Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-03-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
Runespawn

Send a message via MSN to Runespawn

I've tried just about everything: right-clicking on the window and selecting run with VDMS, selecting PC Speaker and Sound Card and starting the game, typing it into dosbox and it still won't bleedin' work!!! :angry: :wallbash: The sound for Flashback works perfectly

My PC is new (bought about 3 weeks ago) and I have the newest versions of dosbox and VDMS installed. I've been up until this hour trying to figure it out and I have to be up for work in about 4 hours, so you can see how frustrated I am. Please help. Beannachtaí beo de mac Matarok!! k:
Runespawn is offline                         Send a private message to Runespawn
Old 14-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Configure the game to use following soundcard settings:
Sound Blaster 16
IRQ 7
DMA 1
Adress 220

These are defaults for DosBox and VDMSound
If the game asks your for HDMA, it's 3.

If there is no option for Sound Blaster 16, try Sound Blaster Pro 2. If that's not there either, try the "plain" Sound Blaster Pro, and if that's missing too choose "normal" Sound Blaster.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Runespawn

It worked! Thanks so much for that, man! But wait, there's more: will other games run on those settings?
Runespawn is offline                         Send a private message to Runespawn
Old 14-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
Runespawn

Whoops. Actually, I think I made a mess of it. I closed the program and when I went to run it again, the sound didn't work. How exactly did (do) I do it, again? Do I type out exactly what you wrote in dosbox.conf (in the sound blaster section)? I suck at computers....
Old 15-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

All games will work on those settings, unless you change them in your emulator and you needn't. It's the game you must configure, not DOSBox or VDMSound. It seems you didn't save the changes you made. Try running another program in the game's folder, it's usually named SETUP, SETSOUND, INSTALL or something like that, configure sound hardware there, and save changes --if there's such option, if not they'll be saved nonetheless.
Old 15-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Whoops. Actually, I think I made a mess of it. I closed the program and when I went to run it again, the sound didn't work. How exactly did (do) I do it, again? Do I type out exactly what you wrote in dosbox.conf (in the sound blaster section)? I suck at computers....[/b]
Nope. The settings I gave you are ones that DosBox and VDMSound use as default (personally I always change the soundcard to Sound Blaster Pro 2... it's a matter of personal preference rather than practicality, though).
What you have to do is run the game's sound configuration utility (usually named install, config, setup or setsound) and configure the game to use these settings.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Runespawn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Mar 15 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]283688[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
All games will work on those settings, unless you change them in your emulator and you needn't. It's the game you must configure, not DOSBox or VDMSound. It seems you didn't save the changes you made. Try running another program in the game's folder, it's usually named SETUP, SETSOUND, INSTALL or something like that, configure sound hardware there, and save changes --if there's such option, if not they'll be saved nonetheless.
[/b]
That's what happened, I didn't save. But that (making some changes in dosbox.conf) is how I got the sound to work (if only for a few seconds) before making a muck of it. I tried doing a few other things and maybe the same thing again but to no avail. And as far as I know (I'm not at home right now, will confirm then) there's no setup file for Blackstar in either the Windows folder - only a few readme files, and the sound file just says which kind of card Vittaco used to make the game (and something about autoexec.exe) - or on dosbox (except for FM.COM, which doesn't do anything really). I know other games have them and I know how to use them but this game seems different. I played the first episode on a Game Empire compilation years ago and it's great without the sound but I'd still like to hear it!

Oh, when I open the game it gives a sound option: should I select PC Speaker or Sound Card?
Old 15-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sound Card.

-- Reed Richards
Old 15-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #9
Runespawn

Phew! I did it! Thanks again, everybody! :w00t: