Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
retrodrifter

Question Abandonia MS-DOS Boot Disk and audio drivers

I joined this forum while searching for PCI drivers that will support legacy PCI Sound Blaster cards. I downloaded a self extracting "Abandonia MS-DOS Boot Disk" executable file from another website that supposedly worked with unique sound card drivers that were made available at www.abandonia.com five or ten years ago. I am interested in the drivers to help complete a PC build. It has an Ubuntu hard drive and a separate MS DOS 6.22 hard drive. Do the legacy PCI sound card drivers sound familiar to anyone and are they still available somewhere on www.abandonia.com? I could easily get sound going with an old ISA motherboard, but that is not my goal on this machine. Would appreciate any feedback.
retrodrifter is offline                         Send a private message to retrodrifter
Old 30-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The Internet Archive has stored a copy of that:
http://web.archive.org/web/200610171...0Emulation.zip

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
retrodrifter

Wink

The Fifth Horseman, thanks for replying! The Abandonia zip files that you pointed me to contain actual drivers which the "Boot Disk" executable that I already had did not. This moves me closer to my objective. One remaining question would be, is there archived documentation regarding:
1. Installation procedures.
2. Compatible versions of DOS and Windows.
3. Whether or not sound card specific Windows drivers must be installed along with the DOS Abandonia emulation drivers for use in an MS-DOS protected mode window or if they will run alone in real mode DOS.
4. What sound cards are compatible (I read on another site that the SB PCI128 card is).

Thanks again, let me know if If my questions are getting bit too retro (I started out with DOS when it was high tech)!
retrodrifter is offline                         Send a private message to retrodrifter
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'll go through the forum archive and see if something can be found.

3. Must be installed. Expect a lot of issues with soundcard config, though - like the sound setup using completely different IRQ, DMA and Adress in DOS and in Windows.
4. It seems you can find a driver that specifically supports your card here: http://easymamecab.mameworld.info/html/snddosdr.htm - this might be preferable to a generic "one-size-fits-all" driver.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
retrodrifter

Talking

The Mame sight helped a lot. After reading over the different sound cards that they support, I did some additional hardware research and managed to find a new ENSONIQ AudioPCI card for $13 US including shipping on Ebay. It looks like it came new with drivers to cover both MS DOS ver 6 (w/o Windows) and Windows 95 (DOS ver 7). That should cover all of the bases for me. I can try the optimized gaming drivers that you pointed out as well.

Thanks again and Long Live DOS!