Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #251
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

All mounted drives should use successive letters. Unless you already have a D and E mount, you should mount the drive as D.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #252
Mocker

YES! It finally worked! The trick was to mount the cd as E -t cdrom with the KRONDOR label. I have no idea why, but it worked.

Old 15-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #253
Mocker
Thumbs up

I'm sorry for the blatant double posts, but does anyone have tips regarding the sound settings? The music is lovely, but it gets "hiccups" every three to five seconds, as well as every time another sound is being played. Is it possible to have several sound channels in order to avoid this, and if so, how?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me rediscovering Betrayal at Krondor!

Old 15-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #254
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If your cycles in dosbox.conf are set to auto, set a distinct value instead. If core is set to auto, set it to dynamic instead.
There are a few tweaks to the buffering that could help as well, but I don't have them on hand right now. Will post them later.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #255
Mocker
Default 4g2JJz

Thanks, got most of the kinks sorted out now!
The only bother now is that the music fades out after a minute or so. Maybe it's not supposed to loop like the MIDI does.

Old 16-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #256
shadeemry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocker View Post
Thanks, got most of the kinks sorted out now!
The only bother now is that the music fades out after a minute or so. Maybe it's not supposed to loop like the MIDI does.

thats normal, back in 93 thats what it did, however the music you hear isn't midi its the actual cd track, and since their is 54 plus tracks they are all about a minute to 2 long at best.
shadeemry is offline                         Send a private message to shadeemry
Old 16-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #257
shadeemry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeemry View Post
thats normal, back in 93 thats what it did, however the music you hear isn't midi its the actual cd track, and since their is 54 plus tracks they are all about a minute to 2 long at best.

And yes, i bought this when it first came out , $54.95.. danm good price back then.
shadeemry is offline                         Send a private message to shadeemry
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #258
Astaldo711

I never got into this game. It was one of those that I'd install, play a little and then uninstall. A little later I'd try it again, play a little more and lose interest.
Astaldo711 is offline                         Send a private message to Astaldo711
Old 21-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #259
Capo
Unconventional member

I started this game some days ago and looks pretty hard.
Any suggestion is welcome
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 22-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #260
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
I started this game some days ago and looks pretty hard.
Any suggestion is welcome
It really isn't that hard. Combat follows simple logic: keep your magic users to the back, and remember, if they're next to an opponent, they can't cast--but that applies to enemy magicusers, too. As magic is very powerful in the game, try to take mages out in battle, first.

While you can toggle to follow the road, stepping off the road to the sides will often yield interesting results: hidden caches in the ground, ward chests, sometimes NPCs wandering around, etc.

The word puzzles on chests are really very easy. Often the answer is a pun that solves a riddle, so think first along those lines before spinning the wheel dials. I think I figured out every one of them on my first try.

The thing about traps is that if you have trouble lining things up, send your party member with the highest hit points through. After they get hit by a lightning bolt or fireball, and gotten to a safe area in the trap, have them stop. Wait several turns, and watch their strength build up. Only when that process is finished should you move them ahead, again. All you need to do is get one party member out the other side--not all.

In every chapter check out as much of the land as you can, because things will change for the next chapter, and you may miss secondary quests, as well as interesting items. Some things won't change, but others definitely will. Revisit buildings you've been to, before. Closed houses may become taverns, and shops may reopen that have been closed.

Don't barrel through the game at high speed. You'll find yourself getting ambushed, as well as missing hidden stuff on the ground.

Lockpicking isn't an absolute figure, but uses a value from your party member along with a random roll against the lock number. So if you don't succeed on your first try, you may on your fifth, or tenth. However, you may also break your current lockpick. Fortunately, they're very cheap, and stack in your inventory. Also, your lockpicker gains a bit of skill whether he/she succeeds, or not.

Save regularly. The combat options are slim, but that means the AI has fewer concerns, and it's usually very, very good. There's never any cheating involved, but Be Prepared is a good motto.

You'll eventually find and be able to buy both elemental-flavored attack enhancers and protection. Use both liberally. Your characters' knapsacks are very limited for space, and it would be a shame to leave some of that stuff behind, when it helps so much in combat.

Check every building, but save first. Save before you accomplish the final objective for a chapter, because you may end up with completely different characters for the next one. That means different inventory, and something you really liked (such as an amulet that assists in opening locks) won't transfer.

Watch for images forming in the road at the distance. They're probably attacks waiting to happen. Save, then enter, and see if you can ambush them. Even if not, you may have to deal with them, and it's better to approach and slowly and be aware.

Besides hastily covered pits and chests, two other sources of hidden objects are dead bodies, and tree stumps. Be sure to check all of these for items.

Read all the text about items you find, because not everything that looks the same, is the same. If the text says that food you've found doesn't look or smell right, for example, take it seriously. It's probably spoiled, or poisoned.

Magic is handled differently in BaK than in many other games. You find, are given, or purchase scrolls that are then learned by a magicuser in your party. They don't get them through the grace of the airwaves by making levels. (And I find this much more realistic, personally.) You'll find a monastery or something similar to it on a trail to the left as you head towards your main goal in chapter one--and a monk tending a farm on the main road directly after that trail. Walk through the farm area, and a dialog with him will pop up. He'll give you a very useful free scroll, and offer to sell you another. Agree.

You raise skills through use, but you can designate for each party member a few skills to go up quicker than others. I suggest giving one party member weaponcraft (repairing weapons), another scouting, etc. These skills don't gain for being spread across your party. On the other hand, everybody should have accuracy, which affects melee as well as ranged and magical attacks.

Books are very useful. You will find them, buy them, and receive them as quest rewards. Each party member may read the same to their benefit, but first, be sure you have plenty of food handy. Because a lot of time passes while reading, and a party that goes a full day or more without eating and sleeping is going to be very tired and starved when it finishes with a book.

You can deposit objects in chests/caches, and another party you run in a later chapter will find them there. This means you can place a book, extra weapon damage enhancers, etc, in a chest for future use. This is a tradeoff with selling for cash, however, so you have to be the judge.

Make a record of all the prices on selling and buying at various shops, because the differences are very considerable.

In chapter 2, you will find that the town of Romney is under siege. While that's in progress, you can sell anything you have for an enormous amount of gold there. (Don't buy from there, obviously. Buy elsewhere.) This can make you tons of money--until you solve the guild crisis, which involves approaching a guild master's house further south on the main road. I suggest avoiding the main quest, and checking out all the sidequests, selling stuff there, until you are really ready. Because after the crisis is solved, and the guild boycott is ended...? Prices return to normal.

When venturing through dungeons and mines, always carry rope. Portions of corridors may simply fall away, and your party will fall to their deaths without rope. You will use a portion of rope for each time your group has to cross a chasm.

Ask about anything else, and you shall be answered as well as possible.

Last edited by Borodin; 22-08-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin