Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Invalid Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #51
oldskoolgamer

Exclamation

Wow. Your reply indicates that this site is in far worse shape than is generally known (or at least was known to me). Whole structure seems to be just one big fragile mess, probably as a result of patchwork done hurriedly over time. Unfortunate that this is the situation but I suppose unless there is interest and investment (time, money, effort) by the site owner himself there's no way things can improve. Considering all this I guess you mods are doing the best job possible. In fact, it's a wonder you're still hanging around here despite everything! Guess you must really love the place.
oldskoolgamer is offline                         Send a private message to oldskoolgamer
Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #52
Japo
Autonomous human

The situation is quite shitty in many regards, but the website is still up as the biggest aw place, while many others have disappeared due to lack of money or interest... So it could still be worse.

Right now I have to take a look at the MK games and try to be consistent. The ones that are different enough to GOG sales can stay until someone asks otherwise. The ones that are more or less direct ports I will disable for the sake of caution.
EDIT: I've removed the ISO Cellar and floppy version extras from the games sold by GOG (MK 1-3). Everything else looks OK to me.

We remove content on due request of course, but we also have our own elaborate rules by default. These were devised over the years, and believe it or not at one point many years ago an actual official of the Nazi ESA contacted by one of the admins was OK with them.

One of the points where our rules are so far less than perfectly clear is when the status of one title may affect the status of another title which is some kind of version of port.

In any case one clear rule is that we remove on our own (without being asked) games as soon as we are aware that it's being sold by a legitimate re-seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolgamer View Post
if one wants to be a stickler for the law then so-called 'abandonware' is still under copyright and the copies of non-free games on the site are all illegal and pirated.
We have been always perfectly aware of this. Abandonware just means tolerated piracy, if anything.

Quote:
Right, so first and foremost, was GoG making a simple polite request or demanding a takedown on legal grounds, i.e. with a DMCA notice? There is a difference, you know, again since GoG is not the copyright holder for the game.
The email was not from GOG but from the new copyright holder who has now licensed GOG. It was quite friendly in fact, not even a formal cease request or anything.

I can share many qualms about current copyright law, but we don't make the laws, we just get to obey them.

Quote:
I can see you guys want to be extra careful, but the reaction of the mod as you yourself stated was ridiculously way over the top. Why would he delete everything associated with the game, including its review?
The Abovo employee nuked the database entry (leaving dangling foreign keys all over the place) instead of properly disabling the download, because Abovo doesn't really know or care how the website works (poorly in fact); we do that maintenance work for them, which is a hundred times harder than it should be because of the back-end structure, which they don't care to fix if it costs a cent, and they wouldn't be convinced to let us touch it either.

Anyway I've agreed with Abovo that next time I will also get these emails and will take care of them properly.

Last edited by Japo; 03-10-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 03-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #53
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Good on you, Japo

It's not really even a system. It's a giant epic fail full of bugs and interestingly borked subroutines, but if it didn't have a few dedicated staff members (not Abovo, because screw Abovo) this place would have died a long time ago.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 03-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #54
oldskoolgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Right now I have to take a look at the MK games and try to be consistent. The ones that are different enough to GOG sales can stay until someone asks otherwise. The ones that are more or less direct ports I will disable for the sake of caution.
Ok, so don't mean to harp on it but finally, what's the verdict regarding the Windows version of MK3?

Quote:
EDIT: I've removed the ISO Cellar and floppy version extras from the games sold by GOG (MK 1-3). Everything else looks OK to me.
Might as well remove these too while you're at it to avoid confusion:

oldskoolgamer is offline                         Send a private message to oldskoolgamer
Old 03-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #55
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Ok, so don't mean to harp on it but finally, what's the verdict regarding the Windows version of MK3?
I'm afraid I must do the same as Mobygames and consider them ports of the same game, :-( even if the software is quite different.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #56
oldskoolgamer

Quote:
I'm afraid I must do the same as Mobygames and consider them ports of the same game, :-( even if the software is quite different.
Thanks anyway.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #57
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Considering all this I guess you mods are doing the best job possible. In fact, it's a wonder you're still hanging around here despite everything! Guess you must really love the place.
Thank you for understanding.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #58
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

I'm just here for the peeps. I resigned as a mod a long time ago.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 05-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #59
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just to be sure: MK trilogy and MK4 can stay in ISO Cellar?

Also, can I just remove these links from review pages as oldskoolgamer suggested by editing reviews or that will break translation nodes? I need to do that workaround with opening all translations and then change english version and save all transaltions again?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 05-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #60
Japo
Autonomous human

MK Trilogy and 4 can stay as long as the information on their request threads is current... We have whole review pages for them, not just the ISO Cellar links.

The tag bug still exists, as far as I know. Not that I've recently tested it, since it would mean purposely erasing tags. That workaround is the only one I know. But here Spectre is the expert.