Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #391
weaverka

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skipjack @ Jan 3 2007, 06:31 AM) [snapback]273096[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You dont need a crack to play the game! I had once an introduction how to play without the cd, but i lost it.
I'll try to explain:
You only need the 3 COB files which are on the cd. When you download the game here, you get them with the game. Then you have to change a file where the information is stored where the ascend.exe can find this COB-files. You have to change this file (I think its the ascend.cfg) and say where the new COB-files are now. They arent anymore on a cd, now they are on your hdd.
DUnno if this can help you. But make sure you have this files in your ascendancy directory: Ascend00.COB, Ascend01.COB, Ascend02.COB . You need them if you havnt got a cd.
[/b]

Any one know of a download site that works, I still can't get this game to work with dosbox or with out. I found a download on another site but it had no intall function once I unziped it. I have the cd but my computer crashes or rather the video driver crashes when I try to start the program. This is very frustrating trying to get this game to work!! Please help.
weaverka is offline                         Send a private message to weaverka
Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #392
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Without knowing what you have exactly done and what specifically is the problem, we cannot help you.
Until you post more detailed information about your problem, I can only refer you to this FAQ.

Please post a more detailed description of your problem including any and all error messages you encountered.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #393
weaverka

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 12 2007, 05:18 AM) [snapback]274516[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Without knowing what you have exactly done and what specifically is the problem, we cannot help you.
Until you post more detailed information about your problem, I can only refer you to this FAQ.

Please post a more detailed description of your problem including any and all error messages you encountered.
[/b]

Thanks this should help, dosbox would not recognize my cdrom. I will try this later today to see if it works.

you are awsome thanks. It finally works.
weaverka is offline                         Send a private message to weaverka
Old 14-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #394
Guest_lol_*

this game is FCUKING easy, but nevertheless fun to play

just focus on research, as soon as u get the "akkutron?!" whatever, if turned on u increases the distance ur weapons can shoot...research the best energythingys and some nice engines
well and...i dont know the names of the weapons in english...but one is big n called hypersomething,(2ndbest)
the best one though nano something, useing that one 2gether with akkutron man...u r invincible (cuz the cpu player is just stupid building their plantes, equipping their ships etc...)

for planetary defenes u just nee dlong range whopper n big shielp and enemys dont stand a chance just cuz they act tooo stupid in fight...

hf

Old 15-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #395
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Well... I think it's always as easy as you make it.
Did you ever have six or seven com-players? Then you're really into politics. Especially when you have to deal with a agressive or stubborn race.

Give it a try... k:
Old 15-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #396
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Sorry to break it to you Icewolf, but if you are into politics then you are going to the loser side. The AIs are going to attack you eventually no matter what you do (especially with the patch), and whatever happen if you don't have a good defense then you're toast. If you have a good offense, you'll win. That's how the game is meant to be played... And since the computer AI is so incredibly weak in this game, as soon as you can take a big enough advance in tech and power you are sure to win the game. Just keep bashing until you win.

Ascendency is one of my favorite game for it's originality... But I class it sore loser at the last position for challenge and AI strenght.

If you want a real challenge, go play MOO, Civilization or way better yet, Stars!.
Old 15-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #397
Cosmonaut_Roger
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Jan 15 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]275006[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Sorry to break it to you Icewolf, but if you are into politics then you are going to the loser side. The AIs are going to attack you eventually no matter what you do (especially with the patch), and whatever happen if you don't have a good defense then you're toast. If you have a good offense, you'll win. That's how the game is meant to be played... And since the computer AI is so incredibly weak in this game, as soon as you can take a big enough advance in tech and power you are sure to win the game. Just keep bashing until you win.

Ascendency is one of my favorite game for it's originality... But I class it sore loser at the last position for challenge and AI strenght.

If you want a real challenge, go play MOO, Civilization or way better yet, Stars!.
[/b]
I'm afraid Eagle is right about this. I've played literally hundreds of Ascendancy games ranging from small to huge galaxies with and without the antagonizer patch set to peaceful to hostile and you will always end up at war with the other aliens unless you are the Balifids which can force other species to make peace. If you use the antagonizer AI patch (which I don't recommend), you will be at war with each new alien species you meet only a few turns after you meet them, even when the galaxy is set to peaceful. Ascendancy is my favorite game of all time, and the last game I played of it was Wednesday of last week, but it is very weak in the diplomacy department. Here's what I do to have an enjoyable game of Ascendancy:

Let 500-1000 turns go by before you even begin to colonize other planets or research advanced technologies. Let the other species get a big head start, so they have more advanced weapons and ships than you when you begin expanding. This way, at least the first 3/4 of the game will be challenging and interesting.
Cosmonaut_Roger is offline                         Send a private message to Cosmonaut_Roger
Old 18-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #398

Hey,
I have a big problem in the game, maybe one of you can help me. I´ve played ascendancy when I was a child and found it last week again. But here is the problem: I can´t build bigger ships than small ones (or I don´t know how to do it), even I have the technology to build gigantic ships. So the game is definitely more challenging if you have only small ships and the computer large ones, but I like it if I have enormous ships and overrun stupid computer

Old 19-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #399

I solved the problem by myself. Something was wrong with the game, after restarting everything was fine.

Old 30-01-2007, 02:43 AM   #400
A

Namaste all,

Like the site!

I've read the whole thread and thought i should share an observation i haven't read...

if you save your game the day before a xeno-archeological dig is completed, if you dont like what you get, or have your eye on some tasty morsel of research far far away, most times you reload the game a different technology awaits. Great 'bug'.

I'm about to install the 'smart' patch, wish me luck.

Farewell