Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #11
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoonman@Jul 20 2005, 07:30 PM
Well Linux itself is probably perfectly fine if you can handle its user-unfriendly interface, I just don't like Linux-Jehova's who keep on nagging that you should use Linux followed by 10 pages of arguments\drooling and\or anti-Microsoft statements.

(Hey, I already started using firefox, now shut your traps and let me prefer Windows)
Nobody said you couldn't prefer Windows. Now shut your trap and let us continue talking about Linux, that's what this thread is about.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 21-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
Spoonman
Flyswatter

Quote:
Originally posted by MdaG+Jul 20 2005, 09:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MdaG @ Jul 20 2005, 09:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spoonman@Jul 20 2005, 07:30 PM
Well Linux itself is probably perfectly fine if you can handle its user-unfriendly interface, I just don't like Linux-Jehova's who keep on nagging that you should use Linux followed by 10 pages of arguments\drooling and\or anti-Microsoft statements.

(Hey, I already started using firefox, now shut your traps and let me prefer Windows)
Nobody said you couldn't prefer Windows. Now shut your trap and let us continue talking about Linux, that's what this thread is about. [/b][/quote]
I wasn't aiming at any of you guys, I was airing a personal experience Sorry if you felt offended.
Old 21-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You say to let you continue preferring Windows - have you ever tried Linux?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 22-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #14
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

OK! So how many of you are willing to buy Linux against Windows if it becomes commercial like Windows? Do you think then Linux would be able to survivie in the competition?
Old 22-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That's a bit of a non-question; there will always be open source Linux builds available, even if some are commercial - that's the point of the GNU.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 22-07-2005, 11:19 AM   #16
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you hate windows buy a Macintosh for feck sake!

Anyway, I have never tried Linux.

I get the impression that it is much harder to use for the average user, my mum can hardly handle normal windows

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 22-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #17
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Quote:
Originally posted by vipin@Jul 22 2005, 06:42 AM
OK! So how many of you are willing to buy Linux against Windows if it becomes commercial like Windows? Do you think then Linux would be able to survivie in the competition?
Linux is already commersial. Red Hat for example isn't free of cost (not the supported version) the same goes for Linspire, Xandros, Mandriva, Suse and the list goes on.

Some however are free of cost, but don't expect any support (on the other hand Windows doesn't have any support either, not free at least) aside from the community. Among the free ones we have Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware...

An installed version with Linux that has all the software set up is just as easy to use as Windows. But I don't see why anyone would switch when they're perfectly happy with Windows. If it works, don't fix it k:

For the others that are unhappy with Windows; buy a mac or install a Linux distribution.
Old 22-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #18
xoopx
Hero Gamer

i try linux from time to time and every time i have to spend hours fiddling with the config files and fighting to get my hardware to work right.
thats the biggest problem with it - you can learn the stuff you need to know, but if your hardware wont work with it, theres nothing you can do (except program your own drivers.. good luck with that)

its great for businesses and servers, and situations where people cant afford windows.
or for systems that you need to customize, etc.
its not really compelling for people who already have windows. just run antivirus and a firewall and dont use IE.. then security isnt an issue.
the best open source stuff is also available for windows.. i use openoffice, firefox, thunderbird, etc etc so theres no real reason to get linux
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 22-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #19
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx@Jul 22 2005, 06:27 PM
i try linux from time to time and every time i have to spend hours fiddling with the config files and fighting to get my hardware to work right.
thats the biggest problem with it - you can learn the stuff you need to know, but if your hardware wont work with it, theres nothing you can do (except program your own drivers.. good luck with that)

its great for businesses and servers, and situations where people cant afford windows.
its not really compelling for people who already have windows. just run antivirus and a firewall and dont use IE.. then security isnt an issue.
the best open source stuff is also available for windows.. i use openoffice, firefox, thunderbird, etc etc so theres no real reason to get linux
I installed Ubuntu on my brothers computer last X-mas and it autodetected all his hardware, even his Microsoft wireless keyboard. So you may have tried a distribution out of you league... but as I said, if Windows works for you then why switch? You've already paid like $150 for it so...
Old 22-07-2005, 11:15 PM   #20
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by MdaG+Jul 22 2005, 06:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MdaG @ Jul 22 2005, 06:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-xoopx@Jul 22 2005, 06:27 PM

I installed Ubuntu on my brothers computer last X-mas and it autodetected all his hardware, even his Microsoft wireless keyboard. So you may have tried a distribution out of you league... but as I said, if Windows works for you then why switch? You've already paid like $150 for it so... [/b][/quote]
LOL how is the distro not supporting my hardware me choosing one out of my league?
one person might get all their stuff autodetected (your brother), another person might get some things not working (me). thats the nature of P.C's.. the only thing you can rely on to support all your stuff is windows.

oh yeah, buying windows.. ehhehehe.. ahem. well i bought win95
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx