day leaving a blank
Old 15-11-2005, 05:18 AM   #28
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

it sounds like a good idea, and both good and bad points have been presented.

I think something that could be done would be likee, have different catergories each week.

One week, favorite Adventure, the next favorite action, and people can nominate anyone they want from that catergory.

Only thing that could be confusing, would be how votes are cast. They could be sent VIA PM for the first like, two or three days (Monday-Wednesday), followed by a thread created in which board members vote on the top five or ten or whatever out of those that received the majority of the votes via PM. Only problem with this, is you might not have a large majority, in which case the number of games each week in the top whatever would vary slightly.

If it was done something like this, I think it could work. The news could be something like those ads at the movies that say "Remember when:" and then list like, four movies from 1988 or something.

Yeah...it could work if it was done correctly, otherwise I think too many people would be disappointed by it.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 15-11-2005, 07:23 AM   #29
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, at any rate we could have a trial run, I suppose.

I don't think the name should contain the word "favourite", though, because that would suggest it's one of the games that already are well-known and popular. What about something lame like "overlooked gem"?
Old 15-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #30
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Nov 15 2005, 05:14 AM
What about - We recomend you to try XXX game - or something like that?
We already have that. The small medals.

In the new layout, you will be able to search by those. Plus we have most popular games.