Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #41
Jug Head

What a sensational game. God bless you, Abandonia.

Yeah, this game takes me back to those frosty mornings of '89 when I used to try and get a few goes in before school. I had Arkanoid II Revenge of Doh on the Atari 520ST - but I'm not sure if that download is available on this site.

Is it me, or are these mind-numbingly simple games way more addictive than virtually anything that we get nowadays? (Just read that back and realised that I just sound like an old, old man.) I've been playing this version for the past day, happily getting panned again and again at around level 10, although I really miss version II. The best thing about the sequel was the pink 'cheesecutter' block - that was so much fun, watching the ball slice through everything. Still, I get much joy from challenging my PC, the dubious descendant of the Atari; late at night we face off, and do battle in the ancient tradition (?). In true keeping with history, I never do very well.

Anyways, just wanted to pay my own personal tribute to this game. Keep up the good work Abandonia!

JH

Old 16-03-2006, 04:59 AM   #42

HEY, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PAUSE THIS GAME? i REMEMBER PLAYING IT WHEN I WAS LITTLE AND I WOULD LOVE TO DO SO AGAIN, BUT I DON'T SEEM TO HAVE THAT MUCH UNINTERRUPTED TIME, SO I NEED TO PAUSE EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. PLEASE HELP!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #43
lenninkynan

:whistle: I don't know if it is a case of muscle memory but Arkanoid is a breeze for me. I first played it as an arcade game at a pizzeria on my birthday and i put in close to $40 worth of quarters that night. I later played the game and Arkanoid Revenge of Doh at my nephews in the late 80's on the family pc. Arkanoid on the pc was a challenge for awhile but Revenge of Doh is much harder. The background on each level is in several colors with patterns that make it much more difficult to pick up the image of the ball. Also, the levels were much more challenging than the original Arkanoid. I bring this up because I purchased a floppy disk of Revenge of Doh that a friend burned to a cd for me. My computer is a toshiba laptop that uses dial up to connect to the internet. It would be my pleasure to donate this game to abandonia so that others could have the frustrating joy to tackle Arkanoid-Revenge of Doh. Are these floppy disks for the original game by Taito have some security that doesn't allow these games to be downloaded to other people or sites? How does a person download the game to Abandonia and because i am on dialup, how long would it take?

A tip to players......take advantage of your excellent hand/eye co-ordination to try and hit the ball on the pointed edges of the paddle so that the ball deflects on extreme angles to the sides so as to give you extra time to collect the dropping power bricks, to relax, and most importantly, many of the levels are best defeated by using that tactic.

I had problems setting up Dosbox and when I downloaded the test game i was unsuccessful. Also, on the final page of the tutorial, I've had problems. Nonetheless, I decided to download arkanoid and operation wolf and both successfully started up. I too don't have a pause capability which means I lose the game when the phone rings (which sucks when you've invested time deep into the game), nor do I have the music. Is this typical for others?
lenninkynan is offline                         Send a private message to lenninkynan
Old 09-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #44
fuck you

my computer is crashedddd....

Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #45
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Happens right to you, with this attitude...
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #46
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

er..pure guess: he was using windows 98, went to 'msdos' mode when running the game and it gave him option to do so, then didnt know how to quit the game, restarted it, but in his autoexec.bat there still stayed arcanoid, so he messed with it and now it completely doesnt work. just a guess
Old 17-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #47
hn@dadlnet.dk

I loved to play arkanoid back in 89 and thanks to Abandonia and Dosbox I have it up running again (PC version).....I've kept the old file on floppys and it still works, similar to the downloadable file.
I haven't conquered the Doh recently thou, seemed to be easier in the old days. Its not just my reflexes getting slower; I miss the black powerups!!

Please help me here: It seems to me that beside the various colored powerups, the game occasionally offers black powerups (additional lives or crafts) or purple ones (shortcuts to next level). I'm not sure I've ever played a game with both purple and black powerups. And my recent installs doesn't offer any black ones at all. Which makes much more hard to end the game. Why is this so?
hn@dadlnet.dk is offline                         Send a private message to hn@dadlnet.dk
Old 19-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #48
hn@dadlnet.dk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hendrix @ Jul 18 2007, 12:31 AM) [snapback]299974[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I loved to play arkanoid back in 89 and thanks to Abandonia and Dosbox I have it up running again (PC version).....I've kept the old file on floppys and it still works, similar to the downloadable file.
I haven't conquered the Doh recently thou, seemed to be easier in the old days. Its not just my reflexes getting slower; I miss the black powerups!!

Please help me here: It seems to me that beside the various colored powerups, the game occasionally offers black powerups (additional lives or crafts) or purple ones (shortcuts to next level). I'm not sure I've ever played a game with both purple and black powerups. And my recent installs doesn't offer any black ones at all. Which makes much more hard to end the game. Why is this so?
[/b]
:w00t: Solved it: It is when you reduce CPU Cycles to 2499 or 1734, that the black powerups disappear from the game. Strange.
hn@dadlnet.dk is offline                         Send a private message to hn@dadlnet.dk
Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #49
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

well decreasing cycles makes mine a bit choppy. :-( so i leave it as it is. only it is a bit fast...

I wonder why game seems to crash every once in a while. i simply can not do anything. any key i press there is no response. so i have to kill the process. but interestingly enough it doesn't always happen.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #50
Mousazz
Game freak

finished the game :nuts:. Not bad actually :amused:, IF you have a mouse :confused:.
Mousazz is offline                         Send a private message to Mousazz