Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Is 25000 GBP per year a lot for UK (region is Scotland)? Is it sort medium, well off or very good?

Do offers usually include tax or does it usually still need to be deducted from the amount?
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 21-11-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Nov 21 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]267899[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Is 25000 GBP per year a lot for UK (region is Scotland)? Is it sort medium, well off or very good?

Do offers usually include tax or does it usually still need to be deducted from the amount?
[/b]
As far as I know the figures given are usually before taxes.
About medium, I'd say. 25,000 is about how much the average academic who's been in his job for a while and is about two thirds of the way up the hierarchy earns per year - but they're generally said to be underpaid. I'd say it's not bad, and it's definitely a salary you can comfortably live by, but it isn't really an amazingly high salary either, since living costs in the UK are quite high. It would really depend on what sort of job it was for and whether it would have to cover rent etc.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 21-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

Whatever you make, it will be $5,000 less than what you need to live "comfortably" (as in, without worry).
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 21-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Fourth @ Nov 21 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]267947[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Whatever you make, it will be $5,000 less than what you need to live "comfortably" (as in, without worry).
[/b]
Is that always the case?
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 21-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Fourth @ Nov 21 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]267947[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
Who said "comfortably" meant "without worry"?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 21-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A. J. Raffles @ Nov 21 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]267915[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Nov 21 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]267899[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
As far as I know the figures given are usually before taxes.
About medium, I'd say. 25,000 is about how much the average academic who's been in his job for a while and is about two thirds of the way up the hierarchy earns per year - but they're generally said to be underpaid. I'd say it's not bad, and it's definitely a salary you can comfortably live by, but it isn't really an amazingly high salary either, since living costs in the UK are quite high. It would really depend on what sort of job it was for and whether it would have to cover rent etc.
[/b][/quote]

well i was looking for marketing manager of some sort. i don't think the salary includes anything. yeah it would have to cover the rent. the thing is as i notice that the only differenence between us and the rest of EU is basically rent price and maybe petrol, although the latter has smaller difference then it used to be. Still surprisingly food, clothes, furniture, appliances, computers etc. is either cheaper or similar price in Germany, Austria, Italy, France... The huge difference is in rent. here you can get a single room flat for about 100 EUR/month (unequiped) + costs (which should be about 250 eur/month).

with same food (and other goods) prices we do have much lower salaries. which is sort of frustrating and i can't wait for January when we start introducing the Euro, so that people may finnaly start to question why such difference. Well currently i am undepaid (strange company) but i know that coleagues would earn 900-1000 EUR nett. i earn 30-40% less. so i am searching. mostly i search in my country (good social care, better environment etc.), but if i got something intertesting abroad i would consider it. i think going abroad for a year or two can really expand your horizont and change the way of thinking. too many people here are narrow minded. <_<
Old 21-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

I'm lucky... I earn 1833€ a month, minimum, and I pay 277€ a month for rent, which is couple of hundreds of euros cheaper than normally. I'm 18.
Some time ago I was looking for apartments in England, I was considering taking a job there. But I didn't take it because the apartments were soooo expensive
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 21-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It's supposed to be a bit better as you go further north, but then again you're probably more likely to find a job in the south...

@gregor: Are you sure about food being the same price? I've always thought that food here is quite expensive actually - I can't speak for any of the other countries you mentioned, but definitely more so than in Germany.
Old 21-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #9
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A. J. Raffles @ Nov 21 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]268001[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
@gregor: Are you sure about food being the same price? I've always thought that food here is quite expensive actually - I can't speak for any of the other countries you mentioned, but definitely more so than in Germany.
[/b]
restorants it is still cheaper here, but supermarkets it's more expencive or same price.

i dont' know... how to compare? here a loaf of bread in supermarket 1.6 - 2 EUR,

then you have juices 1.37 EUR. Blueberry is 2 eur (1 liter), peach is 1.5 EUR/l, coke (1.5l) is 1 EUR

Bananas 0.83 EUr/kg, grapefruit 1.58/kg...

cornflakes 1,48 EUR /pcs (250g), 10 eggs 1,25 EUR.

lunch in restaurant is 8-10 EUR (ehm, just the main dish actually). pizza in restaurant is 6 EUR. beer (0.5l) is 2 EUR. juice (2dcl) is 1.7 eur.

male jeans is 30-35 EUR (no particular brand), shoes are 50 EUR (made in China or Italy).

oh fancy women undewear (cause i bought some for my wife) here is 50 Eur (same stuff in Italy is 35-40 EUR).
Old 21-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Well I'm a student and I make $7.25/h canadian funds. I work at a grocery store as a service clerk, yay!
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister