Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > The ISO Cellar > C
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-12-2006, 01:06 AM   #11
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

I wouldn't say cd-rips are complete in any sense of the word. They are rips, plain and simple - there's nothing complete about them. What's provided here that you're calling cd-rips are actually complete copies of the game insofar as what's important to the user. I ripped nothing from Cannon Fodder 2 that would affect the game experience. I simply didn't include the 'maintenance' and non-english files. In no way am I saying that it's better to a CD image. It's not. In fact, I'll be the first to admit it's a poor substitute, but it's a helluva lot better substitute to a cd-rip. You'll find many complete games released as freeware and otherwise as non CD images. Tom placed entries for many of them independent of my old site listing (well, it's not that old, but it's out of date now).

Like I said though, whenever possible, a CD image is preferred.

As you admit yourself ISO also means "complete copy". Both definitions of ISO are relevant here. Why would this upset you? We could play on semantics in many ways here, but the whole point of all of this is to provide complete games. That's all. Keep in mind, no matter what format is used we're not duplicating a game exactly; we're not using the equipment the CDs were originally manufactured on, nor are we reproducing the artwork on the CD or the source medium material itself. You did the right thing though. You saw something lacking, and provided a closer digital snapshot of what we're shooting for here. Now the user of this index has another choice when looking for the complete game.

We can't rename the forum to '"ISO and CD-rips" because CD-rips usually mean the excising of video and music. We're not dealing with those.

Believe me, I have no love for cd-rips. I've been trying to wake up the abandonware community about this for a long time, that we have to stop proliferating these mutilations or these mutilations will be all that's left someday.

If you think option 2 should be option 1, I'll accommodate. But can't we move past this then? The more important 'battle' is about complete games versus incomplete ones.
Gargantuan Orangutan is offline                         Send a private message to Gargantuan Orangutan