Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
Evad
Game freak

Hey I'm back with another problem.
I finally got all of my partitions formated, but now the problem is my video card.I have a radeon 9600xt 128 mb. I usually use the omega drivers, and they seemed to be working fine.The problems arose after I wiped my c: with bcwipe. Up until that time the omega drivers seemed to be functioning, but I don't see how this could be a problem because bcwipe only wiped the unused portion of my c: and shouldn't have even come close to the drivers or any other important files in windows.after bcwipe finished I rebooted and was presented with a desktop reminiscent of win3.1. The settings were ultra low and windows was saying I was useing a driver that was outdated or something. Ok, so I decide to check out the newest catalyst bundle (I went to omega because catalyst has always given me problems. This time is no different.) After I wiped my drivers clean with the uninstal utility and installed the newest catalyst drivers catalyst control pannel will not load. I get an error message. So now I have uninstalled the catalyst control utility and am still useing the driver. I am planning on downloading ati tool and just useing that in conjunction with the catalyst drivers. Does anyone have a better solution? I made sure I downloaded the windows 2000/xp catalys driver, and I made sure I had a clean driver setting before any of the instalations.

Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 11-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Before installing the Omega drivers you should have uninstalled not just the previous drivers but more importantly the control utility. It says so clearly.
I don't know the utility you used for formatting your drive (is it freeware?), but I guess it is always possible that something went wrong in the process.

Unistall the control utilities, unistall the drivers, run driver cleaner (follow the instructions closely), and then (after a reboot I think) install omega drivers.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 12-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
Evad
Game freak

Before installing the omega drivers initially, I had no drivers installed what-so-ever. Is it necessary to uninstall the drivers windows auto assigns it during the WinXP installatrion process?
As to formating, I followed your directions of formating my drives. But how I was doing it before, in explorer, was loading the second windows on my other drive. It askes you which installation you want to load from if you have two OS's installed on their own hard drives. I simply was loading from the F: installation, and attempting to delete the C: one. I knew it was a bad idea, but I was desparate, and impatient, so I did it. The important step for me here was changing the bios start up sequence.
My only explanation for this occurance was the shredder program I used. But, if this is the case I'm asking for a refund because that sucks.
anyways, thanx for your help, although, my Bf2 game just crashed. I better go get ati tool.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad