golan
Forum hobbit

Now I found it! Thanks

Slaying dragons is so fun!
golan is offline                         Send a private message to golan
Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #202
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Here is a link to the "Editable Codex" it has all the information you should need on any of the Ultima games.

http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #203
golan
Forum hobbit

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #204
golan
Forum hobbit

Just finished the game an hour or so ago.

This game is truely remarkable, especially for its time (1990!). First and foremost, this is one of the few CRPGs (especially for that era) with no Big Bad Evil Guy at the end (I won't spoil it for you by giving any further deatils) but rather an interesting and complex plot that needs to be resolved. Second, the attention to details is amazing: not only is this game full of NPCs, each with a name, a face, a story and a personality, but these NPCS actually follow a daily schedule and not only that, but they do so by walking rather than "teleporting". For example, in some of the towns the shopowners go to hang out in the pub in the evening before going to bed, and Lord British could be found eating meals at the castle's dining room.

Even Morrowind doesn't have such cool things, despite being more than a whole decade newer!
Old 23-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #205
DaAuCa

Wink Prepare, Long post.

I remember playing this great game when I was younger, about 10 years old. It was the real only game that I played and loved due to its free roaming, spells, interactivity and such!

But right now I wonder if anyone found out if its possible to solve that mystery about the House at Sale located at the North of Lycaeum? If you see through the window, there is blood there, there surely was a murder before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golan View Post
The single real disadvantage this great game has is the fact that there is only one save game slot; if you screw up, you have to start again from the beginning.

I screwed up: I left my ship at what I believed to be Trinsic and then used the red moongate to teleport away to Britannia, but when I went back there the ship wasn't there. I suspect that I left it in Serpent's Hold by mistake... So I either have to raise another 300 gold (time-consuming bash at the Cyclop's Cave), or start again...
(Again, when I was that age) I remember noticing that the Savegame folder(if there was any) was starting to increase in size(either MBs or KBs) as I saved the game. And in my ignorance, or better said, curiousity, I deleted some files(I think the newest ones) from that folder(I think I noticed NEW files, not Modified ones). The result was to later continue playing the game from an OLDer saved file!
It was as if the game itself had its own back up!.
However, I don't know if it was something common in game, or it was due to those deleted files, that when fighting gargoyles at the Shrine of Valor, the game crashed.

So, I won't suggest it as the %100 'best-option'. But if anyone comes to suffer that, try it and tell us if this still works.

Another tip: Once you get further in game, you won't ever need ships unless you like to fire cannons(can't remember if they still existed Inside ships in U6). Because there will be another way of transporting that can take you almost anywhere(for not giving out the recipe, spoilers or whatever). Go to the library at Lycaeum if you want to guess what Im talking about, eslewise, continue reading.

One of the most unusual, and I think its a bug, and tricky ways to pass through the statues at the Isle Of The Avatar, is to have at least 6 party members(I suggest you to fill your party).
Then do the following:
Go flying to the Isle Of The Avatar(however you wished, but you need to use the balloon)
Stop right between the two statues. As you won't be allowed to go forth, you'll stay one tile before.
THERE, try to exit the balloon. As there won't be enough room, some party members will stay on the Other side of the Statues(the one which is supposed to be impossible).

As I wanted the Avatar to pass through, I used the balloon again(don't worry, if the Avatar can get into, the rest will also) and repeated the process till the avatar were the one left on the North Side of the Statues.

Hey! I feel like a hacker! I guess no one ever expected to cheat the game like this! Hahaha... I did this since child
I'll not run Ultima at fullscreen so I can take a Screenshot once I reach that part. Just in case you were lazy enough to read this, or you want any visual description(Im talking to whoever is reading).

I've got another doubt: Is it possible to play that game that is played in Paws? It includes a bone... something about a hat... Dunno...
Also: Is it possible to weave in this Ultima? Can I take any book from the Library? Because I know that the Book of Mantras can be traded for either gold or the Unique and devasting Armageddon spell that kills everyone but you and Lord British, and the Wizard of Oz can be given to LB for a 20gems reward.

I'll continue helping anyone who needs at this game. Just ask, I'll be here!
DaAuCa is offline                         Send a private message to DaAuCa
Old 28-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #206
ArchangelGabriel

I don't get it ... If I take the raw I downloaded here the game runs smooth with sound. But only until I met the gipsy during character creation. After that the game says there were already a game running and I had to reinstall. If I do this I can create a new character and see the intro but sound is missing. The install file seems to crash right after giving all desired information - at least it drops back to windows in the istant. I'm using DOSBox 0.73 and DOSBox Game Launcher. Any suggestions and thanks in advance.
ArchangelGabriel is offline                         Send a private message to ArchangelGabriel
Old 28-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #207
ArchangelGabriel

Hm, think I can't edit my previous post. I tried to play the game from another source. That one worked a little better. I could make a character and play right on. But when I got into the first play screen there was no sound at all (even though during intro and character creation the sound was even better than before). Another install killed the sound during intro but I got at least sound effects during gameplay, though no music.
This game's tough to configure.
ArchangelGabriel is offline                         Send a private message to ArchangelGabriel
Old 28-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #208
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Use these settings:
Sound Blaster 16 (or highest Sound Blaster model on the list - remember that Pro series is better than "plain" SB), IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #209
ArchangelGabriel

Problem is you cannot use those settings as there is no exact SB Model in the list. I finally got it to work with an Adlib setting. Now there is music all over the time and sound effects even though the sound crackles. Thanks anyway
Old 29-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #210
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Ultima 6 only plays digital sound effects through the PC Speaker, it was made in 1989 and therefore it doesn't support sound effects through a sound card, only music. Since the PC Speaker option doesn't have support for hardware acceleration eventhough it is often played on modern PC's through a sound card, it crackles if played in DosBox.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty