Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-08-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

Please note: this post refers to version 1.0, not version 1.1. Go down for updated info.

Download Time Streamer 1.1

As the title says, this is my batch file game that I started working on last year. I recently finished it and debugged it as best I could. This game was programmed entirely in Windows NT batch scripting. The point of this gimmicky exercise was not to make a "great game" but to make a game with a toolset that isn't designed for it. As far as I know this is the only batch file game in existence!

See README.TXT for technical ntoes.

Time Streamer may remind you of a BBS style door game from the late 80's, early 90's. Playing through the game takes about an hour. The game is inspired around the story/myth of John Titor (a time traveler) who supposedly came to this world timeline to obtain an IBM 5100 for his world timeline in 2036. For more info check out the README.TXT

Time Streamer features:

- Randomized Combat System with Random Enemy Encounters
- Sound Effects
- RPG style Level Gains (/w new skills each level...really)
- ANSI colors graphics
- Sci-Fi storyline with some humorous undertones
- Selectable Weapons and "Shrines"
- NPCs (you can interact with/talk to)

System Requirements:

Windows XP

Because the code utilizes functions specific to XP it likely won't work in 98, Me or even 2000. But XP2 should be fine (I've tested this). Vista may also work, but don't count on it.

Click "Shortcut to TIMESTREAMER" to run.

You can also click on TS.CMD to run, or type TS from the command line.

My thoughts on the game itself: I've played it quite a bit, and I really like it, though it's obviously quite primitive. It mainly borrows from a cross-section of older games, not trying to immitate anything in particular. I really had fun in making it, but it was Hard to do. It came out better that I thought and I'm satisfied with the end result.

The version I'm linking to here is suppose to be complete. However, there is obviously room for improvemt. If you have problems running it, or notice some bugs, please let me know. Although I tested it extensively, I'm sure there's bound to be something I missed.

Just to let you know, the game is perfectly safe to run (to the best of my knowledge anyway). It stays within the directory it's run and doesn't modify any files other than those that come with it or that it creates.

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts on it. No one has played it yet.

Last edited by Gargantuan Orangutan; 02-03-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Gargantuan Orangutan is offline                         Send a private message to Gargantuan Orangutan
Old 22-08-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Gave it a short try in Vista, no probs.

Yay, I killed a CP/M-99android.
I wanna cookie now.

Pretty good game.

No cookies. :/

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 22-08-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

Cool! Thanks for the feedback on Vista.
Gargantuan Orangutan is offline                         Send a private message to Gargantuan Orangutan
Old 22-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Little update:
W98SE-WME : doesn't work as expected. But it should be possible to make it work I think, I thought I saw somewhere an added NT CMD functionality for W98/ME ..... nevermind.(Who's still on W98/ME anyway).

Good news however:
Works fine in W2K pro sp4.
The shortcut isn't working in W2K as the Win dir is by default WINNT instead of Windows.
So you must edit the shortcut or simply double click on TS.CMD in the timestreamer folder.
Runs of course also nicely in XPsp2.

Doesn't recognise my country settings in W2K. Weird, but the game itself works fine.

*Edit
Not only I didn't get a cookie after killing that CP/M android, but in the next gamerun I ran twice in short time into such @#|@# android and died. :/

*Edit²
Doesn't run on my son's Vista, game closes when sound is accessed,can't find 'soundrec'. He has such new realtek HighQuality onboard chip. Mine is an old one(AC97).

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 22-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

Awesome, thanks for the extra info.

I don't think it'll ever work in Win98/ME simply because it uses extensions and script functions that weren't available in those OSs. It would have to be severely rewritten (and it may not work as it should).

I'm glad that it appears to work on differing variants of NT. I can see about making some adjustments, for a "patched" version, but I'm happy to see that these bugs are fairly minor.

Depending upon how much interest there is (probably not much! heh) I can always try and update it fully to Vista later.

