Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-09-2007, 02:02 AM   #111
zokushi
Lurker

Arrow

I've been palying this game all night and it still makes hardly any sense to me. Fun besides I suppose. Got some good advice from reading all the posts in the thread : p Whoever came up with this game was sadistic though!

--Zokushi
zokushi is offline                         Send a private message to zokushi
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 AM   #112
Keith Jefferson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zokushi @ Sep 25 2007, 03:02 AM) [snapback]313028[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I've been palying this game all night and it still makes hardly any sense to me. Fun besides I suppose. Got some good advice from reading all the posts in the thread : p Whoever came up with this game was sadistic though!

--Zokushi
[/b]
One night? I was first exposed to Hack (one of the earliest PC ports) while I was a student at UCLA in the late 80's. Been playing all of the various versions of the game since then for over 20 years. I can't tell you how many times I've died, but I have beaten the game ... once. (As a Samurai)

The amzaing amount of content in this game is indescribeable. There just isn't anything like it, anywhere, period. The other cool thing about it is that it will run on just about any system you can think of. I've played Nethack on my old IBM Thinkpad (which doesn't have a good enough graphics card to play many "modern" games), on numerous Unix/Linux platforms, and on every PC I've ever owned since 1986. Starting with a wonderful XT Turbo "Clone" with a green screen all the way up to the AMD Athlon 64 3700+ I'm using right now with a 19" flatscreen. And no matter what ... you can adjust the configuration file to make it run beautifully.

Someone mentioned Falcon's Eye in an earlier thread. That's a nice alternatvie if you just HAVE to have graphics. But if you really get into the game, be sure to seek out more info (and war stories) on the official site and various usenet groups dedicated to the subject. You aren't alone by a long shot!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #113
alzaman

Surely the best game ever.

Very steep learning curve - you almost need a teacher. But it's utterly brilliant.

I've played it on and off for maybe 15 years. It never gets old.
alzaman is offline                         Send a private message to alzaman
Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #114
OBMiT
Forum hobbit

I've played Nethack alot, but I started out with this game called Rogue, which is quite similar, only black and white CGA graphics... Anyone know it?
OBMiT is offline                         Send a private message to OBMiT
Old 11-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #115
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

yeah, rogue was awesome game
Old 13-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #116
warispeace

Nethack is too hardcore for me. Even with the wishes cheat and infinite lives I still can't beat it. *sigh*

I still think it's fun but I've pretty much given up hope on beating it.
warispeace is offline                         Send a private message to warispeace
Old 14-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #117
blackboard
Forum hobbit

It is hard even in wizard mode, but once you know a few things (e.g., what to whish for...), it is possible to beat it.

The only thing that really annoys me is the "end-game", where you are constantly cursed by the wizard of yendor. Very unpleasant, and I did not found a good way to get rid of the curses.
blackboard is offline                         Send a private message to blackboard
Old 15-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #118
Spookyd

I used to play nethack a bit when I was a kid, I never got past maybe 5 or so dungeons but for some reason, the controls and stuff makes sense to me way more than other similar games (like mines of moria and rogue) How many levels/how long is nethack though, I know its huge but I never really understood how huge.
Spookyd is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyd
Old 15-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #119
souldog

pretty addicting game i m playing since hours :nuts:
but some commands dont seem to work for me.
Cant use C for call for example. and a few others wont work either.
Any ideas? :confused:
souldog is offline                         Send a private message to souldog
Old 15-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #120
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That's because Nethack is retarded and a lot of the commands are pointless.
Like the chat command for the most part. You just won't need to use some of them.

The pets are also totally pointless, unless you consider the random spaced out times they actually kill anything as a indicator of their usefulness.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy