Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #101
karaponga

very good game.

Old 14-07-2006, 01:17 AM   #102
Big D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Feb 17 2006, 04:14 AM) [snapback]208011[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Wacht out the weather, planes cant fire with rain and other conditions :bleh:
[/b]

Are we sure this chap is not trying to attack with 1- airbourne infantry/paratroopers 2- a tac bomber that does not offer air to air attack (note the brackets in the stats bit)?

Old 14-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #103

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Privateer @ Jun 20 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]237980[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
A light tank coping with a dug up infantry? How? Remember, although infantry is represented by a single unit here, it doesn't mean that every soldier in that unit has just a rifle. Infantry units of that size would definitely have anti-tank teams (Bazooka for US or Panzershreik for German). Even earliest infantry had anti-tank grenades and mines. That's why they get a 1 or 2 in Heavy Attack: they CAN shoot back, just not very good at it. So if the attacking tanks are weak or caught in a bad position, they can and will be destroyed. If the infantry is heavily entrenched and built anti-tank defences, I can't imagine light tanks displacing them. In the open, it's another matter, and the game reflects that.

I've also done very well against cavalry with the earliest German tanks, so long as it is in the open. Of course, if the cavalry is entrenched in a city, it'd be suicidal to go there. WWII cavalry was basicly infantry anyway, they just used horses for quick mobility.
[/b]

The cavalry (only a few nations have it) in the game is probably only cavalry by name - probably nothing to do with horses, but mechanised.

Old 14-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #104
Big D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jorev @ Apr 8 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]220476[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I remember this game having actor voiceovers reading the scenario introductions, but the download from this site doesn't seem to include those?
[/b]

Just one actor, I think? And his fake German accent was an embarrassment to all.

Old 14-07-2006, 01:30 AM   #105

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(General @ Oct 19 2005, 06:02 PM) [snapback]170084[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
No it doesn't. It requires Win95 (I couldn't run it in WinXP either). That's why I have a dual boot with WinME as the second option (just because of this great game: Allied General).
[/b]

I run Allied General with XP and my normal colour range.

Old 14-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #106

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ May 7 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]229211[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by gamer D@May 7 2006, 02:44 PM
Also, if you strat bomb somewhere enough, it can 'forget' which power it belongs to.
I didn't know it, how curious. Convincing people that it will suit themselves better to do your will by means of violence is called terrorism, you know. It was widely used during WW2, first by Germany and then by Britain and the USA. But hey, this is just a game, so slaughter on.

Quote:
Any ideas not mentioned in these pages?[/b]
Read the manual. This game is great at simulating what would happen in actual warfare. You've go to use the proper unit type for each task and you can't rely on just a couple of types.

For example, just like the manual says, armoured units are the most powerful and the most well protected, so they're the best suited to take offensive risks and not to end up beaten. But still, it's foolish to attack entrenched infantry with armour, the latter *will* end up beaten and the former will come with flying colours out of the combat.

I haven't read the whole thread so please excuse if I've repeated something.

EDIT: In case somebody considered my comments about terrorism biased, as if only Germany, Britain and the USA had used it, I was talking only about mass aerial bombings. The USSR used chiefly more conventional terrorism, the Red Army killed (and raped) thousands of Germans, ethnically cleansing them from thousands or squared kilometres of pre-war Germany, territories which passed to Polish and Russian sovereignty (I'm not talking about East Germany but about even more eastern lands).
[/b]
-----
Actually, I just wondered what you were banging on about! And why you quoted me, then talked about a whole load of other guff.

