Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #21
N17R0
Abandonia nerd

I'd probably play it a lot more if my old joystick worked. That made the game a heck of a lot easier. I just tried to do it with mouse and keyboard and it is quite disorienting.
N17R0 is offline                         Send a private message to N17R0
Old 12-12-2004, 04:16 AM   #22
cheesegrater
Game freak

How do you play with the mouse? I gotta use all keyboard. The game works in XP!
Old 12-12-2004, 07:18 AM   #23
FreeFreddy

With the mouse? Not really recommendable, as it's pretty crappy to steer with it. But you should be able to set the steering device somewhere in the options in the main menu.
And btw., yes, it works in Windows XP. But isn't it so fast that you even cannot move or shoot reasonable? As for me, it's so fast that it's unplayable at all, I cannot hit the robots or move reasonable without hitting walls all the time...

Old 12-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #24
cheesegrater
Game freak

In XP it works perfect for me. When I try to change to mouse it doesn't let me. Using mouse is way better than all keyboard. I also have no joystick. I fly all flightsims with a mouse.
Old 28-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #25
WolverineDK

since the descent 1 and 2 source code is out (and open source under GPL if i remember right) i think you can get a win32 starter from here

D1Source project

Old 09-01-2005, 06:05 AM   #26
Anonymous

http://d1x.warpcore.org/
Offers a greatly enhanced open-source Descent 1 exe to run the game with

Download D1X OpenGL
The link above will download an OpenGL version of D1X.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #27
No One

Mwa! Despite the fact that I tended to get lost (reading that map was HELL, I tell you!) I loved Descent and all it's successors. I still have the expansion, as well as Descent 2, and 3.

Old 19-01-2005, 01:17 AM   #28
Solvent

This game works fine in Windows 98 for me. Didn't have to change or alter anything.

I think this game's great. Maybe a little repetitive, but the level designs are so twisted and interesting. The way there is no 'up' just blows my mind... Okay, that's the floor, fly up a hole in the ceiling, okay, now that's the floor... Fantastic!

Old 03-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #29
Gareth

Just downloading this game now, ahh what a classic, I can still remember playing this in highschool on Kali, used to be ladder competitions and everything, it was cool.

Old 14-02-2005, 04:51 AM   #30
Y2kovu

A friend showed me this site this afternoon, and the first thing that jumped out at me bigtime was this game. That said, I have just spent the last 45 minutes re-immersing myself in the game, and agitating the pizza I had for dinner in the process.

One of the things I was never able to do was use the "true 3d" visors/glasses/etc. that Descent supported in what I felt to be some of the best forward-thinking by a programming team to date then, and even now to a degree--nobody had 3d like that back then. Something I'm curious about is if it's possible to run this classic with them now, either with or without the new launcher (the hi-res one linked to several times in this thread). Anyone hear anything about if that's doable, or better yet, have first-hand experience?

Might be worth a look-up on eBay if nothing else.

--Y2