Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
crusader1982

Default the one and only

ufo: enemy unknown
crusader1982 is offline                         Send a private message to crusader1982
Old 17-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
Suicide Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1982 View Post
ufo: enemy unknown
This. UFO is the finest game I've ever played.

I love turn-based tactical games, especially in modern or science fiction settings. Not only does UFO allow you to recruit, name, promote, and upgrade your soldiers, but they gain rank/experience, and the tactical aspect of the game is rich, interesting, and also quite deadly and challenging later on.

On top of that, the detection and interception management is fun, and the base management is complex and satisfying, as well as rewarding, translating into new technologies, vehicles and gear.

A winning formula, with classic graphics that are still truly eye-pleasing to me today.

-------------------------

That being said, the most nostalgic game for me is by far Wing Commander. My parents bought Wing Commander for me for Christmas in 1990, when I was eight years old, and I lived and breathed that game (as well as Wing Commander II and the expansions for both of them) for years afterward.

At church on Sunday? Dreaming about playing Wing Commander when I got home.

At school? Drawing pictures of Wing Commander ships, and even sneaking in the blueprints that came in the box to show my friends.

At home on weekends? Doing chores as swiftly as possible so that I could start playing Wing Commander.

The original launch sequence animation and music give me goosebumps to this day.
Suicide Boy is offline                         Send a private message to Suicide Boy
Old 24-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Best game, period: Ultima Underworld 1, hands down. For sims: TIE Fighter, hands down Those two are the best games I've ever played.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
FredrikRas
Lurker

Ocarina of Time
FredrikRas is offline                         Send a private message to FredrikRas
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #15
goomohn26

CivII!
goomohn26 is offline                         Send a private message to goomohn26
Old 02-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
Saccade
[BANNED]

Civ is one of my all-time faves. So many months of my adolescance was spent hunched over my PC late at night, ignoring schoolwork and girls...

Assassin's Creed, Deus Ex, Thief and Nonogrids are my favourite games atm.
And any SCUMM game.

[ed]
I just left this and though, "time for some Covert Action". How could I have forgotten you? My love...

Last edited by Saccade; 02-11-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 02-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Assassin's Creed could've been so much better than what it was. Great atmosphere, controls, graphics, attention to detail, and I enjoyed the combat system. But the Animus thing distracted from what would've been better as a straight open-world version of Prince of Persia. The missions were repetitive and boring and the assassinations could've been more involved. I think the combat and my general enjoyment of that style and history was what saved it for me. I liked fighting a half dozen guards at once, and the gruesome counterattacks never got old. I felt like Miyamoto Musashi. I hope they make things more interesting in the sequel. The game would be a lot better with some more character interaction and a LOT more variation in quests.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
Saccade
[BANNED]

( - :mad: + )
Nothing beats the fighting system in Assassin's Creed, but yr rite - the animus was slow and interrupted things.

They did kinda need it to have the plot, else it would've been like dynasty warriors or something...
Hopefully the second one will make up, even more, for the convuluted plot device.

Did you ever manage to get the flag in the temple? On the pillar with no apparant means of access? It's the only one I haven't got...
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 03-11-2009, 04:31 AM   #19
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

I didn't really put a lot of effort in flags. I have the PC version with no achievements so flags mean absolutely nothing. I think they should've gone a completely different direction with the plot. Like an open-world action/adventure game where you simply play as an assassin. Add in some RPG elements. Keep the platform and fighting elements and just flesh out the adventuring and character interaction.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 15-11-2009, 04:20 AM   #20
biotita
Lurker

well, about pc games, i loved playing Prince of Persia, Sokoban, tetris, pacman, Gods, dave&the hunted mansion, uff, i really enjoined....:thumbs:
biotita is offline                         Send a private message to biotita