Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #31

reviewer apparently forgot about the fact that the game was made in 3d technique therefore little details, therefore blocky characters and so one. conclusion - morons shouldn't asses the games. speaking of the game - it will always be one of imho better rpgs, i have played it on amiga and it was one of very few amiga roleplays which allow me free movement what was quite crucial at that time (maybe doom was released in the same year, still...) i give it 4.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #32
Ahaz
Smile

Good Grief people you don't know a good game if you tripped over it do you?

All of you are complaining about how bad it is and how horrible the graphics are...Well guess what...If you didn't have the games you had then you wouldn't have the ones you have today.

I personally think it was a head of it's time. You couldn't join everything and do everything all at once you had to think for the quests (If anyone here even remember them.) As for the map, good grief there was no map for the underground and that was just as big if not bigger than the above ground.

There was a ton of thought put into this game just like Wolfensten 3D. Although I see a lot of people LOVED that game....well as far as I am concerned LOV beat's it hands down.

I could beat W3D with a knife on the hardest level because it became so simple for me but with LOV there was always a challenge or a new quest.

You all whine about how bad this game is...but I say it was a great game and I am glad I FINALLY found it again.

Old 26-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #33

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 27 2005, 12:01 PM) [snapback]173030[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The game isn´t really bad. It´s one of the first games with real-time 3D-engine (Wolfenstein 3D is from 1993 too) and not with step-by-step moving like in other older RPGs.
In the review Mr. Miau wrote that the graphics are pixelated. Of course they´re pixelated because it´s a game from 1993. See other old 3D-games like Wolfenstein and Doom of this time.
[/b]
I totally agree. No, there are far worse games than this. Actually I managed to finish the whole and it had some good points, like following people as parts of quests in 3D, buying grab in taverns, and it definitely kept one going. Not better than UU (that was btw ALSO very buggy!) and nowhere near it as a game, but it was still a half-decent game. I would think something like 2.5 out of 5 would be reasonable for the size and effort made for this game. It brings back some memories too, for some of us. Thanks for uploading this game. Way to go!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #34
zilppuri
Lurker

I bought this game on CD-ROM release by Kixx around 1995. I started playing more seriouly around 1997. And I must say it really kicked behind!

This game had many cool features that the sad-excuse-for-a-review didn't tell.

-In night you can buy "continues" from the wondering monks. If you die and have "insurance" you wake up in dungeon and you have to fight your way back up.

-In night fall you could get attacked by vampires. Then you would also become vampire your self. That would mean that no matter how much you eat, the food meter doesn't rise. The only way to do get it up is to go to bar and drink some ox blood. You could got to doctor and he would tell that you suffer from vampirism, and he could heal it if you give some money.

- You could also get bitten by werewolf. Then each time nightfall comes, it would show animation of transforming to werewolf. You then wakeup by dawn in some random location of the town. Again the doctor can cure that.

-There was atleast one cool GTA-style "follow" quest, where you needed to follow a guy from a bar to his hideout. If you went too close, he would see you and run away.

-You can't just "mock" the citizens of the city, but you can also talk to them. You can ask for directions if you are looking for some quest place (like "where is the bank" or "what is a lost soul?" or "what is your name".
They could answer you, or if they were pissed, they could just say "none of your business!"
I didn't see conversation like this before Shenmue came.

Can you guys who really played this remember the cool quests like killing werewolf to find compass that points to a lost soul? You find out in taverns that city hall is collecting empty bottles, so you go there and find one, and catch the lost soul in bottle!

Also I remember sleeping in someones house, and the next day I get arrested for doing just that. And if you just sleep on the street, people would steal your money.

The guy who reviewed the game did terrible job. Seems like he didn't play it when it was released at all?
Yes the game does have sound effects, granted quite low quality. Still it was very spooky to here the owls call in the night.

Also as noted several times here, the reviewer has no idea of the graphical quality of that era games.

Much better review can be found from: http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBA1/LoVal.html
zilppuri is offline                         Send a private message to zilppuri
Old 23-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #35

Full 3D, big city, and really freedom, you can do what you want. I played very long on Amiga and I very like this game.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #36
John Braham
Lurker

Thanks for this, at last someone who actually gave the game a chance, I personally loved the game, it had lots of intersting quests, a hell of o lot more intersting than a lot of modern games where you just sit there listening to some boring NPC drivel on for hours.

In addition to the things mentioned below, there where guilds to join and religions, and you could be a good egg for your guild or religeon and gain rank, people would react differently depending on your guild and rank, you could get good at trading spices and upgrade to a really nice tavern.

I remember the sense of relief sometimes of getting back to the tavern when it got dark and all the freaky things came out to play...

Actually I'm trying to get this working again because it's my favourite RPG, sure there's so many things which could be improved, but I havn;t yet found an RPG which improved on them, at least not withou making you listen to hours of boring monolouge you don't care about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilppuri View Post
I bought this game on CD-ROM release by Kixx around 1995. I started playing more seriouly around 1997. And I must say it really kicked behind!