Gamer D

Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #107

Still one of my fave games of all time, along with some other classic old games like Master Of Orion 1 and Steel Panthers 1. Although I've done the full campaign 100's of times over the years, I still start this game up every 12 months or so, it's hypnotizing. I prefer PG#1 to the second and 3rd versions, it just seems cleaner, and the graphics were good for their time and not bad looking even today. I like the DOS version better but the windows version works more easily in XP, the DOS version usually requires some kind of slowdown application to prevent hyper fast scrolling.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #108

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 14 2006, 01:20 AM) [snapback]243211[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Privateer @ Jun 20 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]237980[/snapback]
Quote:
A light tank coping with a dug up infantry? How? Remember, although infantry is represented by a single unit here, it doesn't mean that every soldier in that unit has just a rifle. Infantry units of that size would definitely have anti-tank teams (Bazooka for US or Panzershreik for German). Even earliest infantry had anti-tank grenades and mines. That's why they get a 1 or 2 in Heavy Attack: they CAN shoot back, just not very good at it. So if the attacking tanks are weak or caught in a bad position, they can and will be destroyed. If the infantry is heavily entrenched and built anti-tank defences, I can't imagine light tanks displacing them. In the open, it's another matter, and the game reflects that.

I've also done very well against cavalry with the earliest German tanks, so long as it is in the open. Of course, if the cavalry is entrenched in a city, it'd be suicidal to go there. WWII cavalry was basicly infantry anyway, they just used horses for quick mobility.
[/b]

The cavalry (only a few nations have it) in the game is probably only cavalry by name - probably nothing to do with horses, but mechanised.
[/b][/quote]

No, it's the old-fashioned cavalry. With horses. Mechanised infantry (the Germans used them a lot) is represented by the armoured transports you can add to infantry.
The Poles and Russians for example still had cavalry when WWII started. They used their horses for better mobility. They were quickly outdated by the German mechanised infantry.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #109

Panzer General. Fantastic game! Got me hooked on strategy games and I still like to play it.

Here are a few tips:
*Often there's one objective city on the map wich is very far away or simply not on the route of your attack. This is the reason I often used paratroopers. Upgrade 3 experienced infantry units to para's. When placing your units, place them in air transports. Fly them to that distant objective city (offcourse, you will need to send an experienced fighter with long range along to provide fighter cover! Also, watch out for AA guns) and paradrop them out of their transports. You will often see that the objective is left almost undefended and your para's will be able to take it. This can be the difference between a minor or a major victory, because when you don't use para's, by the time your ground forces arive at the objective it will be well defended. You can even embark AT guns and I belive some artillery in planes, conquer an airfield and fly them in.

*Level bombers are useful, mainly for softening up entrenched infantry in cities and to attack ships (they can really help bring supremacy at sea, quickly allowing your big naval guns to support your ground troops!). However, you will often be provided level bombers at the start of each level, so don't add more than one to your core units. Build tactical bombers instead. You'll need them against enemy artillery and those annoyingly powerful Russian tanks...

*I never use AA guns. Altough the're much cheaper than fighters, they're not that mobile and cannot give fighter cover to bombers. Just build fighters, and let them gain experience, your German fighters will be more than a match for any Allied fighter.

*I never use AT guns. If you we're defending, they would be great, but they're just not useful in a fast attack. However, mobile AT guns are useful, you'll need them against the powerful Russian tanks.

*Naval battles are all about the first shot. First, move all you're ships to one point, so that they can act as one fleet. Then, make sure YOU get the first shot at the enemy ships. Take out their biggest, most powerful ships first. Use submarines to sneak behind the destroyer screens and attack the big capital ships as well. If you've destroyed all his big guns and still have heavy cruisers or battleships, you will easily sink his destroyers.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 AM   #110
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Well, naval is a little harder, they always got the upper hand, better units and better positions. You must chose to withdraw your naval and be under heavy naval fire in first quarter and maybe can give some support to ground forces in last one. Or fight a losing battle in seas to prevent their military to got naval support.

About paradrops, i love that tactic of take the last objetive with them, anyway send artillery is too risky coz you can got 2-5 paratrooper units and can be attacked from everyside. Better to send some fighters and Tac bombers as support.
Never used AT guns but they can do fine to hold an early taked Moscow.

AT and AA guns may be usefull if you are in a defensive campaign. They are cheap and the movility is a lux for a german unit in 43´. Green infantry cant hold even an small tank, AA is also cheaper but also add units to the line.