Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
Juanca
Eternal Player

Question a safe way to benefit from Torrents?

this topic came from a question a member asked me.....and i found it interesting to know about.

I used to have bit-comet and had very good experiences with it....
but then i stopped to use it because I read many thigns about security and viruses and malware.
Is there any safe way to use torrents and benefit from them, is a torrent provider safer than another (bit comet, or bit torrent or etc?)

PD: IF this topic is a "Tabu" or "politically incorrect" to have it here please erase it and accept my apologies:rulez:
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 16-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

uh wow.. hard to start explaining your misconception of torrents, i believe somebody else will do the good job

i will just say that there are no security measures and viruses going through your "torrents", unless you download them for yourself

and why tabu, torrents are normal file transfer method such as http or ftp, it doesn't have to be used for illegal filesharing
Old 16-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
uh wow.. hard to start explaining your misconception of torrents, i believe somebody else will do the good job

i will just say that there are no security measures and viruses going through your "torrents", unless you download them for yourself

and why tabu, torrents are normal file transfer method such as http or ftp, it doesn't have to be used for illegal filesharing
sorry for my misconception R.u.s.s. and i must admit That i am completely illiterate about the matter
What i have done so far is to run a small program called bit-comet (wich looks like a browser to me) and downloaded huge files after configuring all the program thanks to a guide. Even tough i have understood all that i was doing, i am not an expert and certainly i do not know the technical words for each thing on this topic. I did successfully some downloads at a very good speed rate (really amazing!!) and never had any of the commmon problems people had. I never even had any problem of viruses or malware.

but then i read some articles against all this and the scurity flaws and then i unsintalled all that stuff.

but anyway I think you understood.

I was asking about tabu, not because of the torrent itself (as you explain it in a very legal and beautifull way) but for what it is related usually (warez, piracy, etc..). and you never know.....

So maybe the question on this topic should be:
Any tips for a safe experience on the "torrent file transfer method". is there any difference with the other methods (http or ftp ) that would make it more or less vulnearble to security?
Sri Aurobindo

Last edited by Juanca; 16-09-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 16-09-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

First of all, don't grab a torrent that has just been uploaded to a public tracker. Malware and fakes are frequent problems there. Wait until a few other people have downloaded it first, and check if they left any complaints.

As for security flaws, do you think Windows doesn't have any?

Quote:
Any tips for a safe experience on the "torrent file transfer method". is there any difference with the other methods (http or ftp ) that would make it more or less vulnearble to security?
Don't download the latest 0-days unless you're on a trusted - this means PRIVATE - tracker. Use protocol encryption. Don't use default ports.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
First of all, don't grab a torrent that has just been uploaded to a public tracker. Malware and fakes are frequent problems there. Wait until a few other people have downloaded it first, and check if they left any complaints.

As for security flaws, do you think Windows doesn't have any?

Don't download the latest 0-days unless you're on a trusted - this means PRIVATE - tracker. Use protocol encryption. Don't use default ports.
Got it! for the recent torrents and I always felt like this when i tried it in the past.
What is protocol encryption and how do i do it. Does this have to do with the firewall?
And what do you mean by "default ports", how do i change them?

Now, I have used in the past Bitcomet and had a good experience with it.
I did a little search and find out that the most popular software for torrent are
bitcomet
bittorrent and utorrent

i don see much difference between the last two programs but there must be a big difference with the first one (i mean the first one is 5 megs and the last ones are less than 1 meg)
what is the main difference?
Which one would you recommend? and why against the others?
Sri Aurobindo
Old 16-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
What is protocol encryption and how do i do it. Does this have to do with the firewall?
And what do you mean by "default ports", how do i change them?
Both are in your client program's settings somewhere.

Quote:
i don see much difference between the last two programs but there must be a big difference with the first one (i mean the first one is 5 megs and the last ones are less than 1 meg)
what is the main difference?
Which one would you recommend? and why against the others?
*shrug* uTorrent works fine for me, never tried other clients. Ain't broken don't fix it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Closed Thread