Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

I found it here:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4122624.stm
Please post back your comments.
Thanx
Old 25-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Yes, it is normal. I don't say "sadly" or "This is outrageous/lock them up/kill them all", becouse I'll be just unhonest. And I don't like being unhonest.
As stated in the article, people see it as a free source of programs and games, and not an economical threat. Especially teenagers and gamers like it very much, cuz they can enjoy games without blind-buying them. I mean, a demo is not the full game, it only shows very little of a game or program, and encourages you to buy it. There are no trial version games outside, or not the *great* ones.

If you enjoy playing the demo, that does not mean you'll enjoy the entire game, for example. I've played with the demo of Warcraft 3 before and I liked it, then me and my friend bought it, and the rest of the game was a c*ap, so to say. I've spent lotsa money for nothing...
And the free games are also very attractive for the kids, "Why buy a game from a store, when you can download it for free?" I'm not a big time leecher, never was or will be, but... don't say you never touched a ripped or pirated program in your life <_<

The next part of it, that teenagers nowdays are BORN in the pirate industry. They see downloading games/MP3s/movies as an everyday normal thing. Kids downloading games and stuff probably won't steal anything from a shop for instance. Or not becouse they are leechers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here for promoting piracy, but this is just a matter in wich almost nobody is spotless. I'm not denying myself, I used to get games from friends, but nowdays I'm not playing that much, and now I can actually buy the games I play. If I cannot afford a game, I just wait a few week until the price goes down to a reasonable level or just leave it. That's why I play classic games in the first place They are free, and legal

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 25-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
a1s
Hero Gamer

I'll tell you more, even when I bought games 95% of those were be pirated- I simply didn't have the money back then. now I tend to buy economy packages, but I no longer buy that many games (guess I've outgrown that)
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 25-06-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I agree with Playbahnosh.

I'd like to add another observation though.
Usually people don't see (or just don't care) that something is illegal if they don't fear the consequences. So if they don't fear they'd get caught - they won't care about it being illegal. So ntil some big rading actions to catch people who put stuff up, but also people for just downloading things - there will be no stop to it.
It's like with the traffic laws. Most people don't care about traffic laws - but they do fear a fine (so they'll only obey the laws to avoid paying a ticket - regarthless of their personal safety and everything). But if they fear it long enough it makes it a habit and they'll start obeying the law...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 25-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, for tha people who create it its outrageous, but for gamers (including me) it's heaven. Stating the fact that pirated games are everywhere, theyre cheaper and heck - it's the same frigin' game for crying out loud! Most of my games are licenced ones or pirated, my fault? Nope.
Countrys like mine get original's but x20 cost. We get "licenced" games, but what the f*ck do they do those mf+? They put them in russian or abhudabhicrap. All original have multi language options and most pirated (warez). So, the eyes of gamers are turned to piracy - which IS naturaly turning into a "normal" thing... :whistle:
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 25-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #6
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Completly agreed Sebatianos.

I add that, if there are no cops around, and you are sure of it (on country roads and the like) you WILL speed and do things you are not permitted normally. Just bacouse you want to be free. It is normal though, becouse nobody likes to be squeezed beetween rules.

And yes, the forces of justice just don't punish the small time leechers. They only go for the big ones. The problem is here!

A whole industry is built upon software piracy. An organised, well maintained and flawlessly contolled industry. The cracking and warez groups have some very strickt rules and laws that every one of them obeys. They even have a rule book of some sort, I remeber reading it somewhere on the net. They are not just a bunch of pesky kids who do small time crimes. Not anymore. The pirating industry is almost bigger than the gaming and software industry in general. And they are completely undercover and working in cell system. If the law catches a cell(a group or a warez center), the members really DON'T KNOW who are the others on the market becouse they are completly anonym. You walk by big time pirates on the street every day, and you wouln't know who is it. I happen to know an ex-pirate, who is the CEO of a big software company here in Hungary :whistle: He told me lotsa interesting facts about this stuff. He qutted it long time ago(5 years) and he has a decent job. And he HAD a decent well paying job back then too.

The thing is, there will be piraci as long as there are softwares. And everybody will download free stuff, just becouse they are free. All sotware security systems can be cracked, all hardware securities can be faked and there will be a market for it.

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 25-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I doubt anyone in my family cares..
My dad rents then copies DVDs, I know at least one of my uncles has pirate DVDs. We even watched a pirate DVD in school once :P
Old 25-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

@Play and Seb: even my mom does that. She'll go 5, 10 maybe 15 miles over the speed limit but when a police is parked at the corner or whatever its like SCREEEEEEEEECH.

The only thing that keeps people from breaking the law is the threat of consequences, such as paying a ticket or going to jail.

But hundreds of thousands of people download pirated files all the time, and the authorities dont have the time to devote to hunting them all down and fining them. They have more important things to do like rape or murder cases.

So the crime goes on.

And also, the only people who get affected by piracy ARE the moviemakers, artists and game makers. And nobody really notices them or cares about them in the backround.

Kinda sad.

Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 25-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
Danny252
I have a custom title!

uhh.. nah, I like my music and games. and Freefreddy. and my dad. and havell. and...
Old 25-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #10
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Indignus IV@Jun 25 2005, 08:58 PM

I got it! We'll become vigilantes and hunt them down personally! We'll turn pirates in to the law!
starnge as it may seem, normal people will hunt you if you do.
most people are completely sure that the Big coroprations (bettter yet- "big coroprations in america") won't feel the difference if you by countefeit copies, while they personaly would feel the differnce in prices, so pirates are the good guys (as your sig says- "greed works").
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s