Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
catchaserguns
Games Master

I have this game from the Gamefest compilation and it doesn't want ot work on dosbox. i keep on getting an error saying "cannot open resource file". I tried to do what they said at the dosbox forum but it didn't work. They told me to copy all the RES, CINE, and CGEN files from the cd to where I installed the game to. I also had to change the INFO file and after I did all of that I still got that error message. Can someone please help me?
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 28-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if its abandonware maybe you could upload it and we d try?

btw you can also try using vdmsound or compatibilty options in windows itself ..or older windows on virtual machine (downloadable from the microsoft site)
Old 29-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
catchaserguns
Games Master

Unfortunately its still considered sold according to the oldwarez page on this site so I can't upload it. If someone has the Gamefest cds and has solved this problem please give me advice.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 29-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

and what about the vdm sound and/or virtual machine?
Old 29-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
mirrorshades
Forum hobbit

How many RES files do you have in the directory? Mine (not off the compilation you're referring to) has 11, with filenames RES0 through RES10.
mirrorshades is offline                         Send a private message to mirrorshades
Old 29-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
catchaserguns
Games Master

You are right about the amount of RES files and when I had to copy them I guess something got corrupted or something. Or maybe the whole thing was meant only to be played on Windows 98. If you go to the DOSBOX forum of their site you know what I mean.

and even though me myself said that it would be maybe meant to be played in win98 only, but im not as wise enough to follow russes advice about virtual machine and ignore him

edited by _r.u.s.s.

:P