This game had many cool features that the sad-excuse-for-a-review didn't tell.

-In night you can buy "continues" from the wondering monks. If you die and have "insurance" you wake up in dungeon and you have to fight your way back up.

-In night fall you could get attacked by vampires. Then you would also become vampire your self. That would mean that no matter how much you eat, the food meter doesn't rise. The only way to do get it up is to go to bar and drink some ox blood. You could got to doctor and he would tell that you suffer from vampirism, and he could heal it if you give some money.

- You could also get bitten by werewolf. Then each time nightfall comes, it would show animation of transforming to werewolf. You then wakeup by dawn in some random location of the town. Again the doctor can cure that.

-There was atleast one cool GTA-style "follow" quest, where you needed to follow a guy from a bar to his hideout. If you went too close, he would see you and run away.

-You can't just "mock" the citizens of the city, but you can also talk to them. You can ask for directions if you are looking for some quest place (like "where is the bank" or "what is a lost soul?" or "what is your name".
They could answer you, or if they were pissed, they could just say "none of your business!"
I didn't see conversation like this before Shenmue came.

Can you guys who really played this remember the cool quests like killing werewolf to find compass that points to a lost soul? You find out in taverns that city hall is collecting empty bottles, so you go there and find one, and catch the lost soul in bottle!

Also I remember sleeping in someones house, and the next day I get arrested for doing just that. And if you just sleep on the street, people would steal your money.

The guy who reviewed the game did terrible job. Seems like he didn't play it when it was released at all?
Yes the game does have sound effects, granted quite low quality. Still it was very spooky to here the owls call in the night.

Also as noted several times here, the reviewer has no idea of the graphical quality of that era games.

Much better review can be found from: http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBA1/LoVal.html
John Braham is offline                         Send a private message to John Braham
Old 07-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #37
Pete72
Angry Hmm.. review is very biased and provides no detail

Okay, taking into consideration the time the game came out, I would not say it is as bad as the review suggests.

First of all, I am amazed to find reviewers who write a review when they have not actually FINISHED the game. FYI, when the game came out, I enjoyed it very much, as did a close friend of mine at the time (we were sharing an apartment at uni). In fact, I probably finished it 2-3 times. I take offence at the nonsense "that's the only thing you deserve" of the reviewer. I mean give us a break! That's quality review? I don't like this game and if you don't then go sod off?

The storyline unfolds slowly over time, and contains enough variation and some original idea for its time. Of course, it is NOT like UW, not NEAR that good. But it's a DIFFERENT kind of game, I'd say more reminiscent of a TES:Arena style. Quests with people following you, delivering messages etc are all there; and the dungeons are long-ish and alas very difficult to navigate through (mapping very annoying). But that's not the end of the world, not for a hardcore gamer; in fact it's a challenge! True, even in those days it was a mediocre game, but it had some nasty puzzles at points and I also recall that at some point you would turn into a werewolf of sorts, with sudden dramatic cinematic effects (nothing major for what we've seen today); something reminiscent of the TES lore, as I said above.

I do not claim this is a top game. But I would give this 3/5 (with UW and UW2 getting in my books 5/5, being among the crop of RPG series to date).

I will say this: even if it looks average, give this game a chance. DO spend some time with it. You can buy food to eat, sleep at an inn, trade, walk around in a relatively large world, find hidden areas, unfold a special kind of story, with puzzles etc. It kind of grows on you. Not a bad deal for a free game.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:17 AM   #38
Pete72
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
I didn't rate it yet, but it was one of the buggiest games I ever played. SSI's PR person at the time told me that it had received the most tech support phonecalls of any game that'd done up to that point.

I had several gamestopper bugs, then discovered some major design flaws--can you envision potholes in the guards' corridor that drop you into some kind of netherhell? And that guards can walk over it without any problems? :blink:
I played the game in the UK. The only phone calls I made were to help solve the game. I really had no technical problems with the game. I am not sure if there are different versions or if a patch became available but as I said elsewhere I finished the game with no problem a few times.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #39
Talkienotlogin

So this doesn't install. It asks for Disk 2 in Dosbox. If I start LOV, there is no sound. Obviously the sound files are in the folder but you can't configure them without installing.

If there is any bright bulb around, this would be a perfect opportunity to show off, because this technical request has been asked about for years (read precedent entries) and no one yet as managed to answer for this problem.

Thanks,

Talkie

Old 11-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #40
Talkienotlogin

Actually, if someone has the original diskets or Cd-Rom (the Kixx version, which is just the disket version on Cd-Rom, though a full FM-Town Marty Cd-Rom version was published in Japan), it would be great to make an ISO or images of the disket.

I concur with the other opinions here that the reviewer is off the mark. A
full textured 3D environment of the quality of Legends Of Valour started by 1991 at the earliest, but even for 1992 and 1993, it was quite up to the standard. It really looks like a mix Ultima Underworld and Wolfenstein 3D, and seems rather vast to explore. I feel like this is going to be fine for me, if I can play it with the music.

Talkie