BTW, that CP/M android is actually quite difficult. He has the most lifepoints, moves fast and hits hard. You should try to be lvl2 or lvl3 when facing him, and if you drop below 6 lifepoints it's usually best to [D]efend and [R]un away.
Old 13-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
So9
Forum hobbit

hi,

there's another batch-file-game

Look at MobyGames (IJan's Entry)

Bye

So9

So9 is offline                         Send a private message to So9
Old 17-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

Haha. Nice, thanks.

Here's another (probably a lot smaller):
http://www.infionline.net/~wtnewton/batch/batlife.htm
Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 AM   #8
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

Default Time Streamer 1.1

I'm done. This is the "final" version of Time Streamer.

DOWNLOAD

For those that have played it before, this is a major update. For those that haven't played it, this is most likely the "final" version.

Here's an updated recap of what Time Streamer is:

Quote:
Time Streamer may remind you of a BBS style door game from the late 80's, early 90's. Playing through the game takes about 1-2 hours. The game is inspired around the story/myth of John Titor (a time traveler) who supposedly came to this world timeline to obtain an IBM 5100 for his world timeline in 2036.

Difficulty: hard

Time Streamer features:

- Fully Randomized Combat System with Random Enemy Encounters
- Sound Effects
- RPG style Level Gains (/w new skills each level; 6 skills total, 8 levels total)
- ANSI style color graphics
- Sci-Fi storyline with some humorous undertones
- Selectable Weapons and "Shrines"
- NPCs (you can interact with/talk to)
- Randomized powerup/drop system
- Overall, what I might call a fairly advanced "text-based tactical engine"

System Requirements:

(Windows XP)

Because the code utilizes functions specific to XP it likely won't work in 98 or WinMe.
Quote:
This game was programmed entirely in Windows NT batch scripting. The point
of this gimmicky exercise was not to make a "great game" but to _make a game_
with a toolset that isn't designed for it. As far as I know, there is no other
batch file games this elaborate and complex, much less a real game at all. I tend to
think this is a major leap in batch file game programming, and a fun game!
Even more info in the README.TXT

And here's what has changed in this "final" version (if you care to read all that!):

Quote:
======================
CHANGES FROM 1.0 TO 1.1
======================

(Major Gameplay Changes)

- The CP/M-99 Android will sometimes rise again (a la Terminator) with just under
half of his lifepoints. Experience for Android has been raised to 130. New sound clip added.

- Enemies now drop "power-ups" (such as ammo, health, and energy) when they die, if your
killing roll is 99 or above. These items can increase your max temporarily if you are already
maxed. Keep in mind though, Zombie Virus Antidotes and Android Restoration Kits
have to be used immediately to have any useful effect. You do not "carry" them. New sound
clips added. Note: heatlh and energy power-ups are lost when you gain a level, so if you have
excess energy and heatlh, and you're about to gain a level, a good tactic is to use it before you
lose it.

- Instant kills will now result in receiving extra EXP (it'll be half the enemies normal experience).
You will also receive a drop for this feat - it's cumlative with the 99 or above drop.

- The spiked wall in sector 16 now has a pratical use, that could help survival. Find out for yourself!

- A salvaged Android will now attack first instead of after you. This should make him more useful,
as he'll also function as a shield.

- Level 5 (Superior Marksmanship) has been reduced in energy cost.

- The Zombie Virus will now "spread" during the latter part of the game. The CP/M-99 Android and the
Angry Mutant are immune to this virus however. The spread is triggered by your rising kill count and
whether or not you've had contact with a Time Zombie.

- A new enemy has been added - the Suicidal Deviant. His critical hits will wound himself as well as you.
It is therefore possible that he could die without a successful hit from the player. On death, the soul
of the Suicidal Deviant will steal 20 energy from the player. New sound clip added.

- CP/M-99 Androids and Angry Mutants will now gain more lifepoints during the latter part of game -
triggered by a rising kill count. This respresents the CP/M-99 Android's model evolution and the
Angry Mutant's regenerative powers. Note: This also affects the CP/M-99 Android's "rising again"
lifepoints.

- Every 5 combat rounds the player will now experience combat fatigue (i.e., -1 energy).

- Synergy bonus added to your roll when you're using an Android to reflect a 2 against 1 advantage
in combat. Also, your Android's roll has been increased. Unlike 1.0, having an Android is
truly worthwhile now.

- A new skill has been added - Android Repair.

- Some enemies now have a dialog path that results in receiving 25 EXP, and also a dialog path that
will result in receiving +1 Energy. The former will not reset, but the latter will reset on meeting
that enemy again (but not if you run away from them). If desperate, these options can sometimes
turn the tide of a losing battle. Hence, if you can't run or do a physical attack without penalty.

- A calculation for time played has been added to [V]iew stats. This was much harder to do than anticipated.

- A rating system has been added to score your peformance if you win. Your score is determined by
time played, number of wounds, and what level you've reached (the lower the better).

(Minor Gameplay Changes)

- Experience for two of the computers found has been raised to 150. This lowers difficulty
starting out.

- John Titor reaction added, when you choose to sleep.

- Sound clip added for locked door in sector 15.

- 's on salvaged Android's name is now capitalized.

- Formating for the CP/M-99 Android text has been fixed for the "stop resisting!" text. This text
has also been changed.

- The Time Zombie will now attack when he's insulted through dialogue.

- Experience required for next level is now shown in [V]iew stats. Also a small calculation glitch has been fixed.

- Last Kill Roll added to [V]iew stats. Note: does not reflect salvaged Android roll, just yours.

- Sector 3 description text has been changed to be less vague.

- Included checks and warning notices for various windows operating systems.

- Ammo calcuations and health routines in certain areas have been expanded and changed to be more precise.

- The default for the Martial Arts skill has been changed to OFF.

- ENEMYNAME and ENEMY LIFE POINTS are no longer blank when you [V]iew stats at start.

- One of the sound clips for your android's death has been removed for not being entirely suitable, and just unnecessary.

- A sound clip has been added for the Angry Mutant's special ability.

- The [V]iew stats screen has been cosmetically improved.

- A registry check for computer's country has been removed.

- Combat messages have been made clearer.

- When you [C]hange weapons the shotgun will only appear if you actually have it. This led to some confusion
before.

- The Angry Mutant's lifepoints have been lowered by 1.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

I've uploaded the latest radio clip of Oliver Williams discussing John Titor on Coast 2 Coast AM with George Noory on march 20 of this year. I've removed the commercials.

>> Listen or Download here <<

Recap from C2C:
"Historian for alleged time traveler John Titor, Oliver Williams reviewed the facts of the remarkable case, and related some of Titor's past predictions to recent news stories. Titor's story has been pieced together from posts he made on Internet discussion boards beginning in November 2000 and ending in March 2001. He claims to have traveled to 1975 from the year 2036 (a period recovering from the devastation of World War III)-- to find an IBM computer that was needed to fix something in his time.

Williams believes that we could be living in an alternate reality that was changed by Titor's visit in 1975. Specifically, he did something to stop Y2K from happening, said Williams. According to the timeline Titor shared, America entered a Civil War between 2005 and 2010, then became involved in a global war which culminated in a nuclear exchange in 2015. By 2036, the population had been reduced by one third, society is more agrarian and the US capitol is in Nebraska. The country is divided up into five main areas, with states having more control.

Williams noted that the upcoming research at CERN may lead to unexpected breakthroughs in time travel-- and that Titor had posted comments connecting experiments at CERN to the development of time travel. Williams has created several podcasts related to the Titor story, which can be viewed on You Tube."

The game of Time Streamer was of course inspired around this story.

###

I short game play video for Time Streamer may be upcoming at some point.