Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > Specific games
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Marthos

When I run fallout in dosbox, it will start up, show a picture that says loading and then just go back to dosbox like nothing was loaded, it doesnt say anything or give any crash report.

Dosbox isnt crashing just the fallout game.
Marthos is offline                         Send a private message to Marthos
Old 29-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
rolos
Lurker

I tried to do the exact same thing on my Samsung Galaxy Ace about an hour ago, with the same results. Goes into the loading screen and then just back to command prompt in dos box.

The same folder structure worked fine in my PC dosbox.
rolos is offline                         Send a private message to rolos
Old 29-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I don't think Fallout was ever meant to be running on a mobile phone. DosBox emulates a lot, but not everything. The machine itself has to provide/support the right graphics resolution, which is 640x480 required for Fallout, and this is what a Samsung Galaxy Ace can not provide (having a vertical-shaped resolution of 320x480).
Some things simply aren't going to work where they don't belong to.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Hmm, interesting question... Try to set windowresolution=480x320 (or what is native for you) and output=[some hardware scaler]. It can shrink window on Windows, but of course I don't know what it will do on pad.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
foxea88

I would definitely recommend making a shortcut on the desktop to Dosbox, right clicking the shortcut and placing this in under target:

E:\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -userconf "C:\Program Files\GSP\fallout\fallout.exe"
Assuming you installed in the default location.

The same thing works for any exe, just point it to your "dos games exe"

As for my experience with Windows 7, I copied the 1.1 Dos files over (the only difference being the exe file). Downloaded and placed Dos4Gw in the folder - Modified the .conf and the .cfg as Nick said ...but had to delete the 2 .386 files and reboot the PC.

Then it worked a charm (no sound)
If I place the .386 files back in the folder it won't work.

Going to try it on my softmodded Xbox now (dosXbox) which was the whole point of me trying to get the Dos version anyway.

Why anyone running windows wants to use the Dos version... kind of baffles me :S
foxea88 is offline                         Send a private message to foxea88
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Well, on my XP system Windows version have very strange timings for fade in/fade out... But I am using it anyway.

Also, I think there is no any need to reboot PC after removing files.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The point is that the game was released 15 years ago, when Windows 95 was state of the art. There's no guarantee it will work right (if at all) on modern Windows versions and hardware setups. There's 100% guarantee it will work in DOSBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
foxea88

Sometimes when you run a program, things happen that you don't know about.. temporary files might be made.. things reside in memory ...I don't really know..

I was talking from my experience earlier... I done everything minus the 2 .386 files and the modifying of the conf file and cfg file. It kept going straight back to a screen as mentioned (black screen displaying C:/) after the loading screen.

That's when i found this site and thought wow there's other weirdo's out there playing old games lol - I modified the files and put the 2 .386 files in the folder as explained, then i was getting just a plain black screen. I then deleted the .386 files... black screen..
I tried to run windows version, LOCK UP. Reboot... then dos version again. Success.

I know for a fact the windows version of this game runs on XP Pro fine, you might have to right click the exe and muck around with the compatibility tab like most old games.

& Most games from about the 2000era I have been able to make simple mods to cfg files and get to run on 1440x900 widescreen... when widescreens weren't even out then = D with fallout it just takes one fan with some programming skills and bam, mods galore.

No luck with getting it working on DosXbox, intro vid runs quite smoothly, can select a character... next video comes on but real choppy then nothing... For some reason you can only select 16m memory max and I think it needs 32 I have all the old apogee games working + Wolf3D though
foxea88 is offline                         Send a private message to foxea88
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You can set up DOSBox to use anywhere up to 64 MB of RAM by editing the config file.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxea88 View Post
......Why anyone running windows wants to use the Dos version... kind of baffles me :S
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
The point is that the game was released 15 years ago, when Windows 95 was state of the art. There's no guarantee it will work right (if at all) on modern Windows versions and hardware setups. There's 100% guarantee it will work in DOSBox.
[Badmooded today]
What always baffles me is what peeps would try to get such game old game running directly on a modern OS.
You obviously have no idea how lucky you are that for example Win7 is smart enough to protect itself against dodgy programming.
Some of those old things would write anything everywhere, not to mention some came with 'adapted' or 'improved' *sigh* DLLs that would happily overwrite system files.
.... etcetera etcetera, add a long list here of possible catastrophic scenarios.

You obviously have no, but really no idea how much the structure of your modern OS has changed.

Ah well, at least you will be able to whine how bad windows is, and you will be able to nag how slow it becomes, and of course curse MS because you will need to reinstall windows ..... LMAO.
[/Badmooded today]

